Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#41569 - 06/07/05 07:40 PM Blade length restrictions and the Mini-RSK Mk1
anotherinkling Offline

Loc: Chicago
Greetings from the People's Republic of Chicago. I was just admiring Doug Ritter's scaled-down Mini-RSK Mk1 when I realized that it's too big to carry here in the city. Yep, a 2.5" blade is all you can carry in Chicago. Now, I often carry a Leatherman Wave or Crunch with a longer blade, because I think I could justify it as a tool, but my folder is a CRKT Mt. Shasta. It's a nicely made knife--very sturdy--but it's small. Anyone else have laws this restrictive?

#41570 - 06/08/05 04:12 AM Re: Blade length restrictions and the Mini-RSK Mk1
Vinosaur Offline
dedicated member

Loc: North Central IL
Hi, I live near Chicago, and know how you feel. Ultimately you have to decide on how to interpret the law. Yes, the law reads 2.5 inches. But if you are carrying and not a criminal, then do you really have to worry about the "law"? Yes and no. Does the law apply to you, Yes. Ask yourself this. Do you drive the speed limit every time you get in your car? Do you ever "roll through" a stop sign? We "violate" laws every day in a lot of ways. The laws are set up so that if you are a suspect and the police are "after you" it makes it easier to get you for something minor that can open the door to something bigger.

I say buy the knife you want, use it for it's intended purposes, and don't worry about the mayor who thinks he is God and go about your daily life.

JMTC.

#41571 - 06/08/05 01:35 PM Re: Blade length restrictions and the Mini-RSK Mk1
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
Sorry... here in Texas anything under 5.5" (fixed and folding) is fine as long as it isn't an auto,thrower, balisong or double-edged.

#41572 - 06/08/05 01:44 PM Re: Blade length restrictions and the Mini-RSK Mk1
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
Quote:
Do you drive the speed limit every time you get in your car? Do you ever "roll through" a stop sign?
Isn't being caught with an illegal weapon a bit more of a serious offense than traffic violations? I don't live there and don't know the details of the law so I will not speculate but rather will just pose the question. As I already stated in my other reply, Texas law allows knives up to 5.5" however, violating this law by carrying a restricted knife is a felony and carries the same penalty as carrying a gun without a license. That means jail time and big fines rather than the consequences of a mere speeding ticket. Maybe Chicago is different but I would find out for sure before violating any weapons laws. Maybe it isnt enforced but I certainly wouldn't take a chance on being the one unlucky SOB that got that wrong police officer and the wrong judge... not with a felony weapons charge in today's world.

#41573 - 06/08/05 04:00 PM Re: Blade length restrictions and the Mini-RSK Mk1
anotherinkling Offline

Loc: Chicago
I see your perspective. Using a longer knife than legal, as long as you're not a criminal committing criminal acts, shouldn't be a big deal. At the same time, having a "Weapons Violation" on one's record would be a pretty big "scarlet letter". I do have longer fixed blades in my kits, to be used in emergencies, but I'm inclined to keep my EDC within the letter of the law, however ludicrous. I envy Brian.

#41574 - 06/08/05 06:52 PM Re: Blade length restrictions and the Mini-RSK Mk1
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
"Anyone else have laws this restrictive?"

Here in the UK, a locking blade of any length is likely to be considered illegal unless you have a good reason to carry it. This prevents me from carrying the mini-RSK as a rule.

#41575 - 06/09/05 04:27 AM Re: Blade length restrictions and the Mini-RSK Mk1
Vinosaur Offline
dedicated member

Loc: North Central IL
Yes, there is a difference between exceeding the speed limit and "violating a weapons law". My point being to all the armchair lawyers is this. The police (at least the last time I checked) don't go around stopping everyone to check if they are carrying "illegal weapons". Not even in Chicago or the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia. If you aren't being a nuisance to society, and you carry a knife and use it for it's intended purposes then who gives a crap. Yes you should know the laws. Yes, you should "honor" them, but the 2.5 inch blade only pertains to the City of Chicago, not even to Cook County in which the Chicago is located. So, when on the rare occasion I choose to visit Chicago, am I going to rid myself of my CRK Large Lefty Sebby? NO!!! Just don't pull it out and wave it around like a lunatic. Trust me. Like every other major city in this great nation of ours, the police have far better things to do than worry if you are carrying a blade longer than 2.5 inches. Plus, having a "weapons violation" on your "permanent record" shouldn't be something the average Joe/Jane is worried about. It is just that kind of PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. thinking that they want. Lets all worry about "big brother" and the fact that he is watching and lets all be good little PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. and follow the herd. The laws are made to catch and prosecute "real criminals". Live your life and go about your business. I for one won't be turning in my knives and guns the way the British were forced to when suddenly mass hysteria runs rampant across the country. Hell, I could do far more bodily harm with my Land Rover than I ever could with my knife or guns.

I will share a little story and then I will turn off "rant mode".

While in the Navy I was stationed in Maine for a year. My family lived in PA and about every 2 weeks I would drive my Jeep to see them. 6.5 hours each way. Often at night. I ALWAYS carry a handgun on my longer vehicle trips. My 9mm was loaded, chambered and sitting in my glove compartment. One night I got stopped in CT on the return trip. Transporting firearms is a HUGE no-no in CT. Having it loaded and in easy reach in passenger compartment is VERY BAD! I was pulled over by CT trooper. I killed the ignition, turned on interior lights, rolled down my window, placed keys on top of Jeep and waited with my hand clearly visible on the wheel at 10 and 2. Trooper asked to see license, registration and proof of insurance. I handed him all but insurance. He asked me to get it. I told him I would rather not since it was in the glove box. He asked why, and I told him I had a loaded handgun in there and didn't feel like getting shot. He asked me to step out, he cuffed me and searched me and put me back behind his car and checked the glove box. Got the gun and insurance. Called everything in and I was clean. He asked about the gun and the way that I reacted when I was stopped. I told him I wanted to let him know I wasn't a flight risk and since I knew I was breaking the law I didn't want to take any extra chances. I told him I was in the military and traveled the road back and forth every two weeks and since I travel at night liked knowing I wasn't alone in case of "wrong doers" or incase I perhaps hit a deer and wanted to put it out of it's misery. We talked a bit and he let me go with the handgun. He said that my actions let him know I wasn't a criminal, and while yes I had violated a MAJOR law in CT punishable with heavy jail time, he understood and I should slow down to 10 over the speed limit and won’t get pulled over as a rule. Point being, I would do it again the same way. If you live within the law, you can often violate the law as long as you don't have wrong intentions.

#41576 - 06/09/05 09:24 PM Re: Blade length restrictions and the Mini-RSK Mk1
physics137 Offline
journeyman

Loc: New York City
I think the main reason he let you go was not because he didn't think you were a criminal, but as a professional courtesy to a military servicemember.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 264 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.