Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#51253 - 10/05/05 06:59 PM Question for EM Responders
Anonymous
Unregistered

I carry a keychain USB drive with "important documents" encrypted on it. I have a medical information file on it but it is encrypted also. My question is, would it be practical to have a medical info file available for EM use. Do most reponders carry a laptop to access it? Would it be practical to label the drive for "medic alert" use? Just wondering.

#51254 - 10/05/05 07:15 PM Re: Question for EM Responders
Flotsam Offline

Loc: Connecticut
You would probably be better off w/ a laminated card in your wallet w/ any pertinent info - medical conditions, allergies, current medications, name/number of your PCP/Doc - These are the items I'd want to know right off when an EMT/Medic brings you in (If I needed more info, I'd get your Doc on the phone from the ED) You should be able to put that on a business-sized card & keep it w/ your ID.

Accessing a USB drive, while possible, probably not terribly practical or probable in an emergency setting.

Sam

#51255 - 10/05/05 07:24 PM Re: Question for EM Responders
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
It might be useful for an Emergency Room/Department situation rather then in the field. The fact that we do not have lap tops (other jurisdictions might – so it might be worth checking locally) nor the time, I would suggest going the route that Floatsam has suggested with a laminated card (although many times the wallet goes with law enforcement before we get to see it) or better yet, if you have a specific medical condition, a MEDICAL ALERT item (bracelet, necklace, watch charm, etc.).

Pete

#51256 - 10/06/05 01:48 AM Re: Question for EM Responders
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Medic Alert USB

Medic alert has begun a branded program that works similar to the necklace/bracelet system. I can't tell from the pictures if the ER will have the information needed to call if they don't have USB.

Edited by UTAlumnus (10/06/05 01:50 AM)

#51257 - 10/06/05 02:06 AM Re: Question for EM Responders
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I carry the info card that Flotsam suggests, but it has on it in BIG BOLD type, MORE INFO ON USB DRIVE. I carry my Living Will on there, along with enough contact info to choke a mule.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#51258 - 10/06/05 02:37 AM Re: Question for EM Responders
tfisher Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
I can speak for our response units. We would not have any way to read your usb device. I think in the future it will probably be used more often. And as others have mentioned in the ER more than it the field.

#51259 - 10/06/05 02:50 AM Re: Question for EM Responders
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
We don't have any computers onboard, and the medic squads we run with don't either. I'd suggest that any encrypted files would be useless to us, even if we DID have a computer with an open USB port and the software to read it.

We look for medic-alert bracelets, anklets and medical alert tatoos (e.g. PACEMAKER - DO NOT DEFIBRILATE")

#51260 - 10/06/05 03:09 AM Re: Question for EM Responders
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
One more thought on this. I'm I fireman and we run as a rescue (not medical) squad. Car wrecks, falls from cliffs, boat wrecks, confined space rescue, trench collapse, construction accidents, stuff like that. I'm also a firefighter, but we do far more rescue work than firefighting in our district. We're not "Medics" we're "First Responders" and the paid EMT's and Paramedics are on-scene too. But we're the ones who are there first - as we like to say, if we were there any sooner, we'd have to wreck the car for you.

When I roll up to a car wreck, there's a number of things that go on - in this order - this all happens, often, in a matter of seconds - but not always.

a) what has happened?
b) is it safe for me to get and be near the patient?
c) what needs to be done to prevent further harm to the patient?
d) do I need more help to proceed safely?
e) what is the current condition of the patient?
f) what is the most immediate threat to the life of the patient that must be addressed?
g) what curative steps can I take to save the life of this patient?

Only much later do I care about things like medical history, name of the patient, or anything like that. At that point, we've started cutting you out of the car, or we've begun to package you for transport to more advanced care.

Sure, if you're epileptic, that's good to know, but if you have a gear-shift embedded in your gut, we don't really care too much about your epilepsy at that moment or if you take Lipitor. We want to make sure you can breath, your blood is circulating and that you don't get MORE injured as a result of anything that happens AFTER your car wreck, fall, whatever.

The medic squad takes it to the next level - they administer drugs, do ventilation and more, as needed. Aside from informing the ER by radio that we have a patient "taking X miligrams of Such and Such, and Y miligrams of So and So" I've never seen them really that concerned with the medical history of the patient on the scene - but they do look for medic alert tags and such. But it tends to be informational not curative.

#51261 - 10/06/05 03:13 AM Re: Question for EM Responders
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Thanks for reminding me about that half of my intended reply, Martin- You encrypt files to keep people from looking at them. Medical facilities aren't going to have the resources, time, money, skill or interest to beother to crack you data. And even if you tell them to look, if they don't have the key, it's gibberish.

If you want them to be understood by any computer, plain, basic TXT files are best, even after 20 years, with PDF and basic HTML with JPGs and GIFs your next options if you feel that you really, really need to have photos.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#51262 - 10/06/05 04:07 AM Re: Question for EM Responders
Anonymous
Unregistered

agree with the laminated card best.........usb drives are the latest fad......great idea, but everyone is not used to looking for them yet............i know this last statement will be both loved and hated, but i'm still waiting for the DNR forehead tatoo to catch on..........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 284 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by Phaedrus
05/31/24 09:49 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.