Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#57146 - 01/06/06 07:14 PM Re: Timberline Survival Hatchet
tfisher Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
Just an idea.......use a hand forged tomahawk with or without handle(you could cut a handle in the wilderness)

http://www.fortturner.com/store/index.htm

#57147 - 01/06/06 11:34 PM Re: Timberline Survival Hatchet
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Beaumont, TX USA
Look at the size of it in my hand in the link for the picture that did not come out...

#57148 - 01/07/06 12:09 AM Re: Timberline Survival Hatchet
Farmer Offline

Loc: Mid-Atlantic
Here's what I use. Good for chopping, good for hammering, easy to carry on belt.

Estwing Tools

Oh - and I forgot to mention - that flat on the back of the head is a good striking spot when you're using the hatchet as a froe (splitting wood).

Edited by Farmer (01/07/06 12:21 AM)

#57149 - 01/19/06 12:56 PM Re: Timberline Survival Hatchet, Not the best IMO
Anonymous
Unregistered

I thought I might have some useful information on this topic. For ten years I carried a hatchet while surveying in Northern Idaho and the mountains of western Montana. We were surveying through forest so the hatchet in use much of the time, for blazing trees, pounding in hubs and clearing limbs from the line of sight. At all times I kept it sharp enough to shave.
IMO, what you want in a hatchet, is a buffer between your hand and the head of the hatchet. Historically, if you look at other hand tools where a tool head is connected to a hand/arm via a handle, typically it is wood (in the case of shipwrights caulking mallets, even more buffer was added...slots in the mallet head). If you are going to set up a camp, make a shelter, soft bed, and gather firewood, the hatchet is going to be in use for quite a while.
I would hate to use the Timberline for any amount of time.... it wouldn't be long before the hand/arm/wrist would cramp-up from the shock transfer up the solid steel handle (however, if one needed a lever/pry bar, the Timberline would be a better choice as a combination tool). I tried an Estwing hatchet but it's balance was off.
My preference back then was a Plumb hatchet with a wooden handle. That was 30 years ago and it's still a functional hatchet. Now, my preference for a BOB is something and lighter and totally maintenance free. I found a very light shock handled hatchet made by Fiskar (Good steel). So far it looks and feels very good, it even has a hollow handle where one could stuff other useful items. I'll put it to the test in the spring when I'm trimming trees. My old Plumb hatchet is in my vehicle survival kit. You can find these hatchets for as little as $20 on ebay.

#57150 - 01/19/06 01:20 PM Re: Fiskars Hatchet on Ebay
Anonymous
Unregistered

#57151 - 01/19/06 03:08 PM Re: Timberline Survival Hatchet
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I've a couple similar to this timberline, and about all I use them for is bark shaving poles or skinning big game. The head is relatively thin and the edge is at a pretty shallow angle. In practice, they work like an Ulu with a handle. It'd be good for more intricate carving type work, but perhaps not practical at all for general timber service. You could make some dandy kindling with it, though. It would make a real nice froe on smaller pieces, but I wouldn't try driving it through anything more than 4" in diameter or you'll like peen the back of the head or the handle excessively.

As a skinning tool, I've found absolutely nothing that works better.

#57152 - 01/20/06 09:42 PM Re: Timberline Survival Hatchet
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Thanks for all your posts. From what I've read here, I think I'm going to go with a Gerber/Fiskars for the fopllowing reasons:

Axe head, to use for hammer or maul
Hollow handle for storage and energy transfer
Better shaped blade

Now all I have to do is decide which model. The weight/length descriptions don't make a lot of comparative sense. I need to find a store and see them in person.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 514 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
40 minutes 28 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.