The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#46350 - 08/16/05 12:25 PM Re: Building an Urban Survival Kit, advice request
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Well since I had to go thru various types HAZMAT training thought by different agencies question of personal equipment was always a touchy one.

They all agreed on tossing away the bags, clothes and "junk". Weapons (knives), multi tools, lighters were always a no no as well. Electronics were also disposed of. And this is where it got tricky. Some instructors told us that it is ok to leave somebody with their wedding band or a chain (religious or sentimental) or a watch. Others told us that it has to be taken of and deposited in a ziploc bag for further decon (with your name on top). Some instructors allowed wallets to be deposited into that Ziploc bag as well. Others only a content and some even stated that drivers license is the only thing allowed inside. Why this is a gray area and so many different opinions? Just because nobody every did it. All of the mass casualty incidents involving decon are written on paper and when NBC attack happens that’s the first time it will be implemented.

My friend who got decontaminated in NJ following 911 lost everything but his wallet, wedding band and a cell phone (?). But than again there was a lot of improvisation happening that day.

Army once stated that they can decon 50 people in 60 minutes... NYC EMS can decon one person every 4 minutes. Army never calculated in "the human nature factor" since their experiments were done on enlisted men who followed orders.

Decon possibility is what made me stop bringing expensive knife to work.

#46351 - 08/16/05 02:07 PM Re: Building an Urban Survival Kit, advice requested
Dan Offline
Stranger

Loc: New York City
Wow,
Thanks for the great response everyone! Lots of great advice! A long post is in the works and will follow, but for now a few of the changes I have made include:

1.I.C.E is now in my cell phone
2.I have purchused two large door stops
3.Paper Clips have been exchange for more Saftey Pins (various sizes)
4.Twisty-Ties have been exchanged for mini Cable Ties
5.Window Punch has been nixed (maybe later I'll add to keychain)
6.MRE has been nixed for weight savings
7.A Fox 40 will replace my old metal whistle on keychain (in addition to the Storm).
8.A Wave will replace my Swiss Champ and Pliers
9.Fire Proof Gloves sound like a great idea, but kinda expensive...
10.Chem Light Holder has been nixed
11.Tissues added
12.MPB (maxpedition) will be purchased and this should greatly help with organization
14.Hammer has been nixed
15.Bug spray nixed
16.Suntan lotion nixed
17.Pry bar will stay, think I will buy a titanium version for weight savings.
18.NATO Matches will replace current Matches
19.Exacto knife nixed
20.Lexan spoon will be added

#46352 - 08/16/05 04:49 PM Re: Building an Urban Survival Kit, advice request
reconcowboy Offline

Loc: Ohio
Thank you.

#46353 - 08/16/05 05:26 PM Re: Building an Urban Survival Kit, advice request
7k7k99 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
If you don't want to make one yourself, these are a little more convenient -- they have them for #1 and #2

http://www.magellans.com/store/Health___SanitationTW568?Args=

#46354 - 08/16/05 11:56 PM Re: Building an Urban Survival Kit, advice request
Pete_Kenney Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sylvania, OH
Here’s another piddle pack--

In reading through the contents of Brent Blue’s Emergency Medical Kit (
http://www.aeromedix.com/aeromedix/art/medkit ) he lists:
Urine/puke bag—The #1 TravelJohn is the best of the products we have tested. The internal polymer absorbent material gels any liquid, making it spill-proof, and neutralizes odor. These cannot be used for water storage or transport because it cannot be recovered from the gel. Can be used for ice or cool packs when placed in a freezer or filled with cold water. … The mouth of the #1TJ bag is a semi-rigid "unisex adapter" shaped to make the device suitable for use by females as well as males.

On Aeromedix’ front page, both ProSurvival’s and Doug’s survival kits are for sale.

#46355 - 08/17/05 01:31 AM Re: Building an Urban Survival Kit, advice requested
widget Offline
Addict

Good deal Dan! Just think about the items YOU are likely to need and why. Where you live and work makes all the difference! Myself, I feel I need much less and I carry much less than you. There were some great ideas came out of this discussion and I bet it helps a lot of people evaluate their needs! Cheers!

#46356 - 08/17/05 03:29 AM Re: Building an Urban Survival Kit, advice requested
jaron3 Offline
Stranger

I'm not sure if anyone has said this or not but I almost always carry my Glock in inner city areas. Especially in an urban survival situation your USK won't be worth chit if someone takes it from you or tries to take your wife.

#46357 - 08/17/05 05:47 AM Re: Building an Urban Survival Kit, advice request
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
9.Fire Proof Gloves sound like a great idea, but kinda expensive...

I don't know if anyone else has come at it from this angle, but you might check out these Ansell ArmorKnit (Kevlar) Gloves. Kevlar knit gloves at about $10 a pair. It appears in addition to being cut resistant, Kevlar also has a very high melting point. Keep in mind these gloves are not super thick, but it does seem like they would help a little bit. After all, if a fire, I'm not likely going to be hanging around seeing how long I can hold my hand in a fire! :-)

You might also consider using these as a liner under a good pair of (unlined) leather gloves.

In fact, just a decent pair of unlined leather gloves is probably going to give you a pretty good advantage in a fire. I say unlined because most linings are going to melt. An exception to that would be wool lined gloves if you can find them.

I've kinda went off the deep end and have a pair of the Kevlar knit gloves and a pair of Turtleskin Full Coverage gloves for my kit to use in a layered fashion. The Turtleskin gloves are basically Kevlar as well, but knit so tightly they reist needle punctures.

The downside of the Turtleskin gloves are that they are thin (they provide no padding), so I figured the knit gloves + the Turtleskin gloves would be good protection, fire resistant very abrasive, cut and puncture resistaint and provide a bit of padding. They are also very light which is good for my kit. The only real downside I can think of is the time needed to put on two layers instead of one.

If you want more options here, Lab Safety Supply also has more temperature resistant gloves options, some of them are reasonably priced. You might find something that you like.

Quote:
20.Lexan spoon will be added

If you are interested in upgrading, you might check out this titanium flatware. I've been eyeing the "childs" spoon and fork, and even with two "normal" utensils, the weight is still very low. Plus they probably would take a fair amount of abuse.

-john

Edited by JohnN (08/17/05 06:02 AM)

#46358 - 08/17/05 05:51 AM Re: Building an Urban Survival Kit, advice request
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Decon possibility is what made me stop bringing expensive knife to work.

From my perspective, if I ever have to go through a decon, the price of replacing my knife won't be high on my list of worries. :-)

-john

#46359 - 08/17/05 01:14 PM Re: Building an Urban Survival Kit, advice requested
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
In NYC it is highly advisable not to carry a firearm. Not to mention illegal.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 530 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.