Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#3917 - 02/04/02 08:39 PM Lanyards
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Several weeks ago someone suggested using Kelty Triptease reflective cord to make lanyards. (See http://www.lanyardsupply.com/Default.htm)<br><br>I found a web site that sells breakaway lanyard connectors (http://www.lanyardsupply.com/Default.htm). The connector works with 1/8" round cord. Does anyone know the diameter of the triptease cord?<br>Also, what type of clip or connector would work best?

#3918 - 02/05/02 12:49 PM Re: Lanyards
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Kelty product I am familiar with is about 1/16 diameter. I bought a skein, intending to put it on my hat for a chin tie, but then noticed that Kelty cautions specifically against such an application. The line does work great for pitching tarps, etc. - its designed use. Be sure your lanyard connector will break away...

#3919 - 02/05/02 01:29 PM Re: Lanyards
Anonymous
Unregistered

You might try contacting Kelty directly at www.kelty.com to determine the actual diameter. They have an 800 number listed on their web site.<br><br>The cord might be too thin to be comfortable for a neck lanyard. I would think you would want wider line or flat webbing to reduce the cutting into your neck factor. The lanyard cutting into the back of the neck will be aggravated by the amount of weight you add to the lanyard.<br><br>The barrel shaped plastic break away option looks good. My kids have a couple of lanyards they got as toys with that connector. It is relatively strong but will break away. The problem I have seen is that with repeated breaking away, the mechanism wears and is not as strong to the point it takes very little to make it break. Once the kids determine it will break, they try to make it break, repeatedly. After a few sessions of repeated breaking, it will bearly hold together. <br><br>I have some lanyards that have the 1" flat webbing with velcro closures that were issued to the City of Atlanta Police department. Wide webbing to spread out the weight and velcro closure for a break away feature. I don't believe that velcro wears out. <br><br>Depending on what you have dangling from your lanyard, you might think about the width of the lanyard material. Plastic whistle, not really an issue. Photon flashlight, pocket knife, and whistle; then I would step up to the webbing. You can always add reflective tape to the objects to make then easier to spot and not rely on the lanyard to be reflective.

#3920 - 02/05/02 01:53 PM Re: Lanyards
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I finally found the product on the Kelty web site. Their specs say it's 2mm diameter, which is smaller than the 1/8" requirement for the breakaway connecter I mentioned.<br>

#3921 - 02/05/02 04:28 PM Re: Lanyards
PryBry Offline

Loc: mn, usa
I've used Shrink Tubing (used for electronics) for a break-away on neck lanyards for years... Very cheap and simple.<br>You can even adjust the break force by playing with the orientation of the lines...<br>Just my .02<br>

#3922 - 02/07/02 02:15 AM Re: Lanyards
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I just checked some of the stuff with my calipers...1/16". Seems that it would feel like a knife blade around your neck with any weight on it...

#3923 - 02/08/05 06:37 PM Re: Lanyards
bountyhunter Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
For a belt lanyard idea.

On someones web site (Possibly Ranger Rick's.) they suggested using springy coiled telephone connectors for belt lanyards for handguns and other items you don't want to become detached from your possession. Attaching a suitable clip for the use you have in mind should not be too difficult.

You can find them cheap in clearance bins, ham fests, and rummage sales.

Bountyhunter

#3924 - 02/08/05 07:16 PM Re: Lanyards
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I have, after reading the idea on Ranger Rick's, made several with a slight variation. I form the loop by using a small cable tie and then covering the cable tie and small portion of the loop with a piece of shrink-wrap. I can make one in about 5 minutes. I bought 2-3 phone cords at the dollar store, which can make quite a few depending upon what length you make them

One caution, I have not had the chance to break test the cable tie method, so be careful if the chance of being hung up exists.

Pete

#3925 - 02/08/05 11:43 PM Re: Lanyards
Anonymous
Unregistered

I keep a 24" inch length of Kelty Triptease in my altoids tin kit for a lanyard for some of the items conatined therein...the whistle, pulsar, compass, Schrade SS1, etc. I find that this would be how I'd want to transport these few items if needed.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (chaosmagnet, Jeanette_Isabelle), 282 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.