Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#4269 - 04/13/06 04:39 PM Re: Opinion on windproof lighters
Anonymous
Unregistered

i came across your survival forum, specifically the thread on lighters/igniters. I hope I'm not violating your rules for 'bumping' old threads. but i wanted to let y'all know, i have sold/repaired every type of lighter from '30s zippos and ronsons to the colibri quantums. while the quantums(the flameless/windproof ones) get a bad rap, when properly tweaked, they will give YEARS of dependable, unbeatable service, even in 40+mph winds. The little coil/screen in the nozzle is actually platinum and acts as a catalyst in contact with the burning butane.(I won't pretend to fully understand it.) The result is once ignited, the platinum screen, with a very high melting point, will glow white-hot, and while a gust might actually blow out the flame, the screen is hot enough to immediately re-ignite the butane(or the reaction between the butane and the platinum does; not sure which) either way the end result is you cannot blow it out. They get a bad rap for two reasons: one is that if you use anything but filtered butane, the tiny,tiny aperture in the nozzle clogs. About half the time I've been able to clear the clog by removing the burner and blowing it out with compressed air. Not necessarily something I'd recommend anyone trying, unless they have a lot of confidence in their mechanical skills, and are very methodical about keeping track of where each part came from. Much better for them to avoid it altogether by using only filtered butane. Colibri or Vector butane are the best, and while pricier than zippo or ronson, a small price to keep a 60 dollar lighter out of the trash can. The second reason is that often, the first time you fill the lighter after buying it, it seems like the flame is always barely there, even with the lighter cranked up. It took me a lot of warranty returns to figure out that when the lighters are assembled, the final step is filling the lighter and setting the governor on the flame height adjuster, on the bottom of the lighter. Apparently at the factory they fill it off a huge cylinder of butane, at 30-60 p.s.i.(my best guess), then set the governor so that cranked up, the flame is a high as it needs to be without overheating the burner, which is fine until the first time you fill it off the store-bought butane cane, which is less than half the p.s.i of the tank it gets filled off at the factory. So, obviously, it never is able to develop the kind of pressure needed, set the way it is. This is easily remedied: with a phillips jeweler's screwdriver, remove the bottom of the lighter, taking care not to tear or lose the o-ring seal at the top of the case bottom. You'll see a black plastic ring around the adjuster on the bottom; carefully take that ring off,rotate approx 15 degrees clockwise, and replace. With the case bottom still off, ignite the lighter. Turned up all the way(counter-clockwise) the flame should almost blow itself out with a full tank. If not, repeat removing ring and rotating. Reassemble case, and I always grease that o-ring before replacing; it can't hurt. Ditto with the o-ring in the lid. If the lighter still gets water inside when immersed, tightening the lid hinge screw a little tiny, TINY bit should help. Properly adjusted, I have taken one of the original quantums to a depth of 40 feet with no flooding.

One other tip to improve their lifspan, or at least between factory service: when the flame height drops, obviously you can turn it up, and should turn it back down when filling; however, every up/down adjustment wears that valves o-ring just a little. If you're in the field, go ahead and adjust, but if you're near a can of butane, refill instead. Saves a little wear and tear, and it's always good to be topped off- you never know when you might not get a chance again for awhile.

I keep survival kits packed in my truck, at home, etc. I keep a quantum(plus backup matches and magnesium/flint bar) in each. Two of the quantums are 5+ years old and have been in kits for 3+ years; everytime I've checked them, they're still full and functioning great.

I suppose these tips would apply to other brands as well, but don't hold me to it.

Should anyone have questions, or have a lighter they need serviced, they're more than welcome to contact me, either at my store Pipes Plus in Austin Texas(512-479-7473) or by email at (remove spaces) kent @ pipes plus . com

#4270 - 04/13/06 08:23 PM Re: Opinion on windproof lighters
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Speaking as a gadget addict and not so closet pyromaniac, most so called wind resistant/waterproof lighters are nothing of the kind. They are also subject to the same temperature limitations of any gas powered lighter. They do, however have their advanages. If you need to apply a hot flame to tinder fast then they come into their own. I have one in my E.D.C. along with a bic lighter and a firestick. My one is top end quality and believe me it shows. Also, regarding the diver scenario, and bearing in mind that I am not a diver, I would put one, along with a firestick, knife, a butane lighter, puritabs, mirror, several wetfire cubes and a space blanket in a waterproof pouch obf about 1.5 litres capacity. Which I would stash somewhere about my person. A rolled up 1Liter flexibottle would also be helpfull as well.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 486 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.