Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#5267 - 04/08/02 03:17 PM Re: Hat (long, sorry)
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
>>>Other than that, they let the sun burn the tops of your ears and the back of your neck. Useless.<<<<br><br>True. But in real sunny conditions I will drape a bandana across the back of my head and place the cap over it to keep it secure. If it's hot, I'll wet the bandana first plus wear a wet bandana around my neck.<br><br>I've looked at wide brimmed hats but haven't found one that caught my fancy. Perhaps I'm just too set in my ways. A baseball cap stays put when it's on, except in the stiffest of winds ... and I'm used to it.<br><br>I do wear the cap to work, but not in the office. I have surprised a few coworked if I run into them outside of the office on the way in. Not only do I wear the cap, but I've taken to wear my Suisse Spor jacket with the zip out poly liner, and a carry my stuff in small backpack instead of a briefcase or PC Shoulder bag. I used to use a shoulder bag, but the added weight on the one side started to cause cronic pain in that shoulder and the related knee (bad knees to begins with). Switching to bacpack eliminated that problem, and is much more comfortable to carry.<br><br>Not playing the dress up game may result in my losing social points in the coporate soap opera. But I know my job and do it well, and so far I have had the fortune of working with folks who value that over a sharp, stylish leather coat. (Of coarse, I do adopt the business dress code when appropriate, such as when there are board meeting or when a customer in in the office.)

#5268 - 04/08/02 05:42 PM Re: Hat (and other things)
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>in real sunny conditions I will drape a bandana across the back of my head and place the cap over it to keep it secure. If it's hot, I'll wet the bandana first plus wear a wet bandana around my neck<<<br><br>Uh… ok. To be honest, I think I could use similar work-arounds to justify wearing a fez, if I wanted to… but that doesn’t make it a wilderness hat. :-) <br><br>There are some advantages to a brimmed hat that are rarely mentioned. Obviously, they provide shade, and having a high and/or insulated (Tilley) crown shields the head from the beating sun (and there’s one advantage of a fez over a baseball cap, if you want :-)... but also a disadvantage of “boonie” hats). In cooler weather, though, the trapped air in the crown is insulation, and (with no wind, at least) the brim delays the rising flow of air warmed by the body so that it forms a thicker layer of warmth around the head and face, where most heat loss is. More than most designs, it tends to moderate both ways- much cooler than you’d be without it in the hot sun, warmer than you’d be without it in cold weather. Like a boonie, the sides of a Tilley snap up- sometimes useful to keep it clear of a slung rifle, often useful to clear hearing protectors when shooting- and the back of your neck doesn't get burned when shooting prone.<br><br>They do require a strap or cord for wind.. but if you’re someplace where you’ll be in real trouble without a hat (the desert, high country, or sailing), it had better have some sort of retainer whatever type you wear. The Tilley has an unusual arrangement that works, but takes some getting used to. When not needed, I just keep the cord velcroed up in the crown… there’s this little pocket.. it’s easier to see than describe.<br><br>In the end, hats are probably as personal as knives, and I doubt that we'll reach much more of a consensus.<br><br>My workplaces tend toward suits rather than leather jackets, and it’s very unusual to see a man in a suit with a hat these days, especially without an overcoat.<br><br>I’ve had no back or other problems with the shoulder pouch, wore it (well, one very like it) on a combined drive/subway/walk commute daily for two years. I usually leave it as a shoulder pouch for easy on/off, but this particular one does have straps behind a zippered panel to convert it to a light pack, if I’m facing real distance- like walking out of the city into the suburbs.<br><br>For short distances, I just sling it over the shoulder on the side it's riding on. For longer distances, I'll often sling it across my chest, which seems to balance better. I haven't had to use it as a pack yet.<br>

#5269 - 04/08/02 08:18 PM Tilley Tuckaway Cap
Pat_Galea Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Has anyone tried the Tilley Tuckaway Cap?<br><br>http://www.tilley.com/shop3.asp?productno=TTC&detail=low&path=root\Tilley_Hats<br><br>It's shown in my latest Tilley catalog, and looks like it might be just what I'm looking for.

#5270 - 04/08/02 10:11 PM Re: Tilley Tuckaway Cap
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>Has anyone tried the Tilley Tuckaway Cap?<<<br><br>Not I, sorry. <br><br>I see that they've come up with a number of new models since I looked at their catalog. Personally, I find the Lightweight LT3/LT6 intriguing. The higher crown of the LT6 should make the ventilation provided by the grommets more effective. The "supplex" (microfiber, I think) probably kills the need to stretch and re-shape them after washing, but I worry- a lot of synthetics reek once they get sweaty, and it never seems to go away no matter how much they're washed after that.<br><br>In my experience, it's almost impossible to destroy their hats. Eventually the edges of the brim start to fray a bit, and they do stain, but that just adds character. I finally ended up upgrading the last time just because they came out with the brims that are dark green on the underside, and that really does reduce glare. The previous well-traveled all-tan one is still in the closet. Both are T3s. I've been tempted to get an all-green (olive) T3 with the screens in the grommets for woodland trips, but I havn't broken down yet.<br><br>I wish I could say the same of their other gear, but most of it is not warrantied as the hats are, and my personal experience has been disappointing. I hope the hats keep up their previous standard of quality.<br><br>The cap you're looking at looks very much like a fishing cap a friend of mine bought a few years ago at REI, including the rear flap.. I'll have to ask her who the manufactuer was. Might have been Columbia, I know it's wasn't Tilley. She also owns a T4, which has a brim short on the sides and longer fore and aft.<br>

#5271 - 04/08/02 11:38 PM Re: Tilley Tuckaway Cap
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I have not tried the TuckAway hat. It looks like it might be a good idea.<br><br>I have 2 Tilley hats, a T3 and a T4. Both are excellent, but I much prefer the fit and sunshading of the T4. The curved brim, higher crown, and green underside brim of the T4 make it a much better hat, IMHO.<br><br>I added a 4 shoestring braid and threaded a Done Right spark rod on a small piece of wood to the braid. <br><br>These hats stay on with the chin strap arrangement, are great wetted to cool the brain, shed sun and rain, wear well, and look good. They even come with a loss "insurance" policy. <br><br>My overall experience with Tilley has been great.<br><br>I usually wear a hat everday. Winter a rollup wool felt Bailey, Filson packer for rain, or Alpaca Bolivian earflap stocking cap (always in my coat). Summer the Tilley or an Akubra straw hat.<br><br>I have been known to wear the alpaca hat under the Tilley when it is both cold and wet. Hey this gets noticed...not quite the Soviet Army Tanker in downtown LA, but close.

#5272 - 04/09/02 12:44 AM Hat question...
Anonymous
Unregistered

While we're on the subject- there's one "hat" situation that I've never really been able to work out..<br><br>Typically, when backpacking I'd like to be able to don and doff a hat quickly and easily, with changes in temperature, or sun, or just level of exercise. Especially when hauling a heavy pack up a mountain, away from direct sunlight, a hat serves no function and gets too hot very quickly.. but fifteen minutes later, back in the beating sun, I need it again. Without a pack, I can just hang it down my back with the cord around my neck (sometimes it's still too hot against my back, and the cord can get uncomfortable around my neck)- but what do you do with a hat you no longer want on your head when you're wearing a full-size pack? I certainly don't want to stop and take off the pack each time, nor do I really want to be constantly rolling it or wadding it up. Hanging it anywhere in front or to the side is in the way and catches on things. Nothing that I've tried so far has worked particularly well.<br><br>Has anyone come up with a good solution for this?

#5273 - 04/09/02 12:55 AM Re: Hat question...
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I really never take my hat off when I am outside. This is primarily due to my complete lack of a natural solar shield topside :)<br><br>However, I have had good luck using my packs top pocket for things I want as I am walking. I can reach back behind my head, unzip the top pocket and either grab small things or stuff things in. I need to pack the top pocket carefully so as to not lose small items. Usually I keep only my map and a bag of GORP here. I could easily stuff my hat up there if I felt I could survive the suns rays for greater than 5 minutes.

#5274 - 04/09/02 06:51 AM Re: Tilley Tuckaway Cap
Pat_Galea Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Thanks for the comments!<br><br>I've got a T3 with which I'm very pleased, and a T4 (I think - it's the smaller summer model). Very rugged, and just what I need for the British weather.<br><br>I usually wear a baseball cap; it keeps the rain off my glasses, it provides some shielding from annoying glare and it keeps my head a little warmer. The TTC looks like a nice alternative particularly for the summer.<br><br>A Tilley that can be stuffed in a pocket... mmm, my mouth is watering already! :-)

#5275 - 04/09/02 01:05 PM Re: Tilley Tuckaway Cap
Anonymous
Unregistered

As I said, my friend has a T4. I sort of like the higher crown, but the low crown and side snaps on the brim of the T3 allow it to be used with hearing protectors for shooting. Maybe this is also a factor for pilots who use headphones, but I wouldn't know. The T3 also comes with the green underside of the brim now.<br><br>Her T4 is softer than my T3s somehow- the brim is not as tightly stitched, I think. I'm not sure whether I like that or not, I guess I'd have to use one awhile to know. I'd have been more interested in the T4 if it had snaps. The T4 does have the grommets higher, which makes sense to me.<br><br>As I said, I'm intrigued by the LT6, with my only reservation being the Supplex material. I'll probably end up buying one. Did you catch the note about new velcro tabs for those who stick their sunglasses through the grommets? I didn't think of doing that.<br><br>I agree in general about the Tilleys, mine have been the most valuable single piece of equipment (that got used, anyway) on several trips. They used to be sort of hard to find and distinctive, but now there are several imitations, and the marina shops are selling Tilleys and the imitations like hotcakes. <br><br>Still, the only low-status Tilley is one with bright, shiny snaps and grommets (you can tell it hasn't been anywhere). Annoyed by this with the first one I had, I started a ritual of ceremoniously dunking it in each major body of water I hit- several rivers, the Atlantic, the Pacific, and the Gulf with the first. Of course, that means that with each Tilley I buy I have to start all over again... he he...<br>

#5276 - 04/09/02 11:32 PM Re: Hat question...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi!<br>Finally there is a question that I can answer too ;)<br><br>Usually I like too to don and doff the hat quickly, so if I wear a baseball cap I hang it or at my belt (or backpack's hipbelt) or lock between the pectoral belt and my chest.<br>If I have my aussie hat or my scout's hat I put it on the top of my pack where is a little nest (I can easily do this move without taking of f the backpack)<br><br>well, just my two cents (with the coming of the Euro I may use cents too ;)) )<br><br>mac

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 220 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
53 minutes 1 second ago
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.