Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#106030 - 09/17/07 06:48 PM Re: Mr. Heater Portable Buddy -- opinions? [Re: Hghvlocity]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I know this is an old post but I'll throw my 2 cents in any way. I bought one used it in my 14ft Shasta trailer one weekend when it was cold, I bought the adapter to use a 20 lb tank, ran the hose outside through a opening in the floor set up just for that purpose. I did have a window cracked and had no problems. As far as heating a town house, I doubt it would do it.

Just my opinion.

Shadow Out!!!

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#106045 - 09/17/07 07:47 PM Re: Mr. Heater Portable Buddy -- opinions? [Re: snoman]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I use one every winter. I used one (with an external tank) to keep some baby chicks warm, I used one in a tent (really) on a cold cold night with my son. I've used one in a trailer at a long accident investigation, and I've used one while in the garage working on something.

All in all:
They are good, they burn fuel faster than I'd like.
CO Readings are low to none.

#106046 - 09/17/07 07:48 PM Re: Mr. Heater Portable Buddy -- opinions? [Re: Shadow_oo00]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
This heater uses a ruby crystal matrix to catylze the combustion products so that CO is not generated. If the ambient O2 level falls below 19.5% or so, then the unit senses this and extinguishes itself. In this sense, it is far safer than their other products. In fact, it is the only non-CO emitting propane heater I have found on the market.

I used mine with a 20 lb propane tank out hunting elk; first time in the back of my big suburban, with the window cracked. It was snowing and nasty at the time and still I got so hot with the thing cranked all the way down I had to kick off the sleeping bag and shut if off a time or two. The next year I towed my trailer up and used it in there and it kept up, but just barely, with a big storm that came in. I had ice on the windows on the inside, but I was warm enough not to be uncomfortable.

They are susceptible to fouling, and I found out the hard way that the oil that gets in a bulk tank can run up the line and get in the screen and then the thing is done for. If you are going to use bulk propane with it, you better have an oil trap in the line somewhere or it'll foul for sure.

#106048 - 09/17/07 08:02 PM Re: Mr. Heater Portable Buddy -- opinions? [Re: benjammin]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hey benjammin

Thanks for that advise on installing a oil trap, I'll do that before this winters camping trip. I only used my 20 lb once, haven't tried the heater since, hoping it's ok though.

Shadow out !!!

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#106054 - 09/17/07 08:56 PM Re: Mr. Heater Portable Buddy -- opinions? [Re: Shadow_oo00]
hthomp Offline
Outdorus Fanaticas
Journeyman

Loc: AR
On our land, we have enclosed deer stands which are about 5 ft. in diameter by 6 ft. tall with slotted, windowed openings.

When it is cold out, we use small propane heaters inside. We've got Black Cats...and Mr. Buddys. I *MUCH* prefer a Mr. Buddy, if I want to be warm without having to practically sit on top of the unit.

My 2 cents.

Harley

Edited by hthomp (09/17/07 08:57 PM)

#106098 - 09/18/07 02:48 AM Re: Mr. Heater Portable Buddy -- opinions? [Re: Craig]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have no idea how this slipped by me, but it did. We have used both Mr. Heater, and Mr. Heater Big Buddy heaters while boondocking in our motorhome, and love them. I ruined the Big
Buddy by running it off of a refillable 5 gal bottle without a Mr Heater in-line fuel filter installed, and ended up with two Mr Heaters to replace it. All have a built in low oxygen sensor, which will shut the thing down before you croak. But, not trusting to little gizmos like that, we never went to bed with them burning. The Big Buddy was our favorite, since it had a battery (four D cells) operated fan, which really helped to spread the heat around. It worked fine to heat the front end of our 32 ft motorhome, I have my doubts as to how effencient it would be in a home or appartment...

#106199 - 09/19/07 01:31 AM Re: Mr. Heater Portable Buddy -- opinions? [Re: Craig]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
I have two Coleman Black Cat heaters that we use for ice fishing.

They work OK, but IMO, the legs are flimsy and seem likely to break.

Edited by GarlyDog (09/19/07 01:33 AM)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 229 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.