Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#39609 - 04/11/05 01:24 PM Re: The decline and fall of the Gifted Amateur?
norad45 Offline
Veteran

"When the professionals arrive let them go to work and stay out of their way but if waiting around and not acting means somebody dies, then do what you can and to hell with the attitudes others have."

Very well put.

Regards, Vince

#39610 - 04/11/05 01:42 PM Re: The decline and fall of the Gifted Amateur?
norad45 Offline
Veteran

"Just out of curiosity, have you taken a First Aid Course, and if so, how recently?"

I took first aid in the Boy Scouts well over 25 years ago. I still remember CPR but I definately could use a refresher. My employer is going to be offering a course in the near future.

"In Canada, I don't see any organized attempts to discourage people from taking First Aid courses by EMS personnel trying to protect their "turf". Maybe things are different in the States, but I'm inclined to disbelieve it. "

That's not what I am talking about. I'm sure there probably are EMT's who "protect their turf" but that is only a tiny symptom of a much larger problem.
Rather, I am referring to the general tendency of our elected/appointed leaders to discourage private citizens from looking after their own welfare. They say, "let the professionals handle it" while ignoring the very real possibility that when the time comes "the professionals", for whatever reason, won't be around. The net result of this is leading us down the road towards an unprepared, unequipped, untrained, and thoroughly cowed populace.

Regards, Vince

#39611 - 04/11/05 01:56 PM Re: the Decline and Fall-waiting for the professionals
norad45 Offline
Veteran

From today's News of the Weird by Chuck Shepard:

http://www.sltrib.com/nationworld/ci_2649372

"This is not a drill: During an emergency in December, Westminster (Md.) High School's policy on evacuating wheelchair-using students came to light, to the horror of two disabled students' parents. While smoke filled the building and the panicked students exited, teachers brought the two students to the second-floor stairwell and, rather than risk liability for mishandling them, teachers were instructed to get out themselves and leave the students there to await trained firefighters. (A month later, a special committee clarified the policy, urging that the students be left only in smoke-free stairwells.)"

#39612 - 04/11/05 02:02 PM Re: The decline and fall of the Gifted Amateur?
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Hey Vince,

The important words in the scenario are “effective” and “disaster”. In a MCI, many liberties are granted by protocol to allow for rapid triaging and care. In many cases the low priority patients (walking wounded) are perfect candidates for treatment by citizens with first aid training. The severely injured (the dead or dying), unfortunately, due to the degree of care that must be siphoned from rescue resources are provided “comfort care”. It is generally, the group in the middle, significant injuries, that are borderline life threatening, that are candidates for more formal EMS care and transport.

Pete

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 238 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.