Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#39004 - 03/17/05 04:18 AM Mylar bags for emergency water containers?
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Has anyone tried mylar bags for survival kit water containers? The one's I'm thinking about see use in packaging electronics (circuit packs, etc.) I'm looking at one that a motherboard came shipped in. Anti-static, smoky gray translucent. Tough as nails. I can't imagine accidently puncturing or ripping this thing - it would take a starter cut with a knife to get a rip going. This thing would fold up nicely and could be attached to the outside of an Altoids tin kit - it would probably take up too much room inside.

Is this mylar stuff, or whatever it is, non-toxic?

#39005 - 03/17/05 07:07 AM Re: Mylar bags for emergency water containers?
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
I would not use those bags because they are not food grade. I believe that mylar itself is non toxic but they are usually coated with plastic. Some plastics are and some are not toxic. Plus some packing materials are treated with various compounds for things like insect protection etc. These would be toxic. Also you have no idea what they hjave picked up from what was shipped in them.

But if you are interested in mylar type bags they make them to hold milk and those infamous wine in a box deals. You may be able to find a local source that would give you empties for free. Just need cleaning. You might be able to find a source to get food grade bags.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#39006 - 03/17/05 01:56 PM Re: Mylar bags for emergency water containers?
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Thanks. Very good points. I've just been scrounging about the house looking at things saying, "could this be useful?" Water storage is a problem for me in a mini kit. How in the heck would one go about filling the suggested kit item - a condom - with water anyway? Filling one from a faucet seems doable, but from a natural water source? Is it a dip-and-scoop method? Then how do you tie it off so it doesn't leak and still be able to reuse it later? I guess I should buy some and go practice at a local lake, although I think the police might arrest me for indecency or lunacy if they saw me! Of course I always have a day pack or a CamelBack with a hydration bladder and maybe extra nalgene bottles, but the purpose of a pocket kit is for when you're seperated from your gear, right?

#39007 - 03/17/05 02:36 PM Re: Mylar bags for emergency water containers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check out this thread http://www.equipped.org/ubbthreads/showf...o=&vc=1 It has a lot of good water storage ideas including how to fill a condom with water.

#39008 - 03/17/05 03:01 PM Re: Mylar bags for emergency water containers?
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Based on ideas from this board I replaced all my condoms with breast milk bags. You might look into those. They are available in the infant section in any grocery store.

Regards, Vince

#39009 - 03/17/05 04:26 PM Re: Mylar bags for emergency water containers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here is a source for food grade mylar bags http://waltonfeed.com/prep.html#A The LDS and others use them for their food storage programs. There are other sources available or you could even visit your local Mormon temple and ask for more information. Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier.

Ed

#39010 - 03/17/05 07:54 PM Re: Mylar bags for emergency water containers?
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Before you order from Walton, be sure to ask how much the shipping will be. I'm not sure, but I think that's the place that charges something like $2 for a bag + $20 shipping.

Sue

#39011 - 03/18/05 02:53 AM Re: Mylar bags -- Get plastic
Jagd Offline

Loc: Wash DC
The LDS (yes, I'm one) are quite experienced at food storage. Local volunteers spend some of their time packing food (such as various grains, dehydrated fruit, etc.) for storage at local canneries, owned by the church. The packaged food is available for sale. Most of the food is stored in gallon tin cans, but they've started to use more mylar lately. To ask about mylar bags or other types of food/water containers, you can contact the local church (look in the phone book under "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) and ask for the phone number of the local cannery or food storage representative.

I'd caution you on the mylar bags--they're strong, but easily punctured. Mice chew through the mylar with grain inside when stored in the basement. The value in these bags is that when sealed, they form an excellent protection against moisture, which would damage stored food. Often mylar sealed bags are placed in protective buckets, etc. which are strong but may not have the sealing ability of mylar (which "breaths" less than plastic when sealed). Plastic has more "give" to it when stretched or punctured, and is much easier to find.

#39012 - 03/18/05 03:27 AM Re: Mylar bags for emergency water containers?
widget Offline
Addict

Don't forget the bags used to ship tropical fish in. Places like Petsmart sells them usually and they are light and strong, Safe for water and sealable. I personally bought some of the baby breast milk bags at a local phamacy. Zip shut and very safe for water carry.

#39013 - 03/18/05 08:39 AM Re: Mylar bags for emergency water containers?
03lab Offline
dedicated member

Loc: berlin.de
Has anyone tried these Water Bags?

#39014 - 03/19/05 06:16 AM Re: Mylar bags for emergency water containers?
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
It's a good idea, but I can't tell if they are sealable or not. It LOOKS like a plastic water "carrier". It doesn't say if it seals, but if you're going to pee in it, I would hope it does....

Sue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 181 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by chaosmagnet
Yesterday at 06:13 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.