Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#39281 - 03/25/05 10:27 AM Re: Solar Death Ray
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
"It was soundly debunked on Mythbusters last season."

I wouldn't rely on Mythbusters for science. Generally they try to reproduce one version of a myth, fail, and announce it "busted". In this case they were unable to control their focus well enough. More people, more training, and more time and experimentation could have helped. Mythbusters tend to be very restricted on time - they probably spent 3 days on this when the ancients would have spent years; and Mythbusters had about 20 staff where the ancients had armies of men to practice with. Scale matters.

There is more on this at the slashdot site. Interestingly, one of the problems is for each soldier to figure out which spot of light corresponds to his mirror/shield. Some kind of aiming mechanism, such as is used by a modern one-handed signalling mirror, would have helped. If they had such, it's been lost.

#39282 - 03/25/05 01:16 PM Re: Solar Death Ray
Anonymous
Unregistered

And unless you have access to a laser you will not be able to concentrate the light sufficiently to reach ignition temps on a wooden ship at distance. The Mythbusters fixed array consisted of >100 mirrors all aimed to a single point at a set distance. This configuaration was decided upon after having the staff try, and fail, to accurately aim the mirrors by hand. The tar sealed target was tethered at the requisite distance and no ignition was achieved. To have 100 troops, even well trained troops, hold aim on a single point on a moving target long enough to achieve ignition is not believable. Remember, this is not tinder being lit by the concentrated beam of a Fresnel lense at 6 inches. You're talking about large dimension lumber at hundreds of yards. If you choose to believe in this fantasy then I will leave you to it.
Ed

#39283 - 03/27/05 08:55 PM Re: Solar Death Ray
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Mostly I'm warning against putting your trust in Mythbusters. If you have other reasons to disbelieve, that'#s fine. For what it's worth, you don't need a laser. Light from the sun is already as near parallel as makes no difference. The size of the mirror makes a difference. What the mirror is made from makes a difference. The number of mirrors makes a difference. The soldiers would have had more time for training, and more motivation, than Mythbuster's staff. I agree they might have used a better target than timber; the boat's sails, perhaps, or rope rigging.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 650 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.