Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#5242 - 04/10/02 08:26 PM Re: Knife Sharpening - (For PresumedLost in partic.)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Presumed!<br>I answer in late because university...<br>Thanks for the suggestions, I will do to to the flat edge. And I'll do a lot of practice with a very very cheap Opinel ;)<br><br>With Peanut Butter I have a strange relationship: there was a time when I can't eat them, but since I read your answer I rescued my Peanut Butter can and I like it (again)<br>I have a friend of mine that is "down under " for a while: when it come back up I ask him to give me a cup of vegemite! I'm curios to know how it is.<br><br>bye,<br>mac

#5243 - 04/10/02 08:46 PM Re: Knife Sharpening - (For PresumedLost in partic.)
Anonymous
Unregistered

You're welcome, "Mac"...<br><br>I like the Opinel knives. They use good steel, and they don't pretend to be anything more than they are. A little hard to open with one hand, though. :-)<br><br>Be VERY cautious with Vegemite. The Australians sometimes don't tell you how they really eat it- on an open sandwich (one slice of bread), perhaps toasted, thickly spread with butter, they take a knife and VERY LIGHTLY make thin streaks of Vegemite on the butter, just enough to add a little taste. Even then, it takes practice to enjoy.<br><br>If you just take some Vegemite in a spoon and put it in your mouth, you will very likely vomit immediately. Some Australians think this is very funny.<br>

#5244 - 04/11/02 04:45 PM Re: Knife Sharpening - (For PresumedLost in partic.)
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Chris...<br><br>1. What grits did you select for the honing paper?<br><br>2. Do you simple store the papers within the tim and plan on adhering them to the outside in a survival situation or did you stick them onto each side of the tin already? If so, how do you wrap the kit? The adhesive from the electrical tape would gum up the grit. Perhaps a few ranger bands, then the tape with a final wrap of paracord. <shrug>

#5245 - 04/12/02 01:51 AM Re: Knife Sharpening - (For PresumedLost in partic.)
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Bill and Presumed, The Lee Valley paper hones are marvelous, I bought the two coarse grades. I took a inexpensive Mora and gave it a theoretical survival workout; shaved some shelter pegs, fuzz sticks for fire, amputated my foot, fought off a wolf pack- the usual. I applied the papers to my PSK and had the blade serviceable in no time. I cut to fit the surviving sheets with one fold, so it rests inside with my Rite in the Rain, knot card and crib sheet. That gives me two full sheets of each. The diamond hone takes up a little more room, but resides under paracord on my sheath.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (04/12/02 05:01 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 291 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.