Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#6113 - 05/06/02 04:05 PM Jungle Wildlife Threats
Anonymous
Unregistered

Its not the bigger creatures that you'd have to be wary of - its the smaller and usually unseen ones.<br>Ground hornets - usually in dead tree stumps or just under dead baboo clumps. Each can inflict repetitive stings betwwen 10 to 15 times and I have personally seen a wild boar attacked and chased TOWARDS the nesting area. I can never forget the screaming of the poor animal to this day! As in the same case of when attacked by wasps, bees & hornets, always run TOWARDS heavily wooded bushes and remain as low as possible - unless youre near a body of water deep enough to hide you!<br>Scorpion - Either in Shiny black or dark green, found under dead leaves and rotten log. Its not the pincers you need to worry of..its the poison tipped tail. But if you get stung by one, its always handy to have garlic with you...crush and paste it against the sting mark.<br>Centipede - Comes either in Amber red or dark blue colour, found under dead and damp leaves, rotten logand palm trees. The poisonous fangs work immediately soonest the first few legs grips the victim. It can also crawl into your pants, shirts, sovks or shoes if its left on the ground. Like the scorpion, usually seeks out dry area when it rains! Garlic or tamarind seed works magically when you get bitten by the centipede which can grow as long as 8 inches!!!<br>Caterpillars - Especially the bright coloured ones with spiky hairs. ALWAYS swipe it TOWARDS the direction its moving instead of against it. Salt & garlic work wonders!<br>Spiders - Have the same living conditions like the scorpion and centipede but also likes to live in dried tree stump. The Malaysian hairy palm sized spider isnt poisonous with the bite similar to the sting of a bee!<br>Snakes - The 4 venomous ones in Malaysia is the King Cobra, Black Cobra, White Banded Krait & Vipers. KCobra makes the sound like a chicken and ALWAYS makes 3 lunges at you after its spread its hood, always pretty close to heavily wooded bamboo clumps, secondary forests and dry wooded primary rainforests. BCobra loves places where there are lots of deadwood. WBKrait is found usually around small flowing rivers with muddy river banks and is attracted to artificial light like flashlights. Vipers have arrow head like shape of its head and are active in the nite.<br>My advice is ALWAYS have a walking stick with you which can act as an extension of your arm, check the other side of any log that youre going to step over or poke any low level/overhanging branches if you have to walk through. PLEASE, do NOT ever injure or kill these creatures if you have to face one... if you can, either get away or remove the threat with your walking stick.<br>Tigers? The wild ones are always SAFER than the ones thatre in the zoos or circus becausethe wild ones prefer to avoid us unles theyre injured, old or protecting the cubs. In the past, I died " a thousand times " when faced with wild tigers, black panthers and cloudde leopards... and experience taught me that they do not like the sound of metals banging to each other when I used my machete to hit my mess tin!!! They have sensitive hearing like your domestic cat and when you hit metal, their eyes will squirm, the ears bent towards their heads and they will quickly retreat from you!!!<br>I'll stop here....I might be boring you guys to death!!!

#6114 - 05/06/02 04:23 PM Re: Jungle Wildlife Threats
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Bandit, the snakes are out here with spring. I was in the ranch outhouse when a huge kingsnake uncoiled from behind the toilet and exited between my boots. We have mountain lions, which have been the double victims of both extremes; unethical hunting methods and now excess protection with starving cats and dead hikers. Knowledge is always the answer! Your descriptions are making me homesick for a place I've never been to! please save some of your information for the day we can visit ;O)

#6115 - 05/06/02 10:10 PM Re: Jungle Wildlife Threats
Anonymous
Unregistered

<br>I'll probably never be in a jungle, but please keep posting, very cool stuff!!<br><br>

#6116 - 05/07/02 12:09 PM Re: Jungle Wildlife Threats
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

yeah baditleader you rock ! keep going dude !

#6117 - 05/07/02 01:54 PM Re: Jungle Wildlife Threats
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with Chris!<br>I'm going really homesick if you keep telling us your jungle's descriptions...<br> but don't stop doing it! smile It's better read them than nothing :))<br><br>thanks,<br>Mac

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.