Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#56142 - 12/15/05 03:57 AM I'm looking for a good, all around survival knife
Anonymous
Unregistered

Right now, I have a kabar and it's ok. But I haven't ever really done anything too extreme with it and I'm not so sure it would hold up under survival conditions. I also know that one should get a good knife that lasts a long time and get used to it and it's capabilities.

Two knives that I'm looking at right now are the Cold Steel Recon Tanto and the Buck Special. I'm going to also get a kukri because Ithink those are versatile when it comes to machete type use and chopping.

I'm a little biased right now to Cold Steel partially because Don Paul wrote a great knife book called Everybody's Knife Bible. Cold Steel is metioned a lot in it. I plan on having at least 3 blades in the field which include a folder, a general purpose fixed bladed, and a kukri. My list right now is this:

Folder - ?
Fixed blade - Cold Steel Recon Tanto or Buck Special
Kukri - Cold Steel LTC Kukri

Any suggestions or reviews would be appreciated. I don't have a clue as to what type of folder I want. I have a Kershaw Blackout right now but I think its more of a defense blade.

#56143 - 12/15/05 04:43 AM Re: I'm looking for a good, all around survival knife
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

For a core survival knife I would consider the Cold Steel SRK. The tanto is a fine knife, but a drop point is a little more versatile. My first dedicated core blade was a SRK, and my only complaint is the epoxy paint coating. It's a inexpensive and durable coating to reduce production costs but is a pain for major reprofiling and sharpening. Now on to Kuhris, I would emphatically not buy a Cold Steel version. www.himalayan-imports.com makes the finest traditional kukhris bar none. Aside from outperforming everythng else, you are supporting the traditional people who invented kuhris: And cultural survival is just as worthy of our support and interest as wilderness survival. The major knife forum websites have entire subforums devoted to Kukhris www.knifeforums.com and www.bladeforums.com keep in mind a kuhkri is NOT a machete and not an AXE. It evolved to fullfill specific needs in it's culture and while it performs admirably there are limits, not excluding a thorough knowledge of this potentially dangerous tool's use. You might also enjoy my friend Ragnars site, www.ragweedforge.com Sometimes you just don't need a sword to spread peanut butter or make a fuzzstick for kindling. His selection of inexpensive nordic knives offer good value for little cost. Grab a few to hone your sharpening skills and toss in various kits as you assemble them.

#56144 - 12/15/05 08:01 AM Re: I'm looking for a good, all around survival knife
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
I'd never talk anyone out of buying a new knife... 'cus that would be extremely hipocritical!

However, I have two Kabar fixed blade knifes. I have a Fullsize USMC Style and a Short "Night Fighter" . Both these knifes have been put through their paces and have held up well. They hold an edge well and sharpen easily. You can pry, hammer, chop and, of course, cut. Best of all, they are cheap!

I personally prefer the smaller Night Fighter, the bigger one is a little heavy and exsessive typically.

Now, you can't go wrong with cold steel... I only have a machette from them but it is well built and very fuctional. My buddies who have them all love 'em... inexpensive and do their job well.

For folders I have found that CRKT make some good ones. I personally have 6 of the M16 Series and have had good luck with all of them
My favorite CRKT is their Craford/Kasper I have an older generation of this knife and it has been USED HARD over the last 10 years and held up well... again this is a knife that held its edge well and sharpened easily. The frame stayed tight and I never lost a screw on this knife (the only one I have ever had). I finally broke it's tip off trying to jimmy a door open and retired it to my turnout pockets after a visit to my shop.

My all time favorite single blade folder is my Gerber Fairborn-Applegate Folder . I originally bought it becuase it was on sale 75% off and looked cool. I like how it fits in my pocket well and how easy it is to open. It has a narrow but strong blade that, again, holds an edge well (but is more difficult to sharpen).

These are just my preferances and there are many more knifes that I ahve never tried out there that may better suit your needs.

#56145 - 12/15/05 09:40 AM Re: I'm looking for a good, all around survival knife
MGF Offline
dedicated member

Loc: Illinois
You might want to check out Doug's recommendations for fixed blades and folders. I don't think you'd go wrong with one from each list.

Personally, my heaviest duty fixed blade is a Swamp Rat Howling Rat, and I'd feel pretty happy having that with me anywhere. It's not huge and it's sort of ugly, but it's got an extremely useful shape, is very sharp and feels very good in the hand. From what I hear and read, the Swamp Rat knives are darn near indestructible. To tell the truth, though, I rarely carry a fixed blade.

I do carry a folder of around 3" every day, though, and three of my favorites are the KaBar Dozier folding hunter, Doug's RSK MK1 mini, and a Bradley Alias II.

#56146 - 12/15/05 01:10 PM Re: I'm looking for a good, all around survival knife
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I have a SOG Seal Pup. They also make a full sized Seal model and a Seal Pup Elite which is new this year.

#56147 - 12/15/05 01:16 PM Re: I'm looking for a good, all around survival knife
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Uhmm.... Going from a Kabar MkII to a tanto? I'd call that a bad idea. Tantos aren't all that suitable for field work, they just look cool. For a fighting knife, sure, why not, but not as a go everywhere, do everything knife. Heck, the chisel-ground tanto would have been looked at funny by true samurai- thiers were closer to a drop point usually, just a reeeeally skinny one.

You can break a Kabar, or a good clone, but you can break any knife. Trust me, I've owned Kabars since I was given on in junior high, and I've never felt the need for anything else. The first one is still my main knife in the woods, I've just collected the others along the way. When it is cold and wet and just plain miserable, you can't go wrong with a leather handle- they don't break, and they don't freeze to you, unlike the synthetics.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#56148 - 12/15/05 03:38 PM Re: I'm looking for a good, all around survival knife
norad45 Offline
Veteran

The Spyderco Native is available for around $40. The Ritter is excellent. But since you seem to have blades covered pretty well, I'd suggest a good multitool or an SAK, preferably the former. Pliars and screwdrivers are just too handy to be without.

Regards, Vince

#56149 - 12/15/05 03:40 PM Re: I'm looking for a good, all around survival knife
StuToffee Offline

Loc: Stockport, Cheshire, UK
Im a fan of the Kabar, with the exception of a Frost Mora, its the lightest fixed blade I carry. I often carry a BK7 instead of the Kabar & if I need a big blade I use either a Battle Rat or BK9. I bought a proper Nepalese Kukri, smashed the bone grips off and replaced with a more comfortable wooden handle. I also dismantled the wooden sheath, painted it, glued it back together & covered in DPM cordura with Nylon web straps & D-rings. The Kukri is good enough to handle virtually anything, as well as being great for chopping, it has a very sharp edge good for finer work & is easily used as a draw-knife.
I also carry a Gerber Applegate Fairbain folder, great little blade & "flicks" open very nicely!

#56150 - 12/15/05 06:15 PM Re: I'm looking for a good, all around survival knife
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
It is good that you are thinking about this subject. I, too would offer a few suggestions regarding your choices:

As a gen purp survival knife, drop points and clip points seem to be a little more versatile. Tanto points have their limits.

If you are looking at the Cold steel Survival line, the most popular seems to be the SRK. In Iraq, most soldiers prefer that knife to the Kabar or the tanto. I have two SRKs, which were with me a good deal of the time in Baghdad, and were effective as throwning knives against those pesky insurgent date palms that lurked around every corner. They are tough, well balanced knives that are just about the right size for gen carry. Since the SRK line is all carbon steel, the coating they put on the blade does help protect it from corrosion. In time it will wear off with use, or if you do as Chris and reshape the blade (as in convexing the edge), it will gum up the abrasive material, but this is not such a big deal. There are ways to deal with it if you need to.

One drawback of the CS recon tanto and the SRK is the tang is indented at the choil, which creates a natural fracture point on the hilt that is prone to failure during heavy batoning or prying. I wish CS would've either left the tang full, or swept the indent so there isn't such a dramatic bevel.

For truly duty grade survival knives, I have gone to the Swamp Rat line. They have an excellent reputation, though retail supply is significantly wanting due to the high demand and the limited production (Swamp Rat knives are made during the graveyard shift using the Busse production facilities). I have a larger knife of theirs that is perfect for splitting wood, lopping branches, fingers and toes, and cutting nail heads off of boards. Their blade edge and the girth of the body make it a truly survival tool, albeit a little bit pricey. You get what you pay for, and for as much knife as you get out of a $50 SRK, you get that much more, and then some, from a $130 Swamp Rat. I dare say my Swamp rat will outperform any khukri out there for similar tasks, and can do a few things I would never attempt with a khukri design.

You'll no doubt notice that no one is commenting on the Buck, and I will here. Buck makes good quality knives, and they are likely worth what they cost, more or less, but they are not the same caliber as CS, Kabar, Benchmade, Spyderco, Becker, or others. They are a lower quality knife; still usable, but not quite so reliable.

If you do go for a Khukri, I will side with Chris and recommend going native.

Good luck, let us know what you end up with.

#56151 - 12/15/05 11:57 PM Re: I'm looking for a good, all around survival knife
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Read "98.6 The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive" by Cody Lundin. You will see that a $10.00 Mora knife is the all around survival knife. The rest are for ego gratification. I have a Cold Steel SRK, Master Hunter, and True Flight Thrower. They are all great knifes. But ... the Mora cuts wood much easier than any of them. Once you try a Mora you will love the knife but hate that it works so much better than any other knife on wood.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 310 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.