Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#59484 - 01/31/06 12:28 AM A Non-Mylar Emergency Blanket
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Just returned from Outdoor Retailer Winter Market and found a few items of interest that will be included in our annual SHOT Show Report mid-February. But one was so cool, I thought I'd share it here now. By now, everyone here knows how much I dislike the traditional Mylar emergency blanket. "Hate" would not be too strong a description. They have all sorts of problems, the most serious being that they are extremely fragile. They puncture easily and once punctured rip to shreds. In addition they are a PITA to unfold and noisy as all get out. A while ago Adventure Medical Kits changed the base material of their oversized (96 x 60 inches) "1 or 2 person Survival Emergency Blanket" that is also known as the "Heatsheet" (though for reasons nobody can figure out, the current packaging left that off) . This was formerly made of Mylar, like all such blankets, and then it was printed with orange on one side with some survival instructions printed in black on the orange background. Printing on that material was difficult and they looked for a better material to work with and ended up with some "special low-density polyethylene" film. As it turns out, this makes a emergency blanket which solves most of the drawbacks of the typical Mylar blanket. The poly is much tougher and more resistant to puncture and once punctures does not shred. It unfolds easily and can even be refolded with relatively minor agro. It is also pretty quiet, Not quite as quiet as cloth, both many times quieter than the Mylar. The only down side is that is is 0.2 oz. heavier than the conventional Mylar blanket of the same size, not much of a penalty. It was always the best of a poor choice because of the larger size and orange side for signaling, now it's actually a pretty decent choice and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants this type of product. The survival instructions still leave a bit to be desired of, but nobody here's going to be relying upon them anyway. Below is a photo of my finger stretching the material:

Edited by Doug_Ritter (02/03/06 08:54 PM)
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#59485 - 01/31/06 02:59 AM Re: A Non-Mylar Emergency Blanket
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Cool. What's the estimated cost and where can I get one?

-Mark
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#59486 - 01/31/06 03:10 AM Re: A Non-Mylar Emergency Blanket
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
Looks like it's about $5 for the 2 person "heatsheet" and this search should lead to many retailers:

Google Search for AMK Emergency Blanket

#59487 - 01/31/06 03:13 AM Re: A Non-Mylar Emergency Blanket
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
It appears that they're gearing up to get it rolling on Adventure Medical Kits Site. You can find the blankets by going to the Survival Section. However, the links to the blankets currently aren't working.

When they do get them up, all you have to do is click into the description, and then you'll be able either add your zipcode to find a store near you, or click on a store to buy online.

Errrr... Or you could do as massacre suggested and find it now. LOL

Edited by Nicodemus (01/31/06 03:14 AM)

#59488 - 01/31/06 03:57 AM Re: A Non-Mylar Emergency Blanket
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I wonder how they will do in heat, like a car trunk or in the desert? Colored plastic often sticks to itself in hot weather, and doesn't peel apart very well.

I guess we need to do some field research!

Sue

#59489 - 01/31/06 04:53 AM Re: A Non-Mylar Emergency Blanket
7k7k99 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Hey Doug

what about this one that Benjammin posted on this forum a while back?

http://www.land-shark.com/

#59490 - 01/31/06 05:01 AM Re: A Non-Mylar Emergency Blanket
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Good question.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#59491 - 01/31/06 05:05 AM Re: A Non-Mylar Emergency Blanket
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Totally different product. This is laminated to a heavy plastic backing with glass fiber reinforcement. Similar material is used in some other blankets. These products are considerably bulkier and heavier than the emergency blankets.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#59492 - 01/31/06 02:30 PM Re: A Non-Mylar Emergency Blanket
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I agree. The land shark is a robust emergency survival bag; heavier, stiffer, and more durable than anything else I've found in this category. If you can discount the weight, size and price limitations, the land shark should be the best in show. One of us will review it soon I am sure. Right now I am too busy relocating to give it a go, but come February, I plan on placing an order with land shark.

However, this new heatsheet looks full of promise. It may not be reflective like the bivy bag or the mylar, but if it will hold up better, it should be quite suitable as a protection against the wind and rain. Poly U should hold up against heat better than Poly E or Poly V. I reckon I will have to get me one or two of these now as well. So much for my garbage bag days. Oh, the burden of making a better living....

#59493 - 01/31/06 02:32 PM Re: A Non-Mylar Emergency Blanket
norad45 Offline
Veteran

This does look to be a significant improvement. Obviously the weight difference is insignificant. What about bulk? Does it pack down as small as the standard blanket? If so I'll be in for a couple.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 620 Guests and 153 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.