#4504 - 02/27/02 06:14 PM Re: PalmPilot Survival manual
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Which glove case?<br><br>Thanks.

#4505 - 02/27/02 06:44 PM Re: PalmPilot Survival manual
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree- I’ve been carrying various models for years now, and the “daily survival” value just keeps increasing over time- it’s like having an entire filing cabinet of your personally-chosen information with you wherever you go. Never had a catastrophic failure, but even if I did, the information exists on 3-4 machines at any given time (the Palm itself, work PC, home PC, network backup to home PC), so the failure of one does not mean information loss, just hardware- as such, it’s more secure than even paper. I use it constantly, and I regard my mobile phone as perhaps one-tenth as useful without it. The amount of information that no longer slips through my fingers has increased tenfold, my effectiveness at work is similarly increased, as is the information I’m likely to have on-hand in an emergency. The information it contains has kept “situations” from becoming “emergencies” more times than I can remember.<br><br>As I’ve changed models over the years, it’s capacity keeps getting greater and greater, and it keeps getting smaller and lighter. I used to carry a Daytimer, and, even with just 4 months of information, it was getting huge. I would love a “ruggedized” version, if it was still small and light enough, but in the meantime, I’ll take what I can get. Except for running, I never exit the front door without it, including hiking and bicycling.<br><br>Many who don’t use one say they don’t miss it, and I’m sure that’s right… you don’t miss increased capability you’ve never had. Those who use it until it reaches “critical mass” don’t go back.<br><br>Any information that increases it’s survival value is very welcome. Suggestions as to what to carry “instead” are not useful, as carrying Palm is not negotiable with me. Anything else is “in addition”, and hard to justify if it can be in the Palm itself, for zero additional weight and bulk.<br>

#4506 - 02/27/02 06:57 PM Re: PalmPilot Survival manual
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Boy, I have to agree with everything you said! I carry an M500 - tiny - (also used to use a DayTimer) and haven't looked back - it has become indispensable.<br><br>I don't need the info on it for "survival". I do carry it with me on outings - I switch to a padded leather wallet and carry it in a cargo pocket. No problems so far - and if it gets ruined, I'll just have it fixed or buy a new one. Like you, my data exists in multiple (backed up) locations.<br><br>I think there is an Otter box for these now, but I haven't seen one. It's probably bulky, but that may offer the most bombproof way to carry a Palm device on outings. Anyone seen one?<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Scouter Tom<br><br>

#4507 - 02/27/02 07:09 PM Re: PalmPilot Survival manual
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
Just wanted to agree about how handy the Palm can be. I use an M100, which has a plastic screen, rather than glass. So I guess that's a tad more rugged.<br><br>You sacrifice connectivity (no built-modem) but that's not a big deal when I'm hiking. I have my cell phone for emergency connections to my backup crew.<br><br>I like the Palm beacuse it's an e-book, reference library, and card deck all in one. I usually download a bunch of interesting reading material from the web before I go into the forest.<br><br>It's not an essential, but it sure is nice to have on rainy days.<br><br>Bear<br>

#4508 - 02/27/02 07:31 PM Re: PalmPilot Survival manual
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I have a Palm Vx and I have two ways to protect it. My normal mode is a small leather case that zips up. But when I go camping, I slid it into an annodized aluminum hardshell clam case. I then stick that into a nylon camera case that threads onto your belt. The case is about twice as thick as the Palm, but it works.<br><br>But it is not waterproof. I've seen ads for waterproof cases, but they're pricy and inconvenient.<br><br>The PDA format is growing quickly. I remember earlier this year when we got some new Scout in our troop and their fathers joined as leaders. After about five minutes of introductions, several of them whipped out theitr Palms and started emailing their "business cards" back-and-forth. We've even beamed misc. data to each other during campouts. It's an interesting sight to see a group of leaders standing around in a circle pointing their PDAs at each other. :-)

#4509 - 02/27/02 07:38 PM Re: PalmPilot Survival manual
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm sure there are better ones out there, but I use the standard Palm hard case and it has been great in terms of avoiding breakage. It's extremely snug, but there is room for a credit-card sized mirror or magnifier behind the Palm. <br><br>I've got the belt-clip pouch as well, which can actually fit the hard case, but I tend to prefer the hard case alone in-pocket. The ultimate would be a waterproof hard case with a bit of room for other items while still being quick and easy to open up and use.<br><br>Perhaps it would be worthwhile, with so many Palm carriers here, to figure out the ultimate way to combine a carrying case with a PSK...

#4510 - 02/27/02 08:21 PM Re: PalmPilot Survival manual
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've had a bunch of cases up through my Palm 3xe, all those models were about the same size. I had a waterproof see-through/work-through case with a belt clip I used for sailing, it was by "Aquapak", but I think they quit making it- you see the same sort of thing for cell phones. There is one of the Otter boxes that's a very good fit up through the 3 series (coincidence, I think), bombproof, a bit bulky, no belt clip- but I went through the edges of hurricane Fran in a tent with it, and was very glad I had it along. Bought both the Otter and Aquapak from www.cases4less.com, which has very good prices on Pelican as well.<br><br>My all-around favorite was a Devian leather case that rode horizontally on the belt.<br><br>>>Perhaps it would be worthwhile, with so many Palm carriers here, to figure out the ultimate way to combine a carrying case with a PSK... <<<br><br>Hmm... the Devian case mentioned above has space on it's belt loop below the belt (horizontal carry), so I have been known to carry a small lockblade clipped there, behind the case- usually a CRKT Sampson's KISS (the larger kind). Out of sight, but very accessible. It's a start...<br><br>

#4511 - 02/27/02 11:21 PM Re: PalmPilot Survival manual
Anonymous
Unregistered

don't get me wrong the palm glove is not water proof but it gave enough protection for me to rescue the palm. The little water that penetrated was easily mopped out with a tissue causing no harm. Now if it rains it gets transfered into a stuff sack which has taped seams, rolls up and has secure velcro fasteners and it is still in the Palm Glove. go here http://www.cix.co.uk/~freedom/palm/hardware.htm for a picture of the palm glove (scroll down the page).<br><br>Clive<br>

#4512 - 02/27/02 11:22 PM Re: PalmPilot Survival manual
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
I knew I'd seen this someplace: PDA Armor by Otter<br><br>Bomb around the various links. Most PDA models are covered from what I could see. Anyone use one of these?<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Scouter Tom

#4513 - 02/27/02 11:26 PM Re: PalmPilot Survival manual
Anonymous
Unregistered

I looked on my hard disk and I have a pdf version of the manual - I have no idea where I got it from but a search on Google should find it.<br>Then go to Adobe and down load the Acrobat Reader for Palm OS and convert it across. It makes a palm file of about 940k but I store it on compact flash until I want it.<br>(I could email you the file in Palm PDF if you cannot find the file on the web.)<br><br>Clive

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 552 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.