Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#56484 - 12/21/05 05:47 AM Re: Want a disaster evac training? Come to NYC!
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Well scooters can be used since they can go in between cars and cut traffic but in 18 degree weather it would be hard... Same goes for bikes...

#56485 - 12/21/05 02:15 PM Re: Want a disaster evac training? Come to NYC!
norad45 Offline
Veteran

"And BTW, I see more titles about PETS than about disabled or elderly parents. Will you abandon them ?? "

Mine are included in my plans. Maybe nobody mentions parents, spouses, children, etc. because it's considered a given that they will be cared for. Pets on the other hand might be considered more expendable, at least for some. I agree with you that the more options you have, the better.

Regards, Vince

#56486 - 12/21/05 05:18 PM Re: Want a disaster evac training? Come to NYC!
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Unions are an anacrhonism. A hundred years ago they were necessary for establishing worker rights. Now that the government has promulgated all sorts of labor regulations, the unions have no beneficial purpose. In this day and age in these United States, a worker will get paid what their labor is worth to the market. If it is not a living wage, then let the laws of supply and demand correct the situation. Artificially increasing the value of the work leads to inflation, outsourcing, and the general decline of the GNP. That is not an argument, that is a fact.

I find it interesting that, in fomenting an unlawful labor strike, the union is now incurring a $1 million per day fine against it's membership. How effective is that?

There's a simple conclusion that is much more effective. If drivers can't earn enough to pay the bills, then find other work. If the transit agencies can't find enough people to do the job, they will either have to raise the offered pay level to attract more workers, or cut back on services, which is also a natural economic reaction that will result in transit workers getting higher pay. That, or maybe they will find workers who can manage to do the work for less.

#56487 - 12/21/05 06:09 PM Re: Want a disaster evac training? Come to NYC!
MissouriExile Offline
dedicated member

Loc: SW Missouri / SE Wisconsin
I respectfully disagree with your position on unions. As a necessary evil they prevent (to some extent) extreme abuse of employees that was rampant in the U.S. until unions came along. All this (like so many other things) is recorded in history in great detail. Governments do not prevent this type of abuse. Witness pre-union America, China Today... Mexico... Does GNP or labor supply and demand protect them?
I don't belong to a union today but when young I witnessed both union and non union shop conditions. Even non-union shops in the U.S. benefit because the union is waiting outside the door.

"Those who would ignore history are doomed to repeat it".

"Blood Dries Quickly" Charles DeGaulle

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 554 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.