Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#4206 - 05/24/02 12:53 PM Re: KI v. KIO3 at www.ki4u.com
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for the excellent thoughtful replies.

#4207 - 05/27/02 01:44 AM Re: Post Nuclear Event Survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello all - Just a quick heads up that today Sunday 5/26/02 there is an article in the the Sunday Magazine of the NY Times on nuclear terrorist attack and 'How scared should we be?'. Good info and starting point on thinking about this important issue. Made me glad to live in rural SW Wisconsin. Take care everyone and have a safe holiday.<br><br>CJREDDUN

#4208 - 05/27/02 02:52 AM Re: Post Nuclear Event Survival
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
CJ,<br><br>Thanks; interesting read, albeit from a Manhattan viewpoint. We are all downwind from something, though... While I strongly believe that it's worth knowing what to do, I also don't lose any sleep over the prospect.<br><br>Tom<br><br>PS: Here's the link to the article. One must have a (free) account with the NY Times to read the article. I no longer get their daily blurbs in my mail box because my email address changed, but my old ID/PW still work... I suggest using a throw-away emaill address to create an account there.

#4209 - 05/27/02 03:23 AM Re: Post Nuclear Event Survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom,<br><br>Thanks for the link!<br><br>Cj

#4210 - 05/29/02 06:19 PM Re: Post Nuclear Event Survival
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
Egads, the topics that come up when you haven't been reading the list for awhile. <br><br>With all due respect to Beachdoc, I wouldn't run out buying KI tablets just for the heck of it. The "experts" in these matters, such as the National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements (NCRP) has recommended against such practices. The reason is that you must compare risks.<br><br>The risk of a nuclear weapon detonation is percieved to be low. The risk of a catastrophic meltdown of a power plant is almost non-existant. The risk of a succesful terrorist attack on a plant that would release significant amounts of iodine is also incredibly small. Most experts agree that the most likely terrorist weapon of this sort will be a "dirty bomb" of radioactive materials dispersed by conventional explosives. Radioiodine would not be a likely choice for these weapons, but rather Cesium or cobalt. KI tablets won't do anything to protect from these isotopes.<br><br>Additionally, while risk of thyroid cancer incidents may be high, survival of thyroid cancer is over 99% with medical treatment. If you have thyroid cancer, a physician will give you radioiodine to destroy your thyroid gland. You will have to take drugs to replace the hormones the thyroid produces, but you will be fine. So risk of death is low.<br><br>Balance these risks with the fact that although harmless to most people, there are also many people who may have severe allergies to iodine, with reactions that can even be fatal. Again, the risk is small, but iodine allergies are fairly common, as I am sure Beachdoc can attest. Please understand what the risks are before loading up with iodine.<br><br>I can certainly understand everyones desire to be prepared for a radiological incident (especially in this group), but there is alot of misinformation out there, and the risks are not as great as the media makes them out to be. Please do not always believe what you read on a website somewhere, especially if they are trying to sell you something.<br><br>If you have questions about radiation effects, feel free to ask. Just make sure the person you ask knows what they are talking about.<br><br>Have a good one!<br><br>Greg Sackett<br>Certified Health Physicist<br>Radiation Safety Officer<br>University of Maryland Baltimore

#4211 - 05/29/02 11:33 PM Re: Post Nuclear Event Survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

Greg,<br><br>I'll agree with you that what KI protects against is among the least of a survivor's worries, radiologically speaking -- but KI is so cheap and if I had kids I don't think it would hurt to have a good supply on hand for them. With kids, the risk/benefit analysis tips the scales in their favor.<br><br>Bounce

#4212 - 05/30/02 01:03 AM Re: Post Nuclear Event Survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

Greg,<br><br>Well said and thank you!

#4213 - 05/30/02 01:35 PM Re: Post Nuclear Event Survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

The advice to "stockpile" KI is not mine. Several states are stockpiling KI for distribution or are advising those living "downrange" from nuclear plants to obtain their own. <br>I believe that the ability of the medical establishment to treat thousands of cases of thyroid cancer would be stretched to the max following an accident. <br>At a time when six months ago, people were stockpiling Cipro at hundreds of dollars a dose, spending $20 for KI is cheap "protection"<br>Opinions are just opinions and most people have them.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
Yesterday at 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.