Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#44274 - 07/18/05 01:43 PM What's on your head? What's in your hat?
MichaelJ Offline

Hi All,
I received a Tilley Hemp Hat for Father’s Day. I had an older Tilley years ago that I wore to everywhere until it was lost in a tragic sailing accident. I used to keep a $20 folded up and forced into the band and then when I’d travel I’d keep some more money, maybe a travelers check and a copy of my passport, contact numbers, ticket information and any thing else that wouldn’t make it obvious that there was something in my hat. I’ve used a military type jungle hat (no pockets or adequate folds) between Tilleys and I tried to safety-pin a $20 to the inside, but after getting stabbed in the head a few I gave that up. What do you have for headgear? What, if anything, do you keep in it? What are some items that would make sense to carry in a hat?

#44275 - 07/18/05 03:14 PM Re: What's on your head? What's in your hat?
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I wear a waxed cotton hat or a barret. I decided not to put any important stuff in there. The items would have to be small soft and resistant against sweat. Sweat, tallow and hair would stick to the stuff. This would require frequent cleaning or be very unhygenic. It´s just not worth the hassle.
Just in case you wonder: Yes Itried it and was less than satisfied before I made this decision.

#44276 - 07/18/05 03:30 PM Re: What's on your head? What's in your hat?
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
I'm a pretty simple person when it comes to my hats. I either wear a baseball cap with that nasty little button on top removed or a simple boonie cap. A couple of my older boonie caps had a map pocket sewn into the top, but I rarely carry anything up there (especially in the summer). I've carried a bandana up there before and a cloth (or silk) map fits well but a papermap is typically too bulky and just gets soaked with sweat.

If anyone knows where cloth maps can be found for the southwest...

#44277 - 07/18/05 04:05 PM Re: What's on your head? What's in your hat?
ChristinaRodriguez Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
I haven't explored the option of carrying stuff in a hat. I usually wear my dad's old BDU cap or a bandanna. I'm not really a hat person.

While perusing a Hammacher-Schlemmer catalog, I found this item that might be of interest to hat-wearing individuals on this forum:
Adventure Hat

#44278 - 07/18/05 06:36 PM Re: What's on your head? What's in your hat?
SheepDog Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wild Wonderful WV
What might be missed is that the Tilley hats have a pocket in them made to hold small amounts of money or paper work etc. I have a small zip lock bag in mine that can hold important numbers or money no problem. There is also a piece of closed cell foam in the top of the hat to keep it floating should you drop it over board. I have put a double thick piece of foam in mine to give me more protection from the sun or knocks to the head. This also helps it float better and keep its shape when wet. The Tilley’s are good gear and I would not want to be with out mine.

#44279 - 07/18/05 08:51 PM Re: What's on your head? What's in your hat?
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I keep a $20, and $5 bill in mine in the plastic bag with the Tilley sheets and a tiny wood block with firesteel. This along with the spare lace and foam piece are all that I keep in my hat. The firesteel on wood I took off another hat that used it as a chin strap slider. It could be laced on the Tilley too, but I have found it easier to just keep it in the plastic bag inside the crown. I have both a T3 and T4...The T4 is a great hat. I also have a 4 lace band I braided on mine.

#44280 - 07/18/05 09:59 PM Re: What's on your head? What's in your hat?
pteron Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
I have a Silly Unbearable (as my Canadian wife calls it) and wouldn't be without it. It is a T5 and has a 20 Euro note in the pocket.

It has been 'hat overboard' countless times but thankfully, always recovered. My crew is fairly practiced in grabbing it now.

I shall have to pop in and see the latest lightweight range when I'm in Toronto in August.

#44281 - 07/18/05 11:45 PM Re: What's on your head? What's in your hat?
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
What's in my hat ? nothing !

But around it, I have a few feet of paracord (see Slatt's rescue belt ) :

#44282 - 07/19/05 04:39 AM Re: What's on your head? What's in your hat?
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Either a baseball cap or if I'm going to be out in the sun long either a full brim hardhat or a boonie style hat I got @ the top of Pike's Peak. I haven't tried to put anything in it (yet).

#44283 - 07/19/05 05:54 AM Re: What's on your head? What's in your hat?
fordwillman Offline

Loc: Arizona
I use a Barmah Cooler hat here in AZ. It has a wide brim is crushable and very ventilated for the "dry heat" of Arizona. Love it, but have not put anything in it yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 546 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.