Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#4867 - 03/15/02 04:52 PM Fishing Kit Test/Contents
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Chris,<br><br>I was showing a fellow commuter on the train the Military fishing kit. He's an avid fly fisherman and was impressed on the depth of items included in the kit. He did comment, that it needed more flies (naturally!). Here's his list of what he would include:<br><br>Adams<br>Cadis Fly<br>Stone fly<br>Mickey Finn (salt water)<br>15" fly line<br><br>He said that thsi assortment would cover most common conditions one may run into during a season. Keep in mind that he fishes from the midwest and into the Rockies, at least from what I recall of previouis conversations.<br><br>One caveat, I'm not a fly fisherman (I'm not even a regular fisherman), so I can't vouch for the items on his list. But I thought I'd share his thoughts for thos that are interested. The flies are small and not too expensive, so they could be added to a PSK with little trouble.

#4868 - 03/15/02 05:20 PM Re: Fishing Kit Test/Contents
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I am a active fly fisherman and I agree that his additions are good. I would add a nymph pattern in addition. My favorite is called a Hare's Ear. This imitates the underwater stages of several common aquatic bugs including caddis, stone flies and mayflies. I carry a selection of these in several sizes from 14 to 8. Several can be squeezed into tiny spaces without concern about damage to hackles and wings of the dry flies he has listed.<br><br>The only dry fly I carry is a pattern called the Stimulator. This again is a general pattern that, depending on size, can imitate caddis and stone flies. This is an excelllent pattern in the Rockies.<br><br>The Mickey Finn is a good pattern even in fresh water used to imitate small baitfish. This is one I may add to my kit. The addition of a short piece of fly line is a good idea to help control the drift of the dry flies.<br><br>Fishing dry flies is generally considered more difficult than the underwater flies as the currents cause the fly to drag unnaturally across the water. This is why I have chosen to mostly carry underwater patterns. <br>

#4869 - 03/15/02 06:36 PM Re: Fishing Kit Test/Contents
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hope this is close enuff to topic... I like to make things and I attempted rather successfully I think making hooks from beech twigs which are shaped about right at a fork on the limb and adding a bit of bone found in owl dropings. The bone can be drilled awl like in to the forked twigg, and lashed with any number of coradges. I use my hair.<br><br>Now I don't know how a fish sees this hook exactly, but I think the bone must be seen as some sort of larve, as this works on the trout here. Basicly this is what a steel hook is, but made from what I find in the woods alone....<br>i guess it would work for some as a last resort to catching a fish, but for me it is fun.....Mac

#4870 - 03/15/02 06:59 PM Re: Fishing Kit Test/Contents
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My fishing experience was extremely limited before this series of trials. I made all the classic blunders and discovered fixes ( only to discover the same answers in further research and conversations.) Hopefully Ill have a few photos ( is that Chris or the fish?) to make it interesting. I am trying to arrange a day on an Australian surfboat ( the ones used by the Aussie lifeguards and in competition.) I dug out my Coast Guard gear ( knife, sextant, first generation float coat etc.) the local ship's chandlery asked if I wanted to sell them -as collectables.

#4871 - 03/15/02 09:04 PM Re: Fishing Kit Test/Contents
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
>>>( is that Chris or the fish?) <br><br>Are you implying that the fish you caught are as big as you? Sounds like a fishermans story to me. You may claim to be a novice but you sure caught on in a hurry! :-)<br><br>

#4872 - 03/15/02 09:26 PM Re: Fishing Kit Test/Contents
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

that or the pale, glassy eyed, gulping for air look

#4873 - 03/15/02 11:58 PM Re: Fishing Kit Test/Contents
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Mac, Your post is very much on topic. If you don't have it, improvisation is the only option. All these "native" skills are nothing more than the cutting edge technology of yesterday. My competence with a sextant is looked upon with bemusement by pleasure boaters with GPS!

#4874 - 03/16/02 12:56 PM Re: Fishing Kit Test/Contents
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bill what happens, and I am sure you know it... The more you have fished, and the more you have caught fish, the smaller the fish get..... It seems our Chris has beginers luck. Or he is playing bait Down Under.... If he is playing bait, well Get Out of the Water Chris! ....... Mac

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (chaosmagnet, Eugene), 482 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.