Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#4390 - 02/23/02 12:27 AM BOBs?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd be interested in the scenarios being considered by members of this forum that would require leaving the comfort of home as a survival predicate. Examples that I consider preparing for are mostly those listed at FEMA:<br><br>Winter Storm with structural damage to home<br><br>Hurricane<br><br>Flood<br><br>Earthquake (though in my case I live in NH and we don't experience these too often)<br><br>Nearby industrial accident - chemical spill etc<br><br>Power Outage of extended duration.<br><br>Fire<br><br>I would be interested if any have different preparations for different types of events? Specifically do any of you prepare for the "camping at the local high-school" type events differently from the "gotta leave the state" type of events? Or do you all consider the "camping at the local high-school" a side-effect of poor preparation?

#4391 - 02/23/02 01:10 AM Re: BOBs?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Camping int he gym isn't a sign of poor prep, unless you've got bigger cajones than brains. Most schools are built on high ground and were made under the auspices of the civil diefense int he 50s and 60s. And that is were the medical and logistical teams will be.<br><br>Oh, and Brad, the entire Conneticut River follows a fault line. smile A semi-active one at that. I live just across the River from Littleton, and I've been rattle hard enough to feel it two or three times in the past 10 years. Not San Andreas class, by any means, but the whole northeast is ready for a significant seismic event.

#4392 - 02/23/02 01:38 AM Re: BOBs?
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Well, for us most of those scenarios mean stay put, even if the house is down (maybe especially if it is). But we're prepared for dealing with those kind of situations (and have dealt with some of them at this home). Industrial accident that would affect us is unlikely but remotely possible, due to (lack of) proximity. It's an interesting question - discounting TEOTWAWKI scenarios, which are outside the pale of this group.<br><br>Scouter Tom

#4393 - 02/23/02 02:02 AM Re: BOBs?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Industrial accidents are not as unlikely as you might think. For example do you have a major road or rail within 5 miles? If so a reasonably serious chemical spill with vapors is something you might want to consider.

#4394 - 02/23/02 03:23 AM Re: BOBs?
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
You are correct. "major" and "within 5 miles" = no. Fortunate circumstance of topography. Of course, a barge incident on the Mississippi could be potentially huge... The heavy rail and truck traffic envelops us but at a decent distance - as I said, remote possibility. Your point is well taken, of course.

#4395 - 02/23/02 04:18 AM Re: BOBs?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hazmat situations almost nessessitate that you camp in the gym, if for no other reason than decontamination crews would have at least some people there. At your own place, good luck.<br><br>My favorite "gotta bail" scenario is forest fire- as dry as the last two years have been in the Northeast, and as little snow as we've had so far, those of us in rural New England, New York, and Pennsylvania might wan't to think about that one.<br><br>

#4396 - 02/23/02 04:31 AM Re: BOBs?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Again, different situations require different responses. Here in So Cal, fires happen. A few years ago, I had the car loaded with priority items (sleeping three year old was right on top of the pile) as a fire burned to within half a mile of our place. My concern then was for preserving important papers and sundry family heirlooms and photos that would have burned up. Priorities would be different in a hazmat situation where the house contents would most likely survive (Note the child like faith that the authorities would prevent looting). I would sure stay at home if that option is even remotely feasible.

#4397 - 02/23/02 04:41 AM Re: BOBs?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I plan definitely to stay at home while coping with earthquakes - basic strategy is to camp in the rubble while sorting things out. Why leave home during a power outage? I woud also use the camp gear and dress warmer if it is cool. I would enjoy freedom from TV but miss checking in on this forum...Come to think of it, if Kavanaugh and I are both quiet at the same time, it may be an indication that Southern California has experienced another earthquake.<br><br>I feel sorry for those folks on the high plains who have to cope with tornados - their homes leave them.

#4398 - 02/23/02 06:48 AM Re: BOBs?
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Brad,<br><br>In general, we prefer to bug in. Don't forget what they call people who bug out -- refugees. <br><br>For us, the concerns include:<br><br>Fire;<br><br>Earthquake;<br><br>Civil unrest;<br><br>Chemical spills; and<br><br>NBC attack.<br><br>We live 3/8 ths of mile from an area in a national forest which burns about every 5 years. Six years ago our neighbor's house burned to the ground (from an external electrical fire). Its wood shake roof was 8' from ours. We reroofed with a highly fire-resistant synthetic shingle, and installed an elaborate alarm system. Our generator-pump system may also allow use of pool water for fire suppression (if i ever get the system completed). I've also had to evacuate my office on several occasions due to fires in adjacent offices. A major fire might compel evacuation.<br><br>Significant earthquakes in my area occur every few years. We have worked to strengthen the home against earthquakes. If my house were seriously damaged, we would temporarily move to our travel trailer stored in the backyard (and thereby discourage looting). My office was evacuated once briefly due to earthquake damage. Fortunately with modest preparation, I can do much of my work (law practice) away from my office. My wife's hospital has taken the usual strengthening precautions. If necessary, she could walk home in 1 1/2 hours. The children's school is 3 blocks from home.<br><br>We live and work in the suburbs of a metropolis. My previously more urban office had to be evacuated once due to nearby rioting. A number of my (less prepared) colleagues sent their families elsewhere during the riots. My wife's route to her former urban work was somewhat unsafe. We have shifted our work away from the more heavily urbanized regions. Heavily owner-occupied areas tend not to loot, burn, and riot. That hazard has been reduced. Leaving our home does not seem foreseeable for us.<br><br>We are near several highways and some industry so chemical spills and fires causing poison gas plumes are quite possible. Our road systems are probably adequate to allow for evacuation of limited areas. So that is a possibility.<br><br>We live and work within ready commuting distance from and downwind of a metropolis. The Al Qaida (Sp ?) terrorists have already attempted one attack there. They like to return to finish their work. Unfortunately our highway system is barely functional in normal rush hour traffic. Timely evacuation following an NBC attack does not seem feasible.<br>Aside from getting the means to seal the house against entry by short-lived agents, I haven't found any good solutions to that remote potential problem here (short of permanently relocating). <br><br>Thus with good precautions, one can somewhat reduce, but not eliminate, the need to leave home and become a refugee.<br><br>John<br>

Edited by johnbaker (02/23/02 06:52 AM)

#4399 - 02/23/02 02:31 PM Re: BOBs?
Anonymous
Unregistered

>Of course, a barge incident on the Mississippi could be potentially huge... <<br><br>Whoa... that caused an immediate flashback to "The Rift" by Walter Jon Williams. Highly recommended reading, if you haven't. It's the most entertaining book of the "apocalyptic" genre I've read in decades- and I'm nowhere near there.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 283 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.