The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#40761 - 07/20/05 01:47 PM Re: Another scenario -- Hotel
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Life Safety is obviously the first priority in any fire situation. An orderly evacuation reduces the risk of loss of life or injury. Rated fire doors are just that, rated to provide protection from thermal/fire spread in accordance with their respective fire rating. Humans however are more likely killed or injured from smoke inhalation/toxic fumes/oxygen displacement, then being burned alive. Fire rated doors will provide some thermal protection and reduce the spread of fire, but depending upon the condition of the door seals/gaskets, may provide significantly less protection from those things (smoke inhalation/toxic fumes/oxygen displacement) that will likely kill you.

Most large structures with high occupancy risks are made from concrete, cinder block, brick, etc. The structure itself will likely not burn, but all of the wiring, carpets, furniture, paper, drapes, all pose significant smoke/toxic gas treats. Doors that are opened do increase the chance of fire/smoke spread, mainly if multiple doors are opened at the same time (think of cross ventilation). However, limiting the amount of oxygen available to a fire, will generally in and of itself not extinguish the fire. In fact the reduced heat will likely produce greater amounts of smoke/toxic gases, as incomplete combustion is more likely.

My personal belief is an orderly evacuation should remain the top priority; once you are out, you no longer present yourself as a potential victim requiring rescue.

Pete

#40762 - 07/21/05 12:14 AM Re: Another scenario -- Hotel
THIRDPIG Offline
Journeyman

I'm an Lt. with 15 years on the job. I have never had a ten minute repsponse time to anything,not in my second or even third due area. Not even on in service jobs (no lights or sirens).60-90 seconds for 911 to do their thing 3-4 for us to get there.

You folks can stay when the bell goes off,I'm out of there!

As far as auto alarms,even those that go off a lot,well I've had fires in those too. You respond as if its real EVERYTIME.You go lights and sirens you hop off the load with air pack on grab a tool and the hotel roll thats your job.

#40763 - 07/21/05 01:04 PM Re: Another scenario -- Hotel
BigAssDiesel Offline
Journeyman

Come on thirdpig, what about the 50th alarm in 6 months? And the previous 49 were false? Kudos to you and your dept. If you take all alarms seriously. When I worked in the fire service and now as a Paramedic, I have had partners, crews wo at 3 in the morning would take their time getting out of bed and geared up for that 50th alarm to same location.

#40764 - 07/21/05 08:29 PM Re: Another scenario -- Hotel
THIRDPIG Offline
Journeyman

Well the fines start after the 3rd time, by the time you hit 50 they'd be up close to 5k in fines. Not very many reach anywhere near that, in fact fire safety would be on them way before that point! All I can say is we respond the same way each time, if you got guys taking their time well the officer should do his job and correct that.

#40765 - 07/22/05 05:36 AM Re: Another scenario -- Hotel
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
dude, 50 in 6 months... try over 200 in a year! We have a resort that we are called out for fire alarms at least twice every set (3 shifts)! We're cancled enroute more often than not... We don't get completly dressed out everytime, depends on where in the resort, when , and what kind of alarm is sounding.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 240 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by clearwater
Yesterday at 06:11 PM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.