Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#49625 - 10/15/05 05:00 PM Re: Relief supplies from UK to be burned
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Whats that old quote,"the first casualty of war is the truth?" The Net is rife with urban myths and sensationalism reporting out of New Orleons that has largely been shown false. No mass rapes in the Superdome, black men wearing high end men's clothing (racist images of carpetbagger ex slaves bumping Scarlet off the sidewalk) or some brit's contribution of burned MRE's. It all may good copy, but was to journalism what Benny Hill is to Shakespeare.

#49626 - 10/15/05 10:49 PM Re: Relief supplies from UK to be burned
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Amen. What happened to the huge bonfires greased with fine British mutton while poor starving southern folk looked on? What happened to the Triple A being taken by relief workers? I even recall hearing about cannibalism in the Big Easy. All BS. I guess the New News Creed is: "When the facts become rumor, (or rumour), print the rumor."

As long as it sells.

Regards, Vince

P.S.: For our foreign friends who sent aid, especially the British: Thank You. It will be used. Maybe not in New Orleans, but somewhere. We all know how bureaucracy works and sometimes it ain't pretty. But don't let the press sell you on the idea we are not grateful--we are. God Bless You.

Edited by norad45 (10/15/05 11:07 PM)

#49627 - 10/16/05 02:32 AM Re: Relief supplies from UK to be burned
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I'm just as cynical as the next guy about the press, but I wouldn't be so quick to label the original UK Daily Mirror article about a plan to incinerate the rations as "hysterical B.S." or "sensationalistic journalism". The original article didn't say the rations were already burned, just that they were trucked to an FDA incinerator in Little Rock to be burned.

It is certainly plausible that the original plan was to incinerate the rations. The prions responsible for causing Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease in humans are extremely tough. Incineration is pretty much the only large-scale method of destroying the prions (although there's some debate even about the effectiveness of incineration). So it makes perfect sense that incinerating the rations was the original plan if the USDA was worried about mad cow tainted beef, but once the press got wind of the plan and people were outraged, the gov't decided to hold onto the rations until they could figure out a more politically acceptable resolution. Now they're trying to quietly pawn them off onto other "more needy" countries like Guatemala. So far, there are no takers.

I bet that if the rations sit unused until some of the rations expire next year, the US gov't will still end up quietly incinerating them because that's the accepted way to dispose of potentially BSE-tainted meat.

I share norad45's gratitude to the UK and all the other countries that sent us supplies. That generosity just makes this particular situation all the more regretable and embarassing.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 333 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.