Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#4784 - 04/07/02 11:56 PM Re: It's a guy thing: survival guns - field tests
Anonymous
Unregistered

I imagine your customized parka might have made you more attractive (and potentially tasty) to any polar bear still lingering around.

#4785 - 04/08/02 07:02 AM Re: It's a guy thing: survival guns - field tests
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
kayak,<br><br>Thanks. I'm glad someone appreciates my occasionally wry sense of humor. <br><br>It sounds like you have a versatile gun. What kind of sights do you have on it? The Gun Digest (2002) indicates bbl. lengths of 24" or 26" are available. What is yours? How are the dimensions & recoil on your gun?<br><br>We have some Savage 24s, mostly .22L.R.s, but one .22 WMR, all over 20ga. shotgun barrels. We have successfully used the Williams aperture rear sights which clamp onto the tip-off grooves for scopes. They are a significant improvement over the factory std. open sights. Generally a scope would be helpful for rifle shooting, but difficult to use in wingshooting. Conceivably one of the low/no power variables could be used, e.g., 1X4, 1.5x5 or 6. However they necessarily add weight, bulk, & vulnerability. I doubt they could be used in tip-off mounts & the guns do not seem to have a good site for screw on mounts. The aperture sight does not significantly inferfere with wingshooting. In fact it is less of an impediment to shotgunning than the open sights.<br><br>I have successfully used the aperture sighted 24s in shooting trap, skeet, & rifled slugs. The clamped on sight has not loosened or moved under the recoil of the shotgun. So far all of my shooting of rifled slugs has been in one gun. All of these older model 24s have full chokes except for the Camper model which I believe has a cylinder choke. Windage matches the .22lr sight setting, but the slugs shoot over 1' low at 25 yds. I have heretofore used only W W & Fed slugs. Maybe RP or others will work better. Recoil has seemed mild except with the slugs where it is more significant (fired from a bench rest).<br><br>Thanks for the personal evaluation on adapters. I haven't tried any yet. One intriguing possibility is the .30-30 adapter for the 20 ga. bbl.<br><br>By the way, the April-May, 2002 issue of Rifle's HANDLOADER magazine contains an illuminating (favorable) evaluation of shotgun inserts by Ross Seyfried. The same issue contains a history of the S & W K-22. That is an issue to get! The article notes that subcaliber inserts for rifles were covered in the May 2001 issue of the RIFLE magazine. Unfortunately I don't remember the contents & haven't found that issue. <br><br>I am looking forward to reading your next report.<br><br>John

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 549 Guests and 113 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.