Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#5911 - 04/29/02 11:55 AM Which GPS?
Anonymous
Unregistered

We're looking for a reliable, easy to use, accurate, water resistant & shock resistant GPS to be used in the tracking down, shooting & relocation of endangered wild elephants to bigger permanent jungle reserves in Malaysia.<br>It goes the same too for walkie talkies that are reliable, water & shock resistant and have a good are coverage especially in heavily wooded areas.<br>Any suggestions, folks?

#5912 - 04/29/02 12:12 PM Re: Which GPS?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi:<br><br>Here is a good web site to discuss GPS units: http://www.geocaching.com/<br><br>If you click on the "discuss geocaching" link from the main page you will find a section on GPS hardware. The folks there have a lot of combined experiance with many brands and models. <br><br>My personal favorites are those made by Garmin that are built for marine use. I've used my GPS II (no longer made) in the pouring rain with no ill affect on the unit.<br><br>One more thing, if you are going to use GPS in a jungle you will definitely need an active antenna to boost reception.<br><br><br>Chris

#5913 - 04/29/02 01:40 PM Re: Which GPS?
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

you can always use those waterproof bag like thingy's to protect it agians water if you dont get/have a waterproof one...

#5914 - 04/29/02 02:31 PM Re: Which GPS?
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
The good news is that you won't have to spend a whole lot of money. I don't think mega-memory and huge databases of US maps will do you much good.<br>I too recommend the Garmin units for size, reliability and ease of use. I would personally recommend the Garmin 12xl or a similar unit. My Etrex Vista has gone back for repairs twice, but it was an early unit and I have not had problems in over a year. If I were you, I would get a less featured Garmin 12 channel unit and use the savings to buy one or two redundant units. Spend the rest on lots of batteries. On that note, I have had really good luck with the new 1600 to 1700 mAh NiMH AA batteries with the Brunton Solar Charger. It takes along time to charge those suckers, but it works famously.

#5915 - 04/29/02 04:06 PM Re: Which GPS?
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
You have two different paths that you can take. One is just to get an inexpensive non-mapping unit. Just make sure that it is waterproof. A hook-up for an enternal antenna would be a plus. You should be able to find a couple of models for well under $200 at www.garmin.com.<br><br>If you do decide that you NEED mapping, the best unit would be here:<br>http://www.navitrak.com/handheld.html<br>This unit is VERY expensive, but will allow you to use a scanned paper map. This is, AFAIK, the only unit that will let you do this.<br>

#5916 - 04/29/02 04:37 PM Re: Which GPS?
Anonymous
Unregistered

<br>I'll second the Garmin 12XL recommendation. It does have a couple extra features that make it a better unit than the plain 12 version. The 12XL has a speaker, and also an internal voltage regulator which make accessories cheaper.<br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 282 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.