Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#6129 - 05/08/02 06:19 AM Emergency TV/Radio/Light Combo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I saw a piece of equipment at Target, I think it was from Coleman, it was a TV radio and a light combo. Ran about $70. Anyone play with this piece of equipment? I am short space (share a studio apt. with another guy) so economizing on space would be nice, but if it sucks, I'll just get dedicated gear.<br><br>Saw the 4-D cell lanterns, $20 each...probably pick up one or two of them next time.

#6130 - 05/08/02 01:01 PM Re: Emergency TV/Radio/Light Combo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My experience with low end TV receivers is that they are not very good. Even with an external antenna. Also, I have a feelling that they would eat batteries very quickly but you would need to check the specs. <br><br> I am also not keen on having multiple devices in one unit. To me its like putting all your eggs in one basket but that's just my opinion. <br><br> I would prefer to puchase a good AM/FM radio for emergency purposes and skip the TV. Back on 9/11 we got most of our news here in southwest CT from the radio since a number of TV transmitters were on the twin towers. AM radio also has the advantage of giving you access to distant stations. In a widespread emergency this may be the only source of news.<br><br>Chris

#6131 - 05/08/02 01:03 PM Re: Emergency TV/Radio/Light Combo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

While I have two of the 4 D-cell table lanterns for use in the house around the kids, I also have a few kerosene lanterns. <br><br>I store a bulk pack of batteries from Sams Warehouse with the table lanterns. We have used them several times during minor power outages. I feel better with the kids using indoors. No open flame, no potential for fuel spill.<br><br>The kerosene lanterns are on hand for longer term power outages. Check out Dietz lanterns. They have models that will burn 27-40 hours on a single tank of fuel. $15 for the lantern, $3 for enough fuel to burn for weeks. More efficient and the fuel does not lose power over time stilling on the shelf like batteries. Add another buck or two for some spare wicks. Store a pack of matches or three with the lantern to ensure that you will be able to light it.

#6132 - 05/08/02 02:27 PM Re: Emergency TV/Radio/Light Combo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Coleman Units are not too bad. Let me qualify that and add for specific applications. We run them semi-permenantly mounted in our 4x4s using an external anntena. You can get them with optional AC/DC adaptors which allows you to use them 12volt vehicle or 120volt house systems without using batteries. The FM radio gives about 30 kilometers. AM is unlimited depending on conditions. TV is marginal, at best. Light is OK but as other posters mentioned, they suck juice like a dehydrated fish. They are not constructed to take much punishment.<br><br>Mariner

#6133 - 05/08/02 05:58 PM Re: Emergency TV/Radio/Light Combo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

<br>As others have mentioned, these low end B&W 5" TV's arent great. That said, I would recommend you just get one of the cheap imported models - they can be had for $20 fairly regularly at places like Kmart, Walmart, etc. They hold up just as well (ie not great).<br><br>I consider a better solution for the storage challenged would be to get a better quality radio that also receives the TV band. After all, watching a 5" B&W isnt much better than just listening. ;-)<br><br>

#6134 - 05/08/02 06:28 PM Re: Emergency TV/Radio/Light Combo?
zoltan Offline

Loc: Poland
That's not exactly what you're looking for, but have you heard about Icom IC-R3? It's a radio scanner with a TV screen. It doesn't have a light (well... the screen can be used this way...) but - in addition to "normal" radio, you get air/marine/ham/police/whatever channels (frequencies from 0.5 to 2.5 MHz). I thought about buying one, but it lacks 2 important features: lower frequencies (Polish long wave radio channel is at 225 kHz) and SSB modulation. And of course, it's more expensive than ordinary radio/TV combo.

#6135 - 05/08/02 07:57 PM Re: Emergency TV/Radio/Light Combo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have one that I have been using quite successfully with the added advantage of a solar panel that also recharges the AA bateries when not in use. It also has a hand crank for when you need light of sound with no way to use the solar panel or get new bateries.<br>The TV (sound only) is marginal at best. But AM / FM works great. It also does SW but I haven't tested it.<br>I find that if I leave it in the window it can play indefinately.<br><br>http://www.sun-mate.com/<br>Click "Radios"

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 226 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.