Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#5737 - 04/23/02 10:56 PM How long can I stay?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello all,<br><br>I recently returned from a camping trip in northern New York. I pride myself on being able to survive the wilderness on a minimum amount of supplies and I think I've done well this time. Two people, 2 packs, 2 weeks, no problems.<br>When I plan a trip, I pack the supplies I know I'll need for the amount of time that I'll be gone. Plus, I always pack the emergency first aid kit, hunting/fishing supplies, emergency blankets, signal mirror, rope, and other 'just in case' items, along with the tent, cooking utensils, ect...<br>My question is this. If something were to happen that would prevent me from obtaining more supplies (use your imagination), what would you suggest I carry with me that would allow me to prolong my stay indefinately? <br>Reading the other posts here I think I carry all of the standard PSK equipment already. I do carry a few medical items that probably arent in most kits (morphine for example), and I always carry flour, salt, and other 'food basics' although the amount that I carry is small. <br><br><br>-Hawk

#5738 - 04/24/02 01:51 AM Re: How long can I stay?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A long term scenario indicates you have established a base camp with no immediate life threatening injuries. I would suggest increased food and toiletries. Hunting and fishing are equal parts skill and luck ( just ask a substistance hunter.) Listed in the links is a very good nutritional website for hikers by a nutritionist. Toiletries help maintain hygiene, which equals health and improved morale.

#5739 - 04/24/02 03:02 AM Re: How long can I stay?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You're absolutely right, I'm thinking of the situation where I have already set up a basecamp (perhaps in not so freindly territory) and there are no immediate medical emergencies to deal with.<br>What I'm thinking about is things like the black garbage bag I carry in my pack right now. Usefull for water storage, solar shower, rain shelter, solar water still, ect...<br>I suppose the most important thing would be an in-depth knowledge of the area that I would be in (local edible plants for example). I just always think that there is something else I should have with me...something obvious that I'm overlooking. I suppose the more equipment I have with me the better equipped I am to deal with whatever situation arises. But at some point, I can only effectively carry so much gear on my back. Right now I'm at about 35 pounds in my pack not including water. Much more weight than that, and mobility is reduced to the point of not being able to hike and/or climb effectively.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 476 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.