Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#50264 - 09/26/05 09:33 PM Merino wool! Organic cotton!?
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Yeah Merino wool is interesting. It stays warm when wet and also breaks the wind a little bit and is flame retardant but also expensive. I tested it on a 61F pouring rain day when I wore a light merino wool shirt that I bought at MEC and cotton CK khaki. I felt warm on the top and cold on the bottom.

But what about organic cotton ? I see it more and more on outdoor stores shelves?

Frankie

#50265 - 09/27/05 01:32 AM Re: Its about life style not brand name!
SheepDog Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wild Wonderful WV
As you read through the post so far you will see several trends as well as several things people disagree on. Some are very opinionated about things like cotton clothing without taking into account the climate of the others on this worldwide forum.
What you need to do is learn the principles of dressing to survive for your weather and time of year.
The obvious benefits of cotton during the summertime in hot climes are totally negated in cold climes. Yes cotton is much better around fire than the poly whatever flavor of the month fabric, but so is leather and wool for winter dress. Each like everything else in this world has its advantages played against its disadvantages.
You seem to be in an awful hurry to catch up with many of us gadget wise with out realizing it’s about life style and a way of thinking not gadgets. Many on this forum live this day-to-day and have for years. Many of us have lived though “interesting” times and know its just a matter of time before more “interesting” things happen to us so we do what needs to be done ahead of time to live to see the next set of “interesting” developments.
This is not something you can throw money at to make happen it is something you learn about over a lifetime.
I have no clue if you are doing research here or are just a little worried about what you see happening around you. Either way you need to slow down take a deep breath a feel the rhythm of this forum, learn some of its history by reading or at least scanning the old postings.
You may think people here are acting a little tribal but that is to be expected we are use to the ebb and flow of this forum and are not use to you yet. If you are a kindred spirit you will fit in it just take time!

#50266 - 09/27/05 11:00 AM Re: What clothing styles/brands do you wear?
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
It varies considerably depending on whether I am home or abroad. A lot of my home/casual clothing is also seasonal based. For instance, I own a lot of Costco Kirkland brand items, like their Merino Wool sweaters, or their jeans, or their cotton crew socks. I also have a good number of off brand print shirts, some Dickies from my previous job, Carhartts, Danner Boots, and a Raffinati Tux my wife said I had to have.

Here in the sandbox, I have wolverine boots, Nike boots, and New Balance tennis shoes. I use underarmor shirts and boxerbriefs, and also sometimes fruit of the loom. My wife sends me a lot of inexpensive synthetic tees because they wick perspiration and breath better than cotton. I have REI cargo pants, Columbia Sportswear pants, more Costco Kirkland jeans. I also have some Columbia sportswear synthetic button up shirts, some REI synthetic button up shirts, and some Ex Officio button up shirts. I have a Columbia Sportswear ventilated boonie hat, and a few different shemaghs from Pakistan. I wear issued safety glasses (tinted) or WileyX brand tinted safety glasses. I think the socks are Hanes, but I'm not sure. It's whatever the 10 pack they sold at the PX was at the time I bought them.

My absolute best coat is a Rivers West H2H fleece ATJ parka.

#50267 - 09/27/05 11:45 AM Re: Merino wool! Organic cotton!?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Merino wool is a great material to keep you warm & dry. I don’t mind the extra expense especially for socks. What’s the point in a top line boot if the socks don’t perform as well? Top line clothing, of course, is not for everyday wear. I can’t afford it. They are used for strenuous outdoor activities or standing around ice fishing…

As for organic cotton, I don’t think it has different properties from regular cotton. I believe it is an environmental choice.

#50268 - 09/27/05 01:00 PM Re: Merino wool! Organic cotton!?
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Costco typically carries Merino wool sweaters in season for like $18 a piece. They look good, but they work real nice as an underlayer beneath my work jacket and such. I wore them daily doing remote radio work. Never worried much about damaging them.

Cotton is cotton. Hemp is better.

#50269 - 09/27/05 01:07 PM Re: Merino wool! Organic cotton!?
ChristinaRodriguez Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
I think maybe I'm allergic to merino wool. I got these long underwear sets from the Post Exchange and they are great at keeping me warm. The only thing is, they itch a bit (not that big of a deal), and my face gets red and a bit blotchy.

I'm hoping that over time I'll develop a resistance to them (why get rid of them when I got them at a great price?), or maybe I'll try organic cotton as well.

#50270 - 09/27/05 02:32 PM Re: Its about life style not brand name!
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Well said, Sheep.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#50271 - 09/27/05 11:07 PM Re: Merino wool! Organic cotton!?
GardenGrrl Offline

Generally, if a wool thing is itchy just where it touches your skin, the reason is that the wool was poorly processed (for example, with lye--yuck!) or was of bad quality to start with. If you get red and blotchy on a part of your body that is not actually in contact with the wool, then that is an allergic reaction and you can't develop a resistance. Maybe silk is a better fiber for you.

I'm allergic to mohair and angora, but not wool. I actually start sneezing in a room with an angora sweater in it.

#50272 - 09/27/05 11:47 PM Re: Merino wool! Organic cotton!?
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Well they will itch. Try wearing raw wool untreated and unbleached... Ouch. What a torture to put kid thru but that's what I get for growing up in sheep country.

ANd your face... Well if it is cold enough to wear merino wool long underwear I bet you the redish cheeks come from the cold not from the allergic reaction.

#50273 - 09/28/05 03:54 AM Re: What clothing styles/brands do you wear?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not that specific brands make or break my attire but here it goes for myself
Boots-merrill, Vasque
Socks-depends, do like some fox river, coloumbia(specific ones)
Outer wear -mountain hardwear or Marmont parkas/fleece/pants
shirts-love columbia GRT tees-great wicking abilities/mountain hardwear & columbia button ups
Pants-again mountain hardwear are the top, also like rei and north face convertible pack pants
underwear-exofficio
belts-last chance belt or Black Diamond (nylon)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 222 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.