Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#5839 - 04/27/02 01:01 AM Re: New High-Tech Toy
Anonymous
Unregistered

This one by Casio, http://www.casio.com/watches/product.cfm?section=14&market=0&product=3673 is 1/3 the price but no touchscreen. The Pathfinder series has been around for ages and I've had one through quite a few battery replacements. The thermometer lets you set an offset to compensate for your body temp, but I've always found that it works best if you wear is on the outside of a long sleeve shirt and avoid covering it with a jacket sleeve if possible. Honestly, the one feature that I really like is the barometer. It will log the barometric pressure once an hour for the last 48 hours and display it as a bar graph. Very usefulfor predicting storms and the such while out in the field. The same bar graph can be inverted to show rate of ascent if your climbing. The only problem is that if you are constantly changing your altitude, the barometer's reading is false due to the pressure change. Anyway, I can not complain about it after all these years. It's been dropped, stepped on, ran over, mutilated, frozen, cooked, and otherwise tortured and I have only ever replaced the band and the batteries.

#5840 - 04/27/02 01:25 AM Re: New High-Tech Toy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Buckling the watch onto a beltloop or pack is good enough to get accurate temps when on the move. I agree with the high/low temp capture, that would be handy. I really like the barometric trend capture, and have found it useful.

#5841 - 04/27/02 07:50 AM Re: New High-Tech Toy
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

isnt buying one of those keychain thingy's with those options mounted on your belt beter than a watch with you have to take of ? besides keycains are cheaper...

#5842 - 04/27/02 01:15 PM Re: New High-Tech Toy
Anonymous
Unregistered

I finally saw this watch, for some reason the link wasn't working the first time I tried.<br><br>It is a good-looking analog watch. Unfortunately, I REALLY don't like analog watches. I'll stick with my Suunto.<br><br>Don't get me wrong, I own three analog watches, and I wear them whenever I wear a sports jacket or tie, in other words, wherever a “positive class indicator” is called for.. but, in that context, they're jewelry, like late-18th century smallswords, intended to make a statement, not to be useful. That’s something else altogether.<br><br>Esthetically, though, I really don’t like the fact that we’re still combining all of this very high-tech electronics with an interface dreamed up by 16th-century clockmakers to make their job easier. In fact, I find it condescending, and a little insulting, that engineers still feel compelled to mask all these solid-state wonders behind an interface of actual metal arms being physically, mechanically, pushed across a dial face, no matter what the costs in design and energy to the rest of the device. It’s like a visible admission that we can’t mentally cope with anything newer, that we can’t learn to do without the "learning to tell time" system we were taught as little children along with learning to tie our shoes.<br><br>But, that’s just me. I also sort of resent the ridiculous system of dividing a reasonable, nature-provided time interval into 24 units, and each of those into 60, and each of those into 60, then each of those into tenths, hundredths or thousanths. There’s nothing the least bit natural or inevitable about this system, and the math it engenders is absolutely absurd, sometimes to the point of being dangerous.. and results in such complete nonsense as having a microwave run for LONGER when you key in “90” than it does when you key in “120”.<br><br>Unfortunately, we’re probably stuck with it. Swatch Internet Time doesn’t seem to be catching on quickly, so I guess we may have to wait for a more flexible-minded generation to come along and remove this mess.

#5843 - 04/27/02 05:57 PM Re: New High-Tech Toy
Anonymous
Unregistered

<br>If all you wanted to do was tell the temperature cheaply, then sure, of course that would be fine. A small sundial could also be used for time, and I supposed you could find a cheap hygrometer(?) for barometric pressure. A golf pencil, and a piece of paper and you could chart it all over time too, and heck, maybe even figure out your altitude. A magetized needle in your pocket could be used as a compass. A small photon light and you can even view it at night, except for the sundial of course.<br><br>For everything there's always a cheaper, or more accurate, or more reliable, or smaller, etc, solution. That's why there are a million products for sale. Different strokes for different folks.<br>

#5844 - 04/29/02 04:50 PM Re: New High-Tech Toy
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Hmm... As I recall from a science class a loooong time ago, one can make a barometer. I'll have to try some specific instrictions, but I suspect that you could fabricate one from a water container, perhaps a found pop can, and the seep tubing in your PSK.<br><br>Not an essential tool, but could be useful of you're stuck in a long-term survivial situation and you want to track changes in weather.

#5845 - 04/29/02 04:54 PM Re: New High-Tech Toy
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I specifically chose an analog watch for camping for two reasons. One, the dials can be used in determining compass direction. You can do the same by "Imagining" the arms, but having the arms there makes it easier. Two, liquid crystals and electronics can fail easier than mechanical gears. Liquid crystals are aso affected by cold tempuratures and can actually disappear if it's cold enough.<br><br>

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 551 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by jds
47 minutes 17 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.