Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#49459 - 09/19/05 11:54 PM NO might be nailed again!?
skunked Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, VA
According to the National Hurricane Center tropical storm Rita might either hit NO or just to the west in Texas. What a nightmare!

#49460 - 09/20/05 12:17 AM Re: NO might be nailed again!?
Marc Offline
Journeyman

Ok...so typical story. I made my mother, who lives alone in the FL keys, a 72+ kit. It had the typical stuff, Dynamo Gruntig radio, poncho, NRA survival kit, AA headlamp, 5 dozen AA batteries, and 7 5 gallon collapsible water jugs, etc. Most things were Wal-Mart sourced because I don't have money to burn and I doubted it would ever make it out of storage. My brother and father thought I had finally lost it. My mother appreciated the thought but it was clear it ended there. To quote her "I have a AA battery and my friends will take care of me." I didn't argue but asked her to at least move it from the driveway (where the UPS guy left it) to inside the house. After a week, out of a desire to shut me up more than anything, she finally did. When Katrina came, she did at least browse through it and see what was in there., but did not bother to fill up the water jugs. Now that Rita is on its way, I just talked to her and before I could even get word out, she was announcing that she had filled all the water jugs up and had bought extra batteries. Now she wants to know what else can be done. She was planning to rebuilding her house anyway (she will need more space once my father retires, something about them killing each other), but now it includes a full size Generator and larger propane tank. Obviously a knee jerk reaction to the media blitz from Katrina. But mission accomplished as far as I am concerned.

Marc

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 128 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.