Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#47841 - 09/01/05 07:42 PM Re: Rethinking everything about B.O.B.
Ron Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Really some of the newer versions of instant mashed potatoes are not that bad. Much better than the suff I remember from the school lunch room so many years ago.

There is no end of easy to make items with good shelf life these days.

I cannot count the number of fishing trips where the classic lunch was crackers, sardines and Beanee Weanee's. I sort of like canned whole tomatoes right out of the can.

#47842 - 09/01/05 07:48 PM Re: Rethinking everything about B.O.B.
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I'm beginning to think that "Bugging out early and far" is the trick - and then, when I want to do my disaster services stuff, travel back - at least my family is out of the area

DON'T move to a flood plain

As for storing food, the long term survival folks (OK - let's use the common term - the survivalists ) will tell you "Store what you eat, eat what you store" - aka, the food is constantly turning over, so it never goes bad. Your kids like instant mashed, no problem - you put a box (or 4) in storage (sealed) - you open one, you replace it with a new one - aka, you have a well stocked pantry where stuff is stored well. Apply that kind of thinking to everything

One interesting source for ideas like this are the LDS food co-ops. They believe in having a LOT of food in storage (I believe it's 6 months min, 2 years reccomended - but don't quote me - correct me if I'm wrong)

Our parents, or grandparents generation knew about things like canning and the like - learn
And remember, you don't have to buy it all at once - that would cost a fortune - an extra package of Mashed potatoes next time they go on sale, or canned veggies, or pasta, or.... Just buy $5-10 worth of stuff a week - that's all Before long, you have a LOT of stuff
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#47843 - 09/01/05 08:05 PM Re: Rethinking everything about B.O.B.
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
I think it's worth noting too, that buying food packaged in large containers/cans isn't necessarily the best idea, unless you're prepared to repackage into smaller containers (bit of a hassle, and simply won't work with some products). And, of course, with some foodstuffs, once you've opened a [large] container, you're forced to consume the contents in short order, or refrigerate, the chances of which would be slim in a disaster.

As has been mentioned, look to backpacking-related resources for worthwhile food-related guidance. After all, backpacking is a form of "bugging out," just with everything on your back.

#47844 - 09/01/05 08:29 PM Re: Rethinking everything about B.O.B.
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
> new, improved food pantry

So you are planning to shelter in place, rather than bug out? For the current situation that would be the wrong choice.

> I know it will take up more room

In my experience ease of use is more important than bulk. But large pre-packed multi-packs are often easier.

> being lazy and "just using something and put it back later".

Buy what you eat and eat what you buy. The second part of that means you should be continually taking stuff from your store (and replacing it). That is why ease of use, and access, is so important. Every time I go to the supermarket, the stuff I buy goes to the bottom of the stack. I consume stuff off the top. So each week I am shuffling tins around.

> I want to eat as much normal food as possible.

Good - that's the first part - "buy what you eat". Comfort foods are good for morale. Morale is important for survival.

> individual water bottles for drinking and I also thought about putting some of them in boxes
> with foods that would require them for cooking

I don't know about that. I keep water separately and I'll decide at the time whether to use it for cooking or drinking. A lot will depend on circumstance; eg whether I've had a chance to fill the bath up before the mains supply gets compromised.

#47845 - 09/01/05 08:40 PM Re: Rethinking everything about B.O.B.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can put a lot of really tasty and wholesome food in two cubic foot steel box, especially now with packaging inovations. Here's my 'recipe':

- Flexible packages of tuna, salmon, and chicken
- Instant rice, dried beans, dried peas & other legumes like lentils
- boullion in many flavors
- lots and lot of seasonings
- instant potatoes
- dried and partially dried fruits & vegetables [but you have to rotate them scrupulously] Things like sun dreid tomatoes can make all the difference in an otherwiswe boring dish
- carefully selected canned foods, picked for density and intensity, for example anchovies, sardines and other meats.
- so-called gourmet foods, like tomatoe paste and anchovie paste in tubes, oil packed black olives, preserved ginger, lots and lots of peppers, just by way of example
- loose tea, coffee [natch], other beverage mixes
- sugar, lots [the stuff put up in milk cartons stores really well]
- frying oil and olive oil
- vinegar
- powdered milk, for cooking only
- packaged sauce mixes

Thinks like jars of mayo keep, you just have to consume them or have low ambient temperatures or they will spoil.

All of the above are dense. There is little air in them, and the ingredients with water are pretty concentrated. In a seperate container keep the bulky and air filled options: crackers & wafers, motzas, that sort of thing. Potatoes and onions keep well, just rotate stocks.

For example, I can make a beautiful salade nicoise with nothing fresh, just tuna, anchovies, oil, sun dried tomatoes, olives. You can do a great chicken salad, as well. Soups and gravies on flavored rice or beans are a cinch. Throw in a few fresh ingredients, and there is no reason that you can't live well under adverse conditions, for quite some time.

In days gone by, I have eaten for days at a time out of my truck box and an Igloo water cooler, and liked it. I think that in a long term-survival situation communal rituals like meals are essential for morale. There will be more than enough suffering going around without eating beans for weeks at a time.

Let the flames begin.

#47846 - 09/01/05 08:42 PM Re: Rethinking everything about B.O.B.
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A contrarian view -- I'd carry less water, and add several ways to purify water.

TRO

(And keep a large supply at home --20-50 liters -- for shelter in place)

#47847 - 09/01/05 08:46 PM cooking caution
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Remember to put a little note in with your stove --DO NOT USE INSIDE -- Cooking releases Deadly Carbon Monoxide --Use only out side

tro

#47848 - 09/01/05 11:39 PM Re: Rethinking everything about B.O.B.
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Single use condiment packs of peanut butter, mayo, ketchup, mustard, honey, jelly, coffee, tea, dry creamers, sugar, salt pepper, green relish, onions, cream cheese, crackers, butter, etc come in real handy....
visit connivance stores and fast food places and stock up.
Small containers of spices help

#47849 - 09/01/05 11:42 PM Re: Rethinking everything about B.O.B.
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
look at the one and 5 gal water storage bags on ebay........ The valve openings are large enough for grains and such. You can store several bags in a bucket or metal box

#47850 - 09/02/05 03:30 AM Re: Rethinking everything about B.O.B.
fugitive Offline

Loc: The Great Pacific Northwest

Good advice,

I would also like to add, be careful about long term storage of acidic foods, like salsa, spaghetti sauce, and certain fruits. It can and will eat through the can. Usually just a pin hole, but enough to taint the contents. Also, be careful of long term storage of fats, oils, or food that contains these ingredients. Some of these items are prone to going rancid. The big surprise to me was ramen noodles. I used to buy it by the case and use occasionally. Sometimes within 6 months the taste was a little off. Longer than that and it can get kinda nasty.

I buy in quantity on sale or at Costco. I do this to save money and to provide a suitable stash for family emergencies.

Buy in quantity. Do not buy more than you will realistically eat before items go bad. Date all items before putting in the pantry. Eat before it goes bad. Rotate your stock. Always eat the oldest dates first. Toss any food that is in bulged cans or has an odd odor.

Good luck, TR

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.