Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#4556 - 03/01/02 08:15 PM Fire Extinguishers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I live in a 600 sqft studio apartment it is already equipped with sprinklers.<br><br>I have nothing unusual in the apt other than ammunition and cleaning chemicals. I have a Kidde ABC rated fire extingusher (whatever that means) but it's 6 years old, the safety ring is broken and I haven't used it but the meter says it's still fully charged.<br><br>I want to get another one just in case. What should I look for in a good home-use fire extinguisher?<br><br>And is one necessary for the car if I am not a race car driver?

#4557 - 03/01/02 08:55 PM Re: Fire Extinguishers
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I think that everyone should have a good extinguisher in both the home and vehicle. You might not be a race driver, but engine fires can start for almost no reason, and you might come upon a crash where you could help put out a fire and possibly save a life. <br><br>Using a dry chemical extinguisher is a messy deal, for your home you might want to think Halon. Just for info, in the home plain old baking soda can work well for the most common fire, the greas fire on the stove. <br><br>Check this url for more info on extinguishers than you ever wanted to know. Oh yes, I'll bet that your old extinguisher is shot. Check places like Costco for an affordable replacement...<br><br>http://www.hanford.gov/fire/safety/extingrs.htm

#4558 - 03/03/02 04:51 PM Re: Fire Extinguishers
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A= trash,wood,paper B. =liquids and grease C. =electrical remember to always direct your spray at the BASE of the flame. Fire Extinquishers are also very effective at breaking out windows and repelling aggressive animals.

#4559 - 03/04/02 03:07 AM Re: Fire Extinguishers
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
1 or 2 lb ABC extinguishers are fine for kitchen use or for next to the fireplace. A 2 lb extringuisher for a vehicle is the bare minimum though because auto fires require a lot more extinguishing power. A 5 or even a 10 lb extinguisher would be necessary because the intense heat, wind and amount of flammable material. Unfortunately the larger extinguishers are only suitable for those who have enough storage space. That said, I do have a 2lb in my trunk (to be upgraded to a 5 lb and the light weight one will go in the kitchen.) My apartment already has a 10 lb in the each of the hallways.<br><br>Halon is not the best home extinguisher because the gas needs to be in an enclosed area and it is harmful to humans and therefore especially bad for young children not to mention the user(probably you). Extinguishers can be examined and recharged for you locally. A new saftey ring is handy because it can warn you if someone has tampered with it.

#4560 - 03/04/02 05:36 PM Re: Fire Extinguishers
Anonymous
Unregistered

One other tip: Choose metal extinguishers over plastic. If you need to get them refilled they are more likely to keep a charge and not leak.<br><br><br>Chris

#4561 - 03/04/02 08:34 PM Re: Fire Extinguishers
uw89 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Good for you checking into this important topic. You've received sound advice sofar, and I just wanted to add a couple of comments. The multipurpose ABC is the only type you need for your home or car unless you have reactive metals such as magnesium. Don't go any smaller than the 2-1/2 pounder. The manufacturers sell little ones for the kitchen and car that are too small. A 5lb model will serve you better. Your typical "store bought" metal shell Dry Chemical extinguisher is good for 12 years after which time you need to have it hydrostatically tested (often cheaper to buy a new one). <br>Keep in mind the acronym PASS (Pull- the pin, Aim- at the base of the fire, Squeeze, Sweep). Like anything, you should be familiar with how to use it, before the emergency arises. Keep one in your car for the poor guy (it could be you) who has an engine fire along the side of the road. Each month, make sure to turn it upside down several times to keep the powder from caking to the bottom. This is very important for your car extinguisher that will want to settle and compact due to vibration. I just used some velcro tape to attach it to the trunk wheel well.

#4562 - 03/04/02 08:56 PM Re: Fire Extinguishers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great advice. Thank you all.<br><br>What is Halon, and why is it better for fires and worse for humans? Is recharging better (or only cheaper) than buying a new one?<br><br>Will probably pick some up after work today.<br><br>So:<br>1. At least 5 lbs.<br>2. ABC<br>3. Metal, not plastic<br>4. Dry chemical (?)<br><br>What else, any good brands, or are they all built equally?

#4563 - 03/04/02 11:04 PM Re: Fire Extinguishers
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Halon 1211and 1301are a type of refrigerant, one of the nasty ones that has been banned. It is still available and it is still cheaper that the current halon alternatives (fe-36). What is good about halon it comes out of the extinguisher as a gas and leaves no residue behind, that means that there is no powder to clean off. If you ever spray a standard ABC powder on aluminum wash it off quickly as it will corrode it. For a more complete explanation of how halon and fe-36 work go to http://www.dupont.com/fire/

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 267 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.