Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#4484 - 02/27/02 02:04 PM Re: What's your all-time favourite outdoor boot?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Historically, my favorite is Peter Limmer. Bought in the 60, custom made for my feet, and worked beautifully for many years,<br><br>For what you can get right now - Vasque Sundowners. They fit me well, and are extremely versatile from sea level to Sierra snow. What works for you is the boot that fits your feet best, and that is as light as possible for the trips you make. Don't worry about Gore-tex one way or another - fit is everything.

#4485 - 02/27/02 03:08 PM Re: What's your all-time favourite outdoor boot?
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
Dropout: The Otomix boots I wear aren't leather at all. They're a cloth boot. The cloth is thin except around the ankle, where it's padded a bit. There's very little arch. The sole is a thin layer of very durable rubber.<br><br>Think of a moccassin made from modern synthetic materials and you'll have a close picture.<br><br>http://store.yahoo.com/otomix/stingrayboot.html<br><br>Bear

#4486 - 02/27/02 03:53 PM Re: What's your all-time favourite outdoor boot?
NAro Offline
Addict

Dropout: Things which "go without saying" often trigger the most lively discussions here! <br>I don't think it goes without saying that you should wear cotton sock next to your skin....or ANYWHERE. I like the polypro. liners, silk liners, or even SmartWool. Personally don't like any cotton clothing in outdoor/survival situations.<br><br>How about some other opinions?

#4487 - 02/27/02 04:21 PM Re: What's your all-time favourite outdoor boot?
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
Cotton Kills.

#4488 - 02/27/02 05:18 PM Re: What's your all-time favourite outdoor boot?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wear a pair of merrills that I got about 8 years ago. They are Gortex lined and nylon outer with some leather on stress points. 3/4 steel shank waffle tread with a low heel. I haven't done much extreme cold with them but with smart wool they have been fine to 0 degrees F. The Goretex has maintained waterproofness through all I have subjected them to. The upper is showing some seperation from the sole at this point but that should be remedied with some shoe-gue.<br><br>Perhaps it is because you wear cotton socks that you feel it necessary to change your socks several times a day. I find a thin wool sock or wool/nylon sock for summer travel very comfortable in the appalachian White Mountains durring summer. I actually wear knee-high wool/nylon dress socks in summer. I like the Smart Wool for winter. I don't find it necessary to carry more than two pair of socks so that I can alternate on alternate days. <br><br>Of course I do carry three or four pairs and usually only use two. The extra are for redundancy. Socks wear out and waterproof boots are only waterproof in water shallower than the boot is tall.

#4489 - 02/27/02 06:13 PM Re: What's your all-time favourite outdoor boot?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think I speak for any human who's feet perspire, cotton is best for summer, especially when the boot itself doesn't perspire well, i.e. goretex lined. The last thing you want is for wetness to build up on the boot lining. Go for cotton under wool, change the cotton twice a day, the wool once every 2 days.

#4490 - 02/27/02 06:26 PM Re: What's your all-time favourite outdoor boot?
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the summer your feet will actually perspire more if you wear anything other than cotton next to your skin, especially polypro. Cotton when it soaks cools the foot, reducing the rate of perspiration. The foot only perspires coz it's warm, so cool it down the simplest way. The other point I'd like to make is having a pair of thin cottons under wools or any other thick sock is the damp cotton acts like a 2nd skin, moving with the foot, reducing the chance of blisters more than from any other technique. No sock sticks to the foot better than wet cotton. Of course, you understand I'm referring to warm weather. In the winter the rules change, that's where the polypro comes in.

#4491 - 03/04/02 12:01 AM Re: What's your all-time favourite outdoor boot?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I Leurve Gore-Tex lined boots, wouldn't be without them...<br>But, here's a tip... Don't polish them. Use a little liquid wax or mink oil, not the kiwi... This allows the membrane to breathe as it should.<br><br>For those that are "in", no... it wont wash with the RSM.<br>

#4492 - 03/04/02 02:06 AM Re: What's your all-time favourite outdoor boot?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't do a great deal of summer hiking, but fall and spring I use my 2nd pair of limmers, as the limmers i bought in 76 are just good for working now (to many rebuilds) In winter I use Koflach Vertical.<br>I never had gortex boots but i suspect your feet get wet anyway.....<br> I wear silk/poly blend socks year round with smartwool hiking socks. I just don't care for cotton and don't own any

#4493 - 03/06/02 06:11 AM Re: What's your all-time favourite outdoor boot?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Selous vellies from the Courteney Boot Company in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. Crazy expensive, built like tanks, made from super tough (legally harvested) game hide, incredibly comfortable, and they are also a nice family run business. I have five pairs in all, all made from cape buffalo. One pair is more than seven years old, and I expect to get at least seven more years out of them before they will need new soles. <br><br>In the US, they are available from Westly Richards, and I think they also have distributors in the UK and Australia. If you feel adventurous they are considerably cheaper if you order them directly from Courteney in Bulawayo, but try to organize a safe way to get payment to them as the Zimbabwe postal service isn't what could be called the full shilling.<br><br>As far as socks go, I get whatever looks like a good deal at REI. A nice thing about the Courteneys (and other veldshoen) is that they are quite comfortable worn without socks (if it is warm enough). <br><br>I have no connection with The Courteney Boot Company, other than being a very happy customer for 7 plus years.<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Gary.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 522 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.