The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6024 - 05/04/02 08:49 PM Re: Dedicated survival knives
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
...I was just in here to shutdown the computer before hitting the road...<br><br>Sounds like you and I agree on the points you made. I also like & agree with the additional comment you made about symmetrical grips...<br><br>Hmmm - no offense taken and none intended - but your slip may be showing just a bit - how about we agree on not liking symmetrical grips on asymmetrical blades? Except for a "classic" Ka-Bar, and excluding some special purpose knives of the stabbing/thrusting ilk, I have not handled very many "military knives" that are indeterminate to the feel for orientation. Most, regardless of age, have an asymmetrical grip and/or asymmetrical guard/pommel configurations. <br><br>I don't collect the durn things, but there are a variety of "specimens" in the house that range in age from ~125 years old to current issue and from several countries - none have "orientation indifferent" grips. Actually, all but one of the ones I have are asymmetrical, and that one is no-mistaking orientation because of guard and balance. In my *limited* experience, most of those indifferent knives seem to be civilian-market knives aimed at Rambo wannabees to some degree. YMMV, of course, and I have not paid a lot of attention to that as those knives are generally not of "general" interest to me.<br><br>I *really* have to hit the road now...<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom<br><br>

#6025 - 05/05/02 01:43 AM Re: Dedicated survival knives
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I was billeted to Kodiak Airstation right out of Bootcamp in 1973 into early 1975. I think a big knife test willl need group participation. The sheer number out there is overwhelming. We had such good fun and insights from the GREAT CONDOM TEST. As for symmetrical handles? I was just up feeding the horses. My utility Mora slipped into the baling twine. Instead of the quick "twang" of parted string the lousy bale lifted up and fell on me. I had the knife upside down ( actually, right side up out of habit, but upside down for my reverse stroke):O( I pulled out my gift spyderco from Ron and taught that alfalfa who was boss!

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (05/05/02 05:09 AM)

#6026 - 05/05/02 03:23 AM Re: Dedicated survival knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

Of course, no offense either way… at least, I don’t think my ego is tied up with my knives… but I also don’t think my Freudian slip was showing. I think I probably just expressed myself badly, probably from trying too hard keep it neutral. This subject is a minefield of egoes and flamebait.<br><br>There’s some disconnect here somewhere though… I guess I don’t know what military knives you’re referring to that orient themselves well in the hand. What I had in mind when I wrote that phrase was of course the Ka-Bar, but also the variations of the USAF “pilot’s survival” knife, all US bayonets since WWII, and the EOD knives… in fact, I can’t think of a US issue knife offhand that doesn’t have a symmetrical handle. Certainly, I concede that many knives from other countries’ armies are better in this regard, as are older US military knives… but then, I tend to think that many older designs are more functional than newer ones, when dealing with such a basic implement. <br><br>In any case, I don’t have anything in particular against military knives. I’m one of those that happen to think that usefulness as a weapon is a good thing in a survival tool- always keeping in mind that any bulky, heavy item that doesn’t actually get carried is of no use for any purpose. I respect the (often-expressed) opinions of those that think that anything resembling a weapon has nothing at all to do with survival, but since many, many times more humans are killed by other humans than by the elements or any non-human animal on the planet, I’ll stick with my opinion for the time being.<br><br>Sounds like Chris is also becoming a convert to the asymmetrical handle concept.. :-)<br>

#6027 - 05/05/02 04:05 AM Re: Dedicated survival knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

That illustrates a good point. While I think it's desirable for a handle shape to convey how the blade is oriented by feel (preferably without thought), it's also desirable that the shape of the handle not make the knife awkward to use with the edge either up or down. Sometimes, in illustration of the need for an edge-up hold, I hear an example cited that has something to do with sentry removal and throats... ahem... but bales of hay will do. :-)<br><br>The Mora illustrates another point- I understand that the Nordic folks make it a point of pride to be able to safely handle a knife who's design makes no attempt at all to keep the hand from slipping forward onto the blade, but, personally, I'd rather have the design help out in that regard. A younger version of me sliced open a hand pretty badly that way on a Japanese aikuchi with no guard.. I tried to puncture something with the point, encountered more resistance than I expected, was holding it too lightly, my hand slipped forward.. it was all too fast to react to... and after dealing with lots of impressively large blood stains the lesson stuck... such knives make me nervous.<br>

#6028 - 05/05/02 05:43 AM Re: Dedicated survival knives
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My small knife collection is turning me into the movie character Edward Scissorhands! Actually, the scandinavians are producing many knives with guards, or ergonomic handles with at least a guardlike handle. My friend @www.Ragweedforge has both displayed online. In actual practice the very traditional flaired pommel puukkos are strictly draw knives, or you push against that flaired pommel with the palm of your hand. With hands clumsy in mittens or cold this sytem works well. My current philosphy is based on a good all around knife that wont break, soldiers through most tasks adequately without biting the hand that oils it, and my collection of specialized knives for measured work done at leisure. I figure ill egress the crashed sailplane with my MOD4, Kill the charging elephant seal with the falkniven, build an igloo with the finnish lueko and then skin and butcher the seal with my inuit ulu. When my sleeping bag zipper freezes ill cut my way out with the spyderco, then repair it with the SAK after refreshing myself with a can of fruit juice opened with my P38.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (05/05/02 06:20 AM)

#6029 - 05/06/02 01:05 AM Re: Dedicated survival knives
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Whatever - I can tell which way is "up" on ALL the military fixed blade knives I have around here with my eyes closed. That was my point. Sometimes you and I can coax a spark off each other's posts <shrug> no big deal. Let's move on to more productive discussion - like Chris getting started on a "big knife" review <grin>.

#6030 - 05/06/02 01:18 PM Re: Dedicated survival knives
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
>>>Gotta run up to near Willie’s neck of the woods for the weekend, so adios for now – <<<<br><br>Yikes! I wish I had read this earlier.. I would have gone on full alert! <br><br>Were you camping or running errands?

#6031 - 05/06/02 02:02 PM Re: Dedicated survival knives
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Extended family stuff - didn't have time or I would have given you a shout - I'll try to meet the next time I'm up your way.

#6032 - 05/06/02 03:17 PM Re: Dedicated survival knives
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Just as well, I was busy doing the "soccer shuttle" most of the day.

#6033 - 05/07/02 08:44 PM Re: Dedicated survival knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

Somebody needs to write a standard for testing and then everybody on the forum test their own knife against the standard. When done, email the results to Chris and let him post them. Sorry Chris, your the most likely candidate for the job.<br><br>Regards<br>Bruce G.<br>Texas

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.