Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#4364 - 02/22/02 02:07 AM In praise of the vest...
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the past few months I’ve become a devotee of the “cargo” vest for casual wear. I usually carry… well, a lot of stuff in a soft attache/shoulder pouch, which I just stick in the car wherever I’m going. If I’m going into an office all day, I take it, but if I’m not going to be long and not going far, I just leave it in the car. It's worked out pretty well.<br><br>Sometimes, though, it’s not appropriate to be lugging around a big pouch, and sometimes you just don’t feel like it. Long walks through the suburbs, for instance, or theaters, or restaurants, or malls and shops where bags tend to make security nervous, or areas where they are now posting “no bags allowed” (museums and sporting events), which seem to be getting a lot more common.<br><br>Cargo vests must not be fashionable now, because I picked up a few brand new ones very cheaply, through different sources. Since it’s been some years since I turned the young ladies’ heads when I entered a room, I really don’t much care if they’re currently fashionable or not. On the other hand, I’m not talking about “tactical” vests or “survival” vests here, just casual wear with lots of pockets, that won’t have people calling security when they see you coming.<br><br>Note that the ones that cover the waistband offer advantages even without using the pockets; they automatically cover anything you’re wearing at belt level, and they seem more appropriate than sports jackets (the usual approach for this) in some contexts. On the other hand, the vest does not have the positive class connotations that a sports jacket does, which can be very useful at times as well…<br><br>A couple of the ones I picked up have been insulated (fleece or polyester), but, so far, I prefer the uninsulated cotton type for versatility. You can always wear a sweater or something underneath. So far, my favorite is one that I paid full price for, made by “Trail Designs” which I’ve seen advertised in Brigade Quartermasters, but I bought mine at REI since I had unused credit there. It’s cotton, OD, buttons up the front, has something more than 20 pockets, almost half of them on the inside, and has lots of nice touches, like pen pockets where it’s handy, and velcro tabs to hold the wire for a headset (radio, cell, tunes). <br><br>This is a LOT of pockets. I can carry a PSK, a pen, a cell phone, a palmtop computer, a paperback book, keyring with associated junk, reading glasses, fleece cap, sunglasses, tiny pocket umbrella, lighter, Leatherman Wave, checkbook… and I haven’t even made a dent in the capacity. In fact, you could load it up with enough stuff to make it hard to move.<br><br>Ok, so you look a little like a Dan Rather wannabee. Or, more like a journalist wannabee, which come to think of it is how Dan Rather himself usually looks in the field. Notice how all of his “field” outfits always look like they’re fresh from the cleaners, or maybe brand new? I digress...<br><br>I wouldn’t presume to instruct anyone on how to pick their clothing (quality, fit), but it might be worth mentioning a couple of vest properties one might not think of:<br><br> Cargo pockets: Lots. Raison d’etre.<br><br> Color: Well, you already have preferences, but it’s worth noting that the pockets are much harder to notice on black vests.<br><br> “Hand warmer” pockets: You’ll miss these if they’re not there. Not only are they handy to have a place to rest your hands, but they really do help keep you warm- not necessarily from insulation, but by shelter from wind and proximity to core body heat. The hands are usually the first things to get chilled, and sometimes if you can keep them warm you stay comfortable overall. One vest I tried had hand warmer pockets, but the openings were almost too small to get hands in and out of- not what I’d want in an emergency.<br><br> Front closure: No kidding, one vest I tried on didn’t have any- no zipper, buttons, nothing.<br><br> Size: Remember, you might want it to fit over sweaters, at least, and over whatever you still wear on your belt. Also, if you close the front, it gets noticeably snugger as you fill up the pockets.<br><br> Length: Long enough to easily cover the waistband is an advantage, especially if you still intend to carry gear or weapons on your belt. I prefer the sort of “shirt cut”, with vents at the side that make it easier to get to pants pockets.<br><br> Collar: Useful to keep equipment straps from chafing your neck.<br><br>Just a thought.<br>

#4365 - 02/22/02 03:21 AM Re: In praise of the vest...
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One of the vest's most overlooked features is the mobility it affords. Look at an old Charlie Russell painting sometime. Those cowboys wore vests for warmth and protection and the ease of mobility needed horseback. Ditto for Fly fishermen.

#4366 - 02/22/02 03:54 AM Re: In praise of the vest...
Anonymous
Unregistered

*nods, knowingly* <br><br>When I was in college, I wore one of the Camp Trails model you described every day. Just for ha-has, I weighed it one day, and was stuffed to find out I have almost 14 pounds of tools, pens, keys, calculators, and the usual stuff in there. Water flask. 1st aid module. batteries. Notebook. Paperback (look, some of those general education lectures get pretty dull when it's the sixth day in a row with the same script). Along with the leatherman and minimag on my belt. <br><br>The only problem with them is that if you wear one wiht a lot of weight in it, even with countering weights in a back game pouch, it startes to effect your neck. I've not warn my vest at all for about a year now, and I still have a perminant cric in my neck from it. Just something to keep in mind.<br><br>Although, mine probably WAS overloaded. It probably could have stopped small caliber pistol or birdshot. smile

#4367 - 02/25/02 10:20 PM Re: In praise of the vest...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wore a Royal Robbins type vest every day in college for several years. My computer science classes were mainly programming so I didn't need to bring a textbook to class, so I just shoved a Jeppesen kneeboard in my pocket for notes, and the stuff that normally goes in my backpack into the vest pockets.<br><br>Cargo pants are still trendy on campus (I will graduate later) and while the photo vests stick out, my Domke journalists' jacket doesn't. I prefer jackets to vests because they don't stick out as much, though in California it gets uncomfortable during the summer. The thing converts to a vest, though.<br><br>I haven't gotten any weird looks with my jacket like I did when I was wearing my Royal Robbins vest (before vests got trendy).

#4368 - 03/22/02 01:58 AM Re: In praise of the vest...
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I too find a good vest provides nearly unlimited uses.<br><br>My daily wear vest is a Filson Style 8 Cruiser Vest(www.filson.com) custom made in 26oz Wool. It has 7 pockets including a complete double back pocket. It serves as my primary "On-Body" PSK. I carry a small Sebenza, a SureFire E2, a Silva MatchCase, a pouch of firestarting stuff, extra batteries, a whistle, Potable Aqua, diamond knife sharpener, wool hat, Tacoma storm shelter, silk and cotton bandanas, 17m paracord, platypus water bottle, small first aid pouch and a daily planner calendar. It covers my belt line therefore concealing my Leatherman etc. <br><br>I have worn this nearly everyday to work for 7 years! It is a signature item for me. Filson clothes are very expensive but I can attest to their durability, style and function. My vest shows almost no wear after 7 years. It looks good and has no paramilitary look. Everyone expects me to wear it, few know its hidden features.<br><br>Seattle moderate temperatures all year long allow me to wear this vest nearly every day. Office temperatures always allow me to wear this vest. This same model is available in stock as a cotton canvas version (Tin Cloth) which may be appropriate in hotter climates.<br><br>I cannot recommend a single item any higher. I think of it as a Wool Altoids Tin.<br><br>Randy<br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 277 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.