The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#6044 - 05/10/02 04:29 AM Re: Dedicated survival knives
Neanderthal Offline
newbie member

Loc: Pennsylvania
A.G.Russell sells a Camillius Cuda Arclite neck knife in D 2 steel for $50 US. It uses a "breakaway" chain instead of paracord. The skeleton handle can be wrapped with paracord. This should address CK's most appropriate concerns. _________________________________________________ Proverbs 21:19

PROVERBS 21:19

#6045 - 05/10/02 05:47 AM Re: neck knives
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
I am a huge fan of CRKT fixed blades. The stiff kiss is the best ultralight backpack knife I know of. It's silly light but more robust than a light weight folder and has a long enough blade for cutting bread, fruit, and spreading things. The CRKT F4 kneck knife is my new favorite knife. I bought them from my local store for 14.99 each. I made a custom Kydex sheath for one which has a removeable ferrocerium flint( from Hoods Woods). I think this would be a very ideal small kit knife. It's size is slightly larger than the Gerber LST yet much stronger.

#6046 - 05/10/02 04:08 PM Re: Dedicated survival knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dumb question time<br>What difference would a left handed sheath make. I've just bought one of these knives and just assumed that it was a generic sheath. I know nothing about knives BTW<br><br>Of course since I'm in the UK I'm not going to be carrying the thing in public on my belt. That would be a quick way to get arrested ( and very sensible too...) So the knive and sheath would live in my rucsac since I've only really got it to play with, i.e. learning to make shelters etc in the large commercial forestry around here. We don't really have wilderness like North America and wher it is reasonably wild is usually treeless.<br><br>Justin

Edited by JustinTime (05/10/02 04:54 PM)

#6047 - 05/11/02 01:00 AM Re: Dedicated survival knives
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Justin, Just slip the sheath onto your belt. Most people carry belt knives just behind the point of the hip. If you are right handed you will see the potential awkwardness. But as you intend to keep it in the rucksack there is no problem. I would suggest punching two holes for a retaining length of stout cord or leather. Do this just above the crossguard. The knot will snug nicely into the bevel and help secure the knife. Take your time and get a good edge. The factory certainly didn't! Let us know how it performs for you.

#6048 - 05/11/02 02:34 PM Re: neck knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the advice. I checked out CRKT's website. I found the one I was looking for. It was the Stiff K.I.S.S. and I also found a few others that I now want as well. Now I only have to decide which one to get. The ones that look good to me are the Carson F4 and the Polkowski/Kasper Companion. The Russ Kommer Bear Claw, in the serrated-tear drop point appealed to me as well, but will take a place towards the bottom of my 'wants' list.<br><br>LOL at the comment on Louis Riel.<br><br>Ironbird<br>

#6049 - 05/11/02 06:24 PM Re: Tinder
Neanderthal Offline
newbie member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Tried cotton with orthodontic wax ($1.56 at Giant supermarket for box of 5 sticks ~ 2" long). One-third of a stick burned for about 4 minutes. Just flatten it very thin and roll it into the cotton. Fluff the cotton and spark. This wax softens at body temperature. It is much less messy than vaseline and does not have to be prepared in advance as does candle wax/cotton. Probably of little value to CK and Tom Ayers on their artic adventures, but could be useful to other mortals as myself. _________________________________________________ Proverbs 21:19

PROVERBS 21:19

#6050 - 05/11/02 08:15 PM Re: neck knives
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
CRKT has become my favorite company for budget knives. In addition to their small fixed blades, they make some outstanding folders as well. The M16 line and M18 line are some of the best reasonable priced knives around. I have a zytel M16 that I paid $29 for new. I cannot think of another $30 knife that can top this one. The steel is Aus 6A which is not my favorite, but is far superior to generic steels. The higher end M16 knives are made with Aus8 which is considered by many to be the poor man's ATS34. A really good "semi-stainless" steel.

#6051 - 05/27/02 06:58 PM Re: Dedicated survival knives
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have one of those monsters too, and love it for certain things. Best features it has is the fact that you can't break it, and it is so ugly you can't hurt its appearance. I would be interested in any modifications you have for it...<br><br>OBG

#6052 - 05/27/02 09:27 PM Re: Dedicated survival knives
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

So far I have merely reground the blade in a Scandinavian edge up to the main bevel. I added an Erikkson 8" full tang blade blank ( 3 1/2" blade) as a permanent companion for fine work. I am working up a ambidextrous sheath to secure both along with a metal match and daimond sharpening card. I considered several "whistles and bells" with the actual knife, but it's strength is ,well, it's simple strength-K.I.S.S. How was Alaska?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 552 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.