Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#4857 - 03/14/02 10:37 PM PSK Iodine Idea/Questions
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Back when I used GI iodine tablets, there was a wad of fiberglass batt - like a coarse cottonball - stuffed in the bottle to keep the tablets from rattling into powder. Also, the exterior of the cap/bottle junction was sealed with wax - probably a significant percentage of beeswax, but probably not 100% (I'm guessing/recalling).<br><br>I got to thinking about tablets stowed in a PSK. Might it be worth dipping the end of the vial in molten wax for that "extra" bit of sealing up? And instead of pulling apart some fiberglass from a scrap of batt to stuff into the vial, I was thinking about what might get the job done that would also have other potential uses. One thing that came to mind was teflon plumber's tape and/or teflon valve stem packing (kind of like a teflon twine).<br><br>I have thought of a few minor potential uses for the teflon tape and none for the teflon valve stem packing (so far). I'll have to try out the tape ideas when I get an opportunity and report back the results. Looking for comments/ideas.<br><br>Thanks in advance,<br><br>Tom

#4858 - 03/14/02 11:11 PM Re: PSK Iodine Idea/Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I remember those bottles and the wax- the wax got soft and sticky and all over everything when it got really hot.<br><br>I doubt that it would make much difference. Once upon a time I used part of one of those jars, sealed it and put it away- in a couple of year's time, even though it had been closed the whole time, the remaining tablets had "bloomed" into a fuzzy mess. Very hydroscopic.<br><br>The current commercial versions, at least Potable Aqua, don't seem to do that.. so I'm guessing that they have a very thin coating of something to make them more resistant to humidity.

#4859 - 03/14/02 11:24 PM Re: PSK Iodine Idea/Questions
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I periodically inspect, replenish or upgrade my PSK ( o.k. I play with it watching SURVIVOR.) Fingerprints can be very salt laden ( why gunshops are forever wiping down firearms with silicone cloths) and moisture is almost everywhere. I make it a habit of wiping my gear and have began collecting those little dessicant packets or cylinders for potential use. I just use the small vial Barry stocks and periodically dump my perishables early like older batteries.

#4860 - 03/15/02 06:24 AM Re: PSK Iodine Idea/Questions
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Another great idea. Do you EVER have a bad one???

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 504 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.