Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#49848 - 09/23/05 10:49 PM Re: What type of bug bag should be use?
PackRat Offline
Journeyman

I travel with this rolling duffle and the large size is huge but the backpack harness is pretty basic.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detai...D=1127515286597

I am thinking a golf trolley might be handy with a duffle or backpack strapped on.

#49849 - 09/24/05 06:10 AM Re: What type of bug bag should be use?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would highly recommend a backpack with hydration capability. Capacity should be based upon what you can comfortably carry. Are you in good enough shape to carry more than 20% of your body weight? Unfortunately I don't know metrics offhand, but you're probably looking at around 30 pounds for every 1000 cubic inches of volume. The hydration bladder will cut into the amount of available volume in the pack. Most bladders are 100 ounces, or 3 liters. Depending upon how long you think you'll need to move, a second bladder may be in order.

Many of your essential tools, such as a knife, flashlight, compass, sunglasses, face mask, communications, money, identification, etc., should be carried on your person, not in the pack. Ultimately the pack may be expendable. Backup water in packets, or a flask is also a good idea.

It doesn't need to be a big pack. Your most important items are water, an emergency shelter, a personal first aid kit, a trauma kit, essential personal medicines if any, more clothing layers for cold or wet depending on conditions, and space for food. Space for spare underwear and toiletries is nice, but you may only need (or be able) to use a change of socks.

Needless to say, this applies to your own needs only. If you are responsible for others, you may need to carry more, but never more than you are able to. Also this only applies to being on the move. You should have a separate kit for sheltering in place; do not cannibalize your evacuation bag for these purposes.

#49850 - 09/24/05 01:41 PM Re: What type of bug bag should be use?
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Quote:
Unfortunately I don't know metrics offhand, but you're probably looking at around 30 pounds for every 1000 cubic inches of volume.

I think it's more like 10 pounds per 1000 cubic inches. To get 30 pounds in that volume you'd have to be carrying rocks or lead.

#49851 - 09/24/05 06:08 PM Re: What type of bug bag should be use?
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Keep in mind wheels -- a luggage cart or garden wagon can carry a lot of gear. ( especially water.)

tro

#49852 - 09/24/05 10:14 PM Re: What type of bug bag should be use?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Im thinking about making myself a makeshift BOB. I have an internal-frame hiking backpac I use a lot for camping, hiking, and a few times on vacation where I am not playing Tourist. I dont have it with me right now (down in the basement in storage) to check the maker, but I can say offhand that I have been able to pack 8 days worth of clothing into the main compartment with all the extras (fleece pullover, swim trunks, hats) and it also has two side pouches both larger than a normal Nalgene bottle and front pouches large enough to carry two textbooks on top of each other each. Been thinking about turning it into a permanent BOB, but not sure if this meets the requirements. Most people seem to be using much smaller systems that would easily blend into an urban area.

As for a little info about me: I am not not a huge guy. 6'2, 190, I do some lifting but not nearly as ripped as I ought to be. Still, I have sort of conditioned myself for carrying loads throughout HS, since I never used a locker and just carried the smallest backpack I could manage to fit all my textbooks in it. So, for the last 5-6 years I have carried a little less than 40 pounds on my back without any issues (It wieghed in at 38 when I was messing around at wrestling and wanted to see how it looked on the scale). I have also gone backpacking with Boy Scouts and been able to carry 70+ pounds in that large backpack (damn them and their desire to bring dutch ovens wherever they go) on 15 mile-per-day trips.

I do not own a handgun yet, as laws around here wont permit me to CCW and I have longarms for home defense (few old hunting rifles). I dont believe I have nearly enough toys to get me through most situations I can imagine needing to bug-out for, either. Working on that. My outdoor survival gear is limited right now, but I can work on getting anything legal around here.

#49853 - 09/25/05 06:57 AM Re: What type of bug bag should be use?
paulr Offline
Addict

It never would have occurred to me but for an urban BOB, one of those roll-around suitcases with wheels wouldn't be a totally insane choice. Some of them have backpack straps as well, though they're not really suitable for hiking long distances compared with a real backpack.

#49854 - 09/26/05 02:39 AM Re: What type of bug bag should be use?
Bugman37 Offline
journeyman

Mine is a "fishing vest". It has everything I need for 3 days in it. Lots of pockets give me lots of capabilities. I can wear it and walk where I want. Look at ultralight websites to see what you can carry.

Charles

#49855 - 09/26/05 05:55 AM Re: What type of bug bag should be use?
lazermonkey Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Monterey CA
Vest, 2200 ci back pack, edc, and a small duffle.

#49856 - 09/26/05 06:26 AM Re: What type of bug bag should be use?
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
If someone were to observe my family bugging out, they'd probably be thinking, "Now why are those morons taking all that Kitty Litter with them?" The Fresh Step brand comes in nice heavy duty plastic buckets that seal up good and tight and hold canned food and other misc stuff very well. Mind you, I've never actualy bugged out anywhere. My plan is mostly to have things conveniently stored together in the house, and possibly carried out to the car if we have to move. I don't think hauling buckets through the wilderness would be my first choice though.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 233 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.