Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#6072 - 05/04/02 12:45 AM Storage solutions
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK as we all know, our 30 day supply of goodies can start to take up space really fast. I have 14-gallon Rubbermaid containers, but the way they are shaped (trapezoidal) only allows so much stuff to be put in there neatly. I am going to hunt for more bigger and better bins to use. My goal is to have about 16 of them...a dozen under my bed, to support the mattress. Right now, my 6 Rubbermaid bins ARE my bed! And 4 for storing stuff around the house.<br><br>Criteria that must be met:<br>1) More or less squarish shape, for more efficient use of space.<br>2) Must be sturdy enough to stack ANOTHER bin on top of, must be sturdy.<br><br>Luxuries: Waterproof and airtight a plus. Hinged cover a plus, so is being able to lock it would be a bonus.<br><br>How do YOU store your junk?

#6073 - 05/04/02 02:49 AM Re: Storage solutions
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Is making your own an option? That's what I've done for the most part. We have a few of those rubbermaid containers and are not very fond of them once they leave the storage room - they were cheap and we needed them in a hurry for a specific reason. Worked fine, but they're mostly unused and underfoot since then.

#6074 - 05/04/02 05:03 PM Re: Storage solutions
Anonymous
Unregistered

We use The Mechanics Pullman. Basically it consists of a bottom unit which measures approx. 20"high x 24"wide x 8"deep. The bottom unit is for bulky items and has 2 wheels. The top unit measures approx. 16"high x 24"wide x 8"deep. It has two lift out trays. A clear hinged top with many compartments and a hidden swivel out drawer which also has many compartments.<br><br>The top attaches to the bottom unit using clips on each side. The unit also has a folding handle that allows the unit to be used like those pullman suitcases that are dominating our airports.<br><br>I have modified ours slightly to enable them to be attached to the Canadian and A.L.I.C.E. pack frames with the shelf attachment.<br><br>We keep 4 of those units in our house. They fit perfectly in the corner of our closets. You know, that forgotten corner where all the old clothes go.<br><br>Three of our units are special purpose but one is multi purpose and to give you an idea of storage capacity we keep 1 single burner propane stove, one single mantle propane lantern, two small, camping propane cylinders, 24 inch prybar, folding saw, 5&10 inch visegrips, 4 knives and 4 multi tools, candles, lighters, matches, asst. flashlights, heavy duty med kit, sewing and fishing kits, AR-7 and some, other asst. hardware in one unit. <br><br>The beauty of the unit is that it can be rolled along even ground by a fairly small child. It can be carried attached to the packs by in shape adults. And if you are in a real hurry you can lighten the load by using only the top or the bottom of the unit. They are not weather proof but their design means that they can be covered by a large garbage bag or weatherproof cover.<br><br>Available from Walmart in black. Available from Canadian Tire in yellow or red. Cost between 30 and 60 dollars.

#6075 - 05/06/02 02:23 PM Re: Storage solutions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do not ignore the possibility of Ammo Cans. They might be a bit smaller or harder to find the larger ones but they are indestructable, air-tight and water-tight and cheap. If the house colapses on them and you can dig them out your stuff will be intact, dry and un-damaged.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 286 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.