Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#5130 - 04/04/02 10:11 PM Re: Carry-anywhere urban tool?
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is nothing wrong in trying to be safe....just don't become a slave to the paranoia.<br>WE are the government. Let your voice be heard....

#5131 - 04/05/02 01:57 AM Re: Carry-anywhere urban tool?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been a prosecutor ofr a long time. The issue isn't whether your going to be convicted of a crime. Most of the time the only issue is whether you're going to get hassled or get your tool taken away. All the make lawyers in our office carry a pocketknife of some sort. We personally would never maintain a criminal action against anyone for a pocketknife, Paratool, etc.<br><br>We are not a CCW state, and we have little tolerance for concealed handguns.<br><br>When I was in the process of adopting my daughter I had to go to a local INS office. This was before 9/11. They made me get rid of by tiny little Gerber pocketknife. OK, I understood that. But when the guy started examining my tiny little sabertech keychain tool I got pissed. <br>The problem is whether you're going to get hassled. When I had to get rid of my pocketknife I lost a treasured place in a long line. I was given the choice of putting it back in my car or having it confiscated.

#5132 - 04/05/02 05:14 PM Re: Carry-anywhere urban tool?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I carried a Swiss Army knife in my backpack since junior high until I replaced it with my Leatherman a few years ago (half way through college). No hassles smile I helped my teachers work on computers during lunch break some times so I carried tools with me regularly...hehe Also carried a ham radio from 10th grade until graduation.<br><br>On the other hand, my buddy got kicked out of his school for having a knife over 3.5". The blade was an inch and a half or two, but they counted the handle too so he got expelled. Drrrr?!

#5133 - 04/06/02 12:43 AM Re: Carry-anywhere urban tool? (Leatherman reply)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I received an appropriate response from Leatherman regarding my request for a "carry-anywhere" Leatherman tool. No surprises, but at least they're thinking about the problem. <br><br>Here it is:<br><br>-------<br>Thank you for your email and suggestion for a knifeless Leatherman. This has been a popular request since the 9/11 tragedy. <br><br>I think having a product that both students and traveler's would be able to carry is a good idea. The problem however lies more than just with the knife unfortunately. At this time, airlines are restricting files and screwdrivers too (not to mention scissors or an awl) as these could also be considered "weapons". While we are presently looking at options for a knifeless product, at the same time we hesitate to diminish the utility of the tool. Once we remove the file, or screwdrivers or knife, there isn't a whole lot left that serves a daily function. Would anyone buy a product that offers so few components? We're honestly not sure. Perhaps a good alternative would be to develop a product where the user can add or take away the individual components at will. This also, is something we will investigate as we develop future products. <br><br>We appreciate your support and hope we can develop a product soon that will allow more people to safely carry our products without the worry of negative repercussions. <br><br>Thank you for your interest and taking the time to write to us.<br>--------<br><br>

#5134 - 04/06/02 01:52 AM Re: Carry-anywhere urban tool? (Leatherman reply)
Anonymous
Unregistered

The sad fact is that most of the guys running security at the airport are not law enforcement. They don't have the training or the common sense. A couple years ago this older woman got brought into court after being picked up on an old traffic warrant. She explained to the judge that she was an airport security guard. Thair background check was so bad they missed an outstanding warrant! I hope things have improved post 9/11.<br><br><br>I'm serious they looked at the tiny wire clippers in my little keychain Sabertool then called over a supervisor to ask if it was an edged weapon. The little thing not only is an edged weapon, frankly I question if it's even any good for it's intended purpose.

#5135 - 04/06/02 03:31 AM Re: Carry-anywhere urban tool?
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Sk,<br><br>Don't confuse good luck with legality. Apparently your teachers are more concerned with common sense than punctilious enforcement of laws. I suggest you conform to legal requirements no matter how assanine you think they are. The adverse consequences from being caught behaving otherwise are draconian. A felony conviction would disqualify you from many of the privileges & rights we take for granted, e.g.: voting, shooting, many kinds of employment, & many other things.<br><br>John

#5136 - 04/06/02 08:00 PM Re: Carry-anywhere urban tool?
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
I suppose this is getting off-topic, although the right to carry SAK and Leatherman tools is obviously something that's of interest to us all; but the biggest problem I have with "security" is that all too often, it's either not secure or it's used as a scapegoat by someone who wants to shove through an unpopular measure and knows it would never be tolerated if it wasn't justified by "security". <br><br>If they were really interested in preventing a hijacking, why is it that in every major airport in North America, I can still buy wine in glass bottles *inside* the security perimeter? Be honest - if you were a suicide terrorist, what weapon would you prefer - a pair of nail clippers, or a broken bottle? Yet nail clippers will be confiscated by security (as my 80-year old mother found out); they'll sell you the broken bottle (or at least the "kit" for making it :-) inside the security zone.<br><br>Biggest problem is, there are too many people who *think* they understand security, but don't really have a clue. Even the police and FBI don't always understand how security really works.<br><br>Disclaimer: By a strange coincidence, I happen to be a computer security engineer in real life, and I also teach computer security awareness as a sideline. Not that I'm advertising or anything :-)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 224 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
Today at 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.