Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#38869 - 03/15/05 05:15 PM Field Watch
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am getting ready to retire my 10 year old, everyday wear Seiko wristwatch and am looking to replace it with something more rugged and more functional that I won't need to take off for outdoor activities.

I have looked at everything from standard analog military style field watches to the 2.5" dia, 1/2" thick wristop computers by Suunto and High gear. In an effort to streamline my EDC, an integrated compass is a feature I am looking for. I can't decide on a watch with this function built in (Ex: Suuto Vector) or a simpler watch, less prone to malfunction with a clip on button type compass. What do you all use and/or suggest?

#38870 - 03/15/05 10:14 PM Re: Field Watch
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
Dynamo:

I'm not a watch connoisseur, so I tend to go with what's inexpensive but reliable. I use a Timex Expedition and a Suunto Clipper compass.

It's simple, works well for me, and isn't a tragedy to lose or replace.

Bear

#38871 - 03/15/05 10:24 PM Re: Field Watch
Hghvlocity Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma
It may not be glamorous, but my Casio G-Shock has never let me down. Although If I were going to replace it, I think I would prefer something with an altimeter. I really don't want an electronic compass. I just watched Primal Quest and one team got lost by using electronic compass...I think a clip on bubble would do me just fine.

#38872 - 03/16/05 01:11 AM Re: Field Watch
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I broke few Luminox watches in the past and wanted to switch to anything else but Luminox unfortunately once you get used to the illumination there is no going back. I experimented with Chase Durer UDT watch but that didn't feel right. Its metal band was either too loose or too tight and since my wrist has different thickness especially after full day of paddling on the river or carrying the patient down 10 flight of stairs I gave up on that. I tried Marathon Navigator but with it's dome crystal after few weeks my watch looked like a 10 yo piece. I went back to Luminox but instead of buying the usually "all plastic" model I got the one with carbon fiber. It is holding well so far. I also like Seiko Divers even if illumination sucks. For some reason I prefer bands like Rino (RIP) and nylon straps but in my field where there is a lot of body substances I can't wear them and need rubber straps.

I like the Suunto time pieces but they eat a lot of power and are big.

#38873 - 03/16/05 02:39 AM Re: Field Watch
SheepDog Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wild Wonderful WV
Well I got tired of having watches go south on me after the batteries started to go or never running right after the battery was changed. So I went back to the automatic.

Now I know there will be watch snobs out there who will turn their noses up and think I have taken a step backward but this watch just runs and runs. I keep it adjusted and on time by syncing it with the atomic clock in Fort Collins Colorado every couple of weeks.

My buddy’s automatic watch is about 20 years old and is still ticking away even after “forgetting” to take it off to run a jackhammer for several days.

My watch is not as accurate as the newest quartz watch out there but it will be with me for many years. I will not have to worry about it unless I’m in a lot deeper water than I ever hope to be in.

As for a compass I have several in my different kits and bags as well as a couple to wear around my neck. For day-to-day stuff this is good enough for me. I have had several on my watchband but they have never lasted very long. They tend to break or get lost in creative ways.

#38874 - 03/16/05 03:04 PM Re: Field Watch
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
For a wrist computer with compass, altimeter, thermometer, baraometer and a whole lot more, I like my timex helix.

[img]http://us.st3.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/botach_1836_27052658[/img]

For a more elegant looking watch that is still rugged and has an integrated compass i prefer my timex expedition

[img]http://www.timex.com/bin/image.tmx?image=753048122011[/img]

this is another variation on the expedition, if you prefer leather

#38875 - 03/16/05 05:22 PM Re: Field Watch
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
I'm looking for a watch too and I have an eye on the Swiss Army Officer's which looks easy to read :

http://www.swissarmy.com/webstore/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=3394&category=31

What do you think of this watch?

Besides that I'm wondering if a GMT hand would be a useful feature.

Frankie

#38876 - 03/16/05 05:27 PM Re: Field Watch
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
A GMT hand would be useful if you do something that uses GMT, like flying across multiple time zones.

#38877 - 03/16/05 05:51 PM Re: Field Watch
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
I have worked up a small collection of wristwatches, both analog and digital. I must say I have been the most satisfied with this analaog Timex Expedition.

It does everything I want. It keeps excellent time. I was down and out for about three week in February with a nasty headcold my doctor called Flu-Lite.

By the time I was recovering and back at work, my watch had lost only a second or two. Can't say that about my other watches, especially the supposedly super-accurate digitals. Those lose several seconds every week.

-- Craig

#38878 - 03/16/05 11:53 PM Re: Field Watch
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I have a Tissot T-Touch that has been excellent. Really an impressive watch, expensive, but really impressive and really durable.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 157 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by chaosmagnet
Yesterday at 06:13 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.