Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5497 - 04/16/02 11:35 AM SW Receiver
Anonymous
Unregistered

I’ve got some credit at REI- one of those patronage-dividend things. Unfortunately, I’ve got a lot more camping and hiking gear than I’ve been able to use for awhile. I’ve been fishing around for something worthwhile to use the credit on.<br><br>Following my own “urban survival” advice about having a battery-powered radio at work (other than the tiny one in the UPSK itself, which I’d rather reserve for use on the move), I’ve been eyeing the Grundig YB300 PE shortwave/am/fm. Mind you, REI doesn’t have a huge selection of such things- no YB400, no better SW receivers, no other SW brands.<br><br>This has other advantages- it can be dropped in a briefcase or pack, it could be useful during business travel (which may well be coming up) both as SW and clock/radio… and I’ve been disappointed in the SW performance of one of my Baygen/Freeplay crank radios, so I’d like to have at least on decent SW receiver.<br><br>Does anyone more familiar with these things than I am (practically anyone with an interest, I expect) care to offer any comments on this make/model?<br>

#5498 - 04/16/02 12:57 PM Re: SW Receiver
Anonymous
Unregistered

Starting about July, you can receive your entire REI dividend credit in cash. Then you can get what you really want. But how can you possibly have all the camping/hiking gear you need? That is like reaching the end of the Internet. Surely there is one more knife....

#5499 - 04/16/02 01:52 PM Re: SW Receiver
Anonymous
Unregistered

I understand.. and I may go that route... but I've been burned that way before. Around about July, unless there's something pressing, I tend to think I'll just let it sit there until Christmas shopping season. If I don't get to an REI then (and I usually don't), then a couple of weeks later- poof! It all reverts to REI. That's happened more than once, with small amounts.<br><br>For that matter, if you don't want to wait until July, you don't have to. Buy one small item in the store, use the coupon, and they give you the balance of the dividend in change.<br><br>The problem with camping and hiking gear is not so much that I have EVERYTHING (though I must be getting close- the garage is packed) as REI's selection. It takes about a half hour to drive to the nearest one- then they never have any shoes that fit (no widths), the packs and tents are too garish, a third of the stuff in the catalog is not in stock, etc. etc.<br><br>And, of course, there is always one more knife on the list- never mind that there must be 200 around here already- but it's seldom one of the ones that they carry. Their selection is pretty limited, and seems to have been chosen with one eye on the PC police. With knives, it's also hard to conscience paying 40 percent or more over internet prices.<br><br>In fact, I've killed the credit card (not my membership) that generates practically all of the dividend, so this is very likely the last year it will be a question. And I am intrigued by the YB300.<br>

#5500 - 04/16/02 04:57 PM Re: SW Receiver
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have had a similar Grundig receiver for about three years now and I am very happy with the performance. Granted, it is not as sensitive as my Yaesu HF tranceiver but for all around SW broadcast reception it is just fine. I can receive the BBC, Deutche Welle (Germany), Radio Netherlands, etc. from the east coast with just the telescoping antenna. It also has a good FM receiver and the AM reception is acceptable as well (my radio uses an internal bar antenna for the AM band as opposed to the whip). <br><br> If you think you will need better SW reception then you can attach about 20 feet or more of stranded copper wire from Radio Shack to the antenna and hang it out the window or over a tree limb.<br><br>All in all, I think you will be happy with the radio.<br><br>Chris

#5501 - 04/16/02 10:25 PM Re: SW Receiver
Anonymous
Unregistered

Apologize an italian guy.. :)<br>what is that REI?<br><br>I'm sorry not to be able to give an help: my Grundig SW radio has 30 years! (I've a father that is an electronic fan like me.. smile )<br><br>mac

#5502 - 04/16/02 11:01 PM Re: SW Receiver
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Recreational Equipment, Inc.<br><br>Hope that helps!

#5503 - 04/16/02 11:02 PM Re: SW Receiver
PeterR Offline

Loc: Wollongong [ 34.25S 150.52E ] ...
In the 'bang for your buck' stakes you should look at the Sangean ATS-909. Very well featured, including all band coverage, including lower side band and upper side band in SSB mode, a large memory available on all frequencies, rotary digital tuning, plus 'direct dial-in' frequency. Hard to find a radio of this size [ about the same size as the old Grundig Yachtboy ] with so many features for such a good price. [ I have no commercial or other ties with Sangean].<br>The downside of the ATS is that it is microprocessor controlled, which means it can eat batteries [ AAs ]. But as a 'bang for your buck' receiver, it has built a good reputation over recent years among the SWL fraternity.

#5504 - 04/17/02 12:05 AM Re: SW Receiver
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>In the 'bang for your buck' stakes you should look at the Sangean ATS-909<<<br><br>Will do. REI doesn't carry them, so it won't be as convenient a deal if I go that way. How many bucks go "bang"?<br>

#5505 - 04/17/02 12:29 AM Re: SW Receiver
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry, I should have been more clear.<br><br>As Tom helpfully pointed out, REI is Recreational Equipment Incorporated (and he provided a link). It's a nation-wide US chain of outdoor stores and catalogs that give discounts and rebates on purchases to members- and membership is for life. They also have a Visa card that earns points for other purchases, that turn into store credit at the end of the year.

#5506 - 04/18/02 12:08 AM Re: SW Receiver
PeterR Offline

Loc: Wollongong [ 34.25S 150.52E ] ...
From memory I think Radio Shack may be Sangean agents. Yes, I have found a link: <br>http://www1.shore.net/~dmoisan/faqs/sangean/ats909faq.html<br>That should give you a fair comparison. Again, from memory, the ATS 909 is around $250 your money, may be even less.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 269 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.