Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#409 - 03/20/01 10:12 AM repackaging portable aqua
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the medical field we too have volative aromatics that permeate most plastics if not metals in time-example nitroglycerine tablets...so I would recommend a cheap way to repackage the Portable Aqua is to obtain the mini-bottles of nitroglycerin for sublingual use and replace the tablets with<br>the iodine tabs from the larger Portable Aqua bottle, the inner lid of the nitro bottles have what i believe to be teflon already in place, but if in doubt and I suggest you confirm this, then teflon tape is easily found in the plumbers section of most majore hardware stores like Lowes or Home Depot...quite possible a relative may be on this med for angina...the bottles fit easily into my tobacco tins and also my small Otter box that is permanently affixed to my PFD.<br><br>

#410 - 03/29/01 04:09 PM Re: repackaging portable aqua
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've bought some small bottles with teflon lined top from Barry Schuchart, listed by Doug on this website. 2 sizes. Email him. Pleasant to shop from.<br>This is Doug's listing.<br>BlueLine Outfitters, Inc.<br>774 Fairview Dr.<br>Hanover, PA 17331-9748<br>717-632-7681<br>FAX: 717-632-7681<br>Email: blschuchart@netrax.net<br>(Cutlery, Survival, Military and Law Enforcement Supplies)<br>Or read at this link:<br>http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum18/HTML/001063.html<br><br>Walter<br><br><br><br>

#411 - 10/24/01 06:09 PM repackaging potable aqua, another idea
Anonymous
Unregistered

Question for Doug or others: <br><br>Doug posted how difficult it is to repack the iodine Potable Aqua tablets in various materials because it was corrosive to most of them. The post above indicates that iodine and nitro-glycerine have similar properties and that the nitro containers may be good for iodine. I wonder if that is true for the metal nitro vials that heart patients sometimes carry on keychains. <br><br>These might be an alternative to the small glass vials for repacking iodine. They would be less likely to crack or shatter, allow no light to enter, and have a lanyard loop. Many of them are too small, but I purchased one recently that is larger, rated to hold 20 nitro tablets, and is apparently made of machined aluminum with a black gasket (rubber?). It is unbelievably lightweight and has similar dimentions to the 1/2 dram glass vials. The threads for the cap could easily be sealed with teflon tape in case the rubber gasket would be affected by the iodine. That would leave only aluminum and teflon exposed to the iodine. <br><br>I wonder if iodine is corrosive to aluminum. I plan on testing the vial, but wanted to learn of any obvious problems that are already known. Doug, did your experimentation show problems with aluminum and/or rubber?<br><br>Thanks!

#412 - 10/27/01 12:07 AM Re: repackaging potable aqua, another idea
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>I wonder if iodine is corrosive to aluminum. <br><br>I just spoke with my smart sibling (Ph. D. in organic chemistry from U.C. Berkeley!!!) who says that in their lab, iodine was always stored in big brown glass bottles. She pulled up a webpage ( www.fpsmith.com/sscorrs.htm) that shows the corrosiveness of substances with stainless steel. Apparently iodine is very corrosive. She didn't know if this would cross over to aluminum. She suggested a brown prescription pill bottle *might* be an option if wrapping the brown glass bottle with tape doesn't pan out.<br><br>She freely admitted that she's no metallurgy expert, so take all this with a grain of (iodized) salt (sorry, I couldn't resist!).<br><br>Just my two cents' worth!

#413 - 10/27/01 12:15 AM Yikes!
Anonymous
Unregistered

From the website:<br><br>chemmovies.unl.edu/Chemistry/RedoxLP/a10.html <br><br>Aluminum is oxidized by iodine after a few drops of water are added to initiate the reaction. A copious violet cloud forms in addition to a bright flame.<br>************************************************<br>Hmm, the brown bottle just might be a safer option!<br>

#414 - 10/27/01 01:46 AM Re: Yikes!
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

you do realize of course, that every mature and inquisitive member of the forum is trying this in the kitchen right now? Did your smoke alarm go off?

#415 - 10/27/01 03:02 AM Re: Yikes!
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL!!!<br><br>I'm too chicken to dabble in kitchen chemistry beyond torching dryer lint with a magnesium fire starter. <br><br>Cluck, cluck.......<br>

#416 - 10/27/01 07:45 AM Re: Yikes!
Anonymous
Unregistered

<br>You can find ampules of iodine on http://www.masune-firstaid.com/ and other places I'm sure. I suspect there's<br>enough in each to purify a bathtub full of water. Smaller<br>doses may be difficult as you have to break the capsule.<br>They seem to be the right size to fit in a kit though.<br><br>

#417 - 10/27/01 01:18 PM Thanks for the info!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the warning, Bigfootpilot. I must admit, I'm tempted to try that experiment, too. Just not when I need clean water!

#418 - 10/27/01 04:17 PM Re: Yikes!
Neanderthal Offline
newbie member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Loved the post !!! " The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. " And yes, the alarm did go off.

PROVERBS 21:19

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 558 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.