The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6191 - 05/09/02 04:01 PM Double Size PSK Tin
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I have found a tin that is about twice the volume of an Altoids tin, but only slightly thicker. It is a Goddard’s Cabinet Makers Wax tin.<br><br>This tin is a slightly oval rectangular shape. It is 4 ½ x 3 11/16 x 15/16 inch, (110 x 92 x 23 mm), with about a 2mm concave bottom and flat slip-over lid. The volume is approximately 210 ml. This comes with 4.5 ounces of excellent furniture wax. <br><br>An Altoids tin is 3 5/8 x 2 ¼ x 13/15, (91 x 56 x 20 mm) and the volume is approximately 100 ml.<br><br>I consider this to be a large shirt pocket tin. The slightly dished bottom makes this fit my shirt pocket comfortably and the larger size prevents it from sliding around.<br><br>Here is a link that has a picture of the tin: http://www.horton-brasses.com/products/polishes.<br><br>I found this wax at Restoration Hardware for $12. They also carry Goddard’s Marble wax in the same size tin. I removed the wax to a shoe polish tin and am working out the contents.<br><br><br>

#6192 - 05/09/02 10:34 PM Re: Double Size PSK Tin
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

arent tabacco tins withs the most people use 110 x 80 x 30 mm ? atleast i have seen these "tabacco" tins in diffrent kind of shop over here... they claim that they are airtight so that would be a nice feature. but they cost round 4.50 Euro with a snicker placed on top of it.. havent seen non stickered versions.. <br>

#6193 - 05/10/02 12:41 AM Re: Double Size PSK Tin
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
PC2K,<br><br>Tobacco tins seem to be the "standard" PSK tin. Altoids tins definitely run a close second or maybe even first choice for tins, at least on this forum. <br><br>I have found Altoids tins to be a bit too small and am always looking for a better container. I only have one tobacco tin, which has the advantage of a rubber-like seal on the lid, making it, at least in theory, easier to waterproof. I do not think mine is 30 mm deep however. Doug has stated he uses the smaller tobacco tin for his kit, this is probably what I have. I have not set this kit up yet.<br><br>I really like the size of this wax tin, and plan on setting it up to replace my shirt pocket kit which currently is carried in a plastic flyfishing box. I find this fly box at 30mm to be too thick for comfortable shirt pocket carry.<br><br>4.50 Euro seems like a good price for a big tin of tobacco...Washington state has really high taxes (70%) on tobacco.

#6194 - 05/10/02 02:22 AM Re: Double Size PSK Tin
Anonymous
Unregistered

People still don't seem to be willing to try round tins. I have so far been quite happy with my Penaten Baby Cream tin. I have nearly everything in it that most everyone else has, except for a couple of things like a wire saw; however, there is still room in my tin for that once I acquire it. I do have a number of altoids tins which I am playing around with, but I am not confident that I can get everything in an Altoids tin that I have in my round tin. I do have an "urban" survival kit in an Altoids tin, but that contains mostly band-aids, safety pins, $50 (Cdn), duct-tape, tinfoil and other small odds and ends. <br><br>I have read other posts that encourage the use of two altoids tins, one for meds, the other for the rest. I am contemplating this; however, I am reluctant to open and play with my round tin as I am quite happy with it. I am slowly building up a duplicate set of survival gear to eventually build a two-altoid-tin PSK.<br><br>Ironbirdexplorer<br><br>

#6195 - 05/10/02 02:40 AM Re: Double Size PSK Tin
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ironbird, Getting started is what counts.This isn't a fashion show with Altoid tins a de riguer accessory. Finding and testing different containers is a fun sideline ; much like collecting chess sets. The game is still our motivation ;O)

#6196 - 05/10/02 02:54 AM Re: Double Size PSK Tin
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
<<People still don't seem to be willing to try round tins>><br><br>Oh, I think they can be just dandy. I've some useful things stowed in 500 count .177 RWS pellet tins, for example. Those are a bit small - which is exactly why I chose them for their particualr uses. One good wrap of tape and they are waterproof enough for anything I'm likely to fall into.<br><br>Haven't tried them yet, but there are some interesting surplus "German butter tins" available that look good for that sort of thing. So many ideas, so little time...<br><br>Having said that - it does seem to me that a round tin could be a little awkward to stick in a shirt pocket, compared to a retangular tin of equal volume. Just depends on how large a tin one chooses, eh? OTOH, some things will fit better in a round tin, so...<br><br>Don't know the answer to your knife question; sorry. I'm so new to neck knives that I haven't even absorbed the idea yet... however, a lot of folks really like Mora-type knives for that and they sure are inexpensive. (Time for Chris et al to chime in...)<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom

#6197 - 05/10/02 03:03 AM Re: Double Size PSK Tin
Anonymous
Unregistered

To Tom and Chris<br><br>Thanks for the replies.<br><br>Ironbird

#6198 - 05/10/02 04:18 AM Re: Double Size PSK Tin
Neanderthal Offline
newbie member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Tom : IMHO those surplus butter tins suck. I was, however, able to fabricate a lid for a stainless steel cup/pot using the aluminum. _________________________________________________ Proverbs 21:19

PROVERBS 21:19

#6199 - 05/10/02 05:24 AM Re: Double Size PSK Tin
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Louis - Thanks - glad I didn't get around to ordering some yet. Scratch that idea...

#6200 - 05/10/02 02:14 PM round v rectangular
Anonymous
Unregistered

I carry a number of items wrapped around my rectangular PSK (regular altoids tin) that I am not sure I could either fit in or effectively wrap around a round tin. I have 6'squared HD tin foil folded around the outside that would not fit inside; ~10' paracord that would deffinately not fit within' several ranger-bands for extra water-proofing. The ranger-bands might easily be fit around a round PSK but not so cleanly since they are rectangular by nature. Winding cord on a round tin might be possible but would cause a lump where the cord crossed itself. Folding foil around a round tin would be a work of oragami but could be done. Also all my pockets are rectangular so a rectangular tin fits better and slides around less. <br><br>Of course with all of that wrapped around my tin I almost never open it. My PSK contains items that are mostly un-needed in daily use or are miniature redundancies of other items I carry. <br><br>My sparklite in my PSK is never needed unless I lose my minibic lighter which is in my pocket next to the psk. My wire saw is never needed unless I am actually building an expedient shelter. My mini compass will not be needed unless I am actually lost and stripped of the normal sized compass carried in my belly pack and the one built into my car. The Iodine tablets will only be needed if I have strayed from civilization and forgotten or been seperated from the filter and bottle of potable Aqua that resides in my pack. The PSK does contain a garbage bag to become the container for the items when the psk needs to be cracked so I don't lose any of the items.<br><br>I also do carry an altoids tin of urban necessities such as bandaids, antibiotic, tweezers, cpr shield, laytex gloves, magnifying glass, small blades and straight edge razors, folding scissors, moleskin. The only thing I keep wrapped around this kit is one ranger-band to keep it closed. This kit gets used regularly and I am constantly replacing the contents. I am not sure I actually am happy with the tin for this kit sinces it is not water-proof and the hard tin makes for a little more difficulty in packing and carrying. I may move to a waterproof bag of some sort if I can find one roughly the same size.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 181 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by chaosmagnet
Yesterday at 06:13 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.