The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#47944 - 09/02/05 02:46 PM 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I've been put on "standby" for a 10 day deployment to New Orleans. My combination of skills as Firefighter/Firs Responders/Ham Radio Operator/Computer Geek has been noticed in some database somewhere.

If I ship out, it will be Monday. I'll let you all know what happens.

I need to buy a dozen MRE's in a hurry, dont' want to raid the family supply, can't find any around here...all sold out or not in stock...

Have some other issues to discuss w/r/t security. PM me for an offline discussion.

#47945 - 09/02/05 03:11 PM Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Good luck Martin. Be safe.

#47946 - 09/02/05 03:13 PM Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

So lets make this a general, hypothethical discussion.

Why would I be concerned about?

Your want to be careful about the water, wash frequently and keep any wouds covered. Sunscreen!

Communication is an issue, as is getting power. I'd learn & carry a 2 m ham radio, also my cell and expect it not to work.
Batteries!

Bring a gps and a map, in case you lose your group and need to walk out. ( also a bunch of plastic sheetig to catch rain water)

Life jacket and mabye a ballistic vest, Baby wipes!

MRE's? Either check with friends or raid your family supply and mail order some new ones today to replace.

TRO

#47947 - 09/02/05 06:32 PM Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed
fordwillman Offline

Loc: Arizona
Hi Martin,
Best wishes for you as you go! My wife and I are "supposed" to leave in 10 days for a two week stint feeding FEMA agents in Hattiesburg, MS. The situation is still very fluid, so not sure yet, but I want to go and help, if I can.
I am a Ham op also and plan on taking radios and a trailer of extra supplies.

#47948 - 09/02/05 07:04 PM Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed
Ron Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Right now I would think hauling MRE's to New Orleans would be like hauling wine to France.

Taking some food with you is probably a good idea, but would at least some NOT MRE food items be a better idea?

#47949 - 09/02/05 07:29 PM Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed
fordwillman Offline

Loc: Arizona
Hi Ron,
We, at least, are not taking MRE's. The food that we will be serving, will be provided by the organization. We (myself, wife and another couple) are taking a small trailer of toothepaste, wipes, toothbrushes, insect repellant, and many other small items--this is just our own personal contribution to the disaster, but a good comment.

#47950 - 09/02/05 07:50 PM Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed
Anonymous
Unregistered

Twice as much of the non-food consumables as you think you will need, or as close as you can manage.

For the MREs, I have to echo TRO- take what you have, and order more to replace it. It is a window of negative impact until the replacements get in, but I don't know if there is much option. Supliment with cans and wetpacked ham/tuna/chicken, rice (heavy, but you can treat them like MREs for the short term), and vac packed dehydrateds.

#47951 - 09/02/05 08:32 PM Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed
Anonymous
Unregistered

where can I see a nutritional values and close-up picture of an MRE? - thanks
(Newbie and crawling out of ignorance :-))

#47952 - 09/02/05 08:34 PM Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed
Ron Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Last fall when Ivan hit South Alabama, my parents were without power for 10 days. (They had a generator and enough food to have lasted for months before the storm hit. Once I found out they had made it through the storm OK, I didn't worry too much about them.)

As soon as the trees could be cut out of the roads, there were trucks in passing out MRE's and bottled water. It wasn't until the power was restored and trucks could get in that the grocery stores could reopen. While they had plenty of food, my mother ran out of bread because there was no place to get it.

What I was trying to get at is that MRE's are the standard food that gets passed out. It is the stuff you are talking about that is hard to get.

Best of luck. Take care of yourself.

From what I gather cell phone reception is bad in some areas. Last fall it was three days after the storm before I finally managed to get through to my sister, the first member of the family I could reach. Make it a point to check in with friends and family at home while you are gone when you get a chance and let everyone know you are OK. Not knowing is hard on the people outside the area, especially when most of what you see on TV is the negative sides of what is happening.

#47953 - 09/02/05 09:02 PM Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
MRE? Those are the green bags you see the Army eating out of - they are VERY high in calories, and usually have all the vitamins you need - 2 are meant to keep a soldier in combat feed for a day - for days on end

I saw something the other day about actual firefights/special forces missions - the can't keep it up for too long - you actually burn so many calories, that it's almost impossible to EAT as many as you burn
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Bingley), 534 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.