Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#4656 - 04/17/02 02:28 PM Re: Survival Tins
Anonymous
Unregistered

HUH? wasp nest makes good tinder? Hmmm... I use it for the exact opposite reason to load shot in a flinter, ad the nest does not ember like cotton patches do... Hmmm....<br><br>Yup I have a copy of a 2 finger steel. they existed..... I have a 2 fisted kitchen stell too... the rest are slight 4 finger steels...<br><br>Braddocks Road in Md? it is said he buried under the road there..... no marker, as the body was hidden.... perhaps not in Md at all... One can never tell with the way records were kept...... My Grande Mother was born in Novia Scotia and the townhall burned to th ground..... So she lied about her age and no one could prove, tell, figure out how old she was...<br><br>I will have to test the wasp nest.... Hair works great if you can stand the stink..... but in a true mess I could.... I seem to have gobs of hair to spare still at 50.... Mac

#4657 - 04/17/02 02:55 PM Re: Survival Tins
Anonymous
Unregistered

Haven't tried wasp's nest for wadding, so I can't say... maybe different wasps? The one I have doesn't catch all that easily- not like dry leaves- but once it catches it burns hot even when it's damp. Sort of like the birchbark, but easier to start.<br><br>Braddock died in Pennsylvania, not far from the current Old National Highway. He was shot, of course, about 9 miles out from Duquesne- now Pittsburgh. I too, have read in books that his grave was never found, but that's apparently nonsense.. they did find his gravesite, based on eyewitnesses to the burial, dug him up and moved him, I think sometime in the 19th Century, so the new grave is right off the highway... it's a ridiculous monument, with, of all things, the Seal of the United States on it. There's a path through the woods behind it that leads to his original gravesite, not far back but in the woods and near the banks of a stream, a much nicer spot. It's only a mile or so from Fort Necessity, and if you're in the area you should take in Ft. Ligonier and Duquesne/Pitt ("The Point", they call it in Pittsburgh) as well. I have done the trip several times. A few decades ago you could have also seen the grave of Tom Fawcett, who shot Braddock, but it's gone now- development.<br>

#4658 - 04/17/02 04:09 PM Re: Survival Tins
Anonymous
Unregistered

Prolly time to take this to around the camp fire thread....<br><br>Since Va and Penna have Md in the middle... if you look at your maps and then a Md and find Fredrickstown, and Middletown where state 40 and 17 intersect, head back to fredrick town a little there on the side of the road on a steep hill, you will yet find another monument for Braddock whom it is said is buried under the road. LoL Daniel Boon was born inPa, Tn, and Caintuckaway as well...... Please don't take this as I do not think you are correct...you may very well be. But whats a fact can get mixed up..... Just like you said a bout the USA logo for a Brit... Go figure......... Mac

#4659 - 04/17/02 04:21 PM Re: Survival Tins
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wish I knew how to move a thread... or part of it. Maybe we should take this one to private messages- we're pretty far afield of survival at this point.<br><br>As for Braddock's grave... my monument is bigger than your monument. :-)<br><br>Seriously, wasn't there, don't know for sure. There certainly seems to be no doubt to the folks in Pennsylvania. If I remember correctly, Braddock died on the third day after he was shot. Since he was effectively shot in Pittsburgh, and was carried back in a wagon, I would find it surprising that they made it as far South as MD in that time. Would love to see the site, though, and will look for it.<br><br>I know Middletown- spent many a pleasant evening in the Old South Mountain Inn or at Hagan's Tavern. Do you know Billy Ware?

#4660 - 04/17/02 07:08 PM Braddock's grave
Anonymous
Unregistered

Look low on the page select "Around the Camp Fire" when the screen changes see "Braddock's grave" {sorry Chris} Mac

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 540 Guests and 97 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.