Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#6230 - 05/14/02 06:03 PM Bivy bags
WOFT Offline

Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
I'm thinking of getting a bivy sac, but they arent sold in South<br>Africa, so i don't have a chance to test them myself. the weather is generally dry, so I dont hike with a tent, but there are often unexpected downpoors and thunderstorms, and it is depressingly uncomfortsble spending the night in a not breathable garbage bag (i personally think you get just about as wet in a survival bag as you get in drizzle). please help me out. what are the pros and cons of the bivy's, the alternatives and the best places to buy them (on-line, obviously). thanks a million.

#6231 - 05/14/02 06:12 PM Re: Bivy bags
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
I use an Outdoor Research Advanced Bivy on a regular basis. I like it alot. A major complaint with Bivy sacks is that they are clausterphobic and clammy. I have overcome these limitations by simply erecting a small canopy directly over my head using a poncho or an umbrella. A 1 meter square of bug netting is also a very nice addition to carry along. By leaving my face open to the air, bivy life is very enjoyable and much better, IMHO, than tent life!

#6232 - 05/14/02 07:32 PM Re: Bivy bags
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
WOFT,<br><br>Check out www.rei.com. They have a large selection of bivy sacks, in a wide range of prices.<br><br>Check out their comparison charts of all the lightweight shelters they sell.<br><br>I have the Outdoor Research Basic with GoreTex top and coated nylon bottom and an older REI model that is all coated nylon.<br><br>I would not buy the coated nylon model again, it is essentially a mummy shaped trash bag...OK but moist.<br><br>Neither one of these has a loop tent pole arrangement to keep the sack off your face. I have only used them as bivy shelters. I prefer a tent a tarp or nothing to sleeping in. I have not found these to be a great primary shelter, but an excellent emergency shelter for climbing or a "waterproof" cover for use in a snow cave.<br><br>Also check out light weight single person tents, (ie MSR Zoid 1), 1.5-2 kg and about the same price as some of the bivy sacks.<br>

#6233 - 05/15/02 04:16 AM Re: Bivy bags
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
I personally like to use a hammock. It keeps you off the ground and the Hennessy Hammock in particular has a rainfly to keep the downpour off. I have this hammock and would not part with this for any tent / bivy. It functions as tent/tarp/bivy/seat etc. Of course you need 2 trees or large rocks to secure the thing to.....<br><br>It is reasonably priced and very lightweight.( I have no financial interest) www.rei.com stocks this as well. You can also visit the website www.hennessyhammock.com.<br><br>Best thing I ever bought.<br>

#6234 - 05/16/02 04:15 AM Re: Bivy bags
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have used a bivy system for years. It has been very light, versatile, kept me warm & dry and I’m to the point that I can set up fairly quickly. I too have used it in conjunction with a tarp, and a bug screen draped “teepee-like” over the head area if it’s buggy. The bug screen is hung from a cord-- often the cord which suspends the tarp. I use a mountain hardware goretex model and used to use an Early Winters goretex one as well. When I started using this system, a light tent was four to five lbs. I’m now to a sub-two lbs, which includes the bivy, tarp, cordage and a few stakes and screw-eyes (great for making a tie-off point on a log or tree or root). So, it’s a very light alternative to many tents. The tarp I’m now using is an Integral Designs “Sil-tarp” which is very light and takes up very little space-- I’ve been able to cram it into a pocket while setting up tarp lines. The tarp is a great idea even for tent-camping. We have used it as a group area for eating, cooking and being neighborly in. Otherwise everyone in a party of people stands in the rain together or leaves to their shelters. The tarps don’t work well in a heavy wind, although I’ve managed by stringing it tightly out and closer to the ground.<br>Another plus is that it’s very easy to set up camp in a very small area. I’ve slept in boulder fields where it would have been impossible to set up a tent. Also, in a pinch, I’ve slept in the middle of the trail (caught by darkness).<br>Minuses include not sleeping with my wife if I’m in the bivy-- That may be a plus in some marriages at some times-- She insists on a tent. And, I must admit that some of the “tarp-tents” which weigh very little are looking attractive. Integral Designs also is a good place to look at-- REI sells some of their products-- but they are as if not more expensive than many of the more traditional tents. <br>Be aware that the listed weight on many of the tents does not include the stuff bag, stakes, cordage for guy lines-- also that the listed weights may vary quite a bit from the actual product. Be sure and check out Blueline Outfitters and see if Barry has any bivys. I prefer the basic bivy without any loops-- I'm usually with a tarp remember-- they are lighter as well. I've never used the Hennessy Hammock but I'd like to give one a try someday.<br>:v) Good luck and drop me a message if you've got any Q's & what you decide on.<br>9-fingers (a sappy bivy lover)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 232 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.