Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#3883 - 02/01/02 01:19 AM Strike-Anywhere matches shelf life
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is the shelf life of a Ohio blue-tip or a Diamond strike-anywhere match?<br><br>I have read Doug's excellent article on matches located at http://www.equipped.org/devices28.htm#StrikeOne. <br><br>I contacted Diamond by phone and the person answering told me that as long as they were stored cool and dry, the shelf life was indefinite.<br><br>Does anyone have contrary information? If so, what is the time interval at which I should rotate out my strike-anywhere matches?<br><br>I appreciate all responses. <br>Thank you! Xavier AZ

#3884 - 02/01/02 04:05 AM Re: Strike-Anywhere matches shelf life
red_jeep Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I recently opened up one of those metal match containers that had some old, strike-anywhere matches in there. Trying to light one, it seemed to strike, and burn, but not with a decent flame. It didn't even catch the wood on fire. Not what I'd consider usable in the least.<br><br> I'd guess they were in the neighborhood of 15-20 years old. I remembered stocking them up at my grandmother's place when I was about 10, and I'm 24 now, so add a few years of storage before that. <br><br>I'm sure they weren't always stored in ideal conditions (in the box in a humid garage, then later in that metal container) so they might last longer otherwise. But, survival situations, by defiinition, aren't ideal conditions, so I'd probably give them 5 years at best. <br><br>Get yourself some Coglahns Waterproof/Windproof matches and store them in a waterproof container. Better yet, get some "NATO Lifeboat Matches". Both kinds have huge heads (4-5X the size of a normal match head) so they won't go out easily. They're also varnished to prevent moisture from getting to them even if stored in humid conditions. The lifeboat matches are more like "strike-anywhere" but I've heard conflicting reports about their "strike-anywhereness". The Coglahns definitely require an external striker, so be sure to pack that, too.

#3885 - 02/01/02 04:47 AM Re: Strike-Anywhere matches shelf life
jet Offline
Enthusiast

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The lifeboat matches are more like "strike-anywhere" but I've heard conflicting reports about their "strike-anywhereness".<p><hr></blockquote><p>My report:<br>Lifeboat matches definitely require an external striker designed specifically for matches. I have destroyed LIfeboat matches trying in vain to ignite them on bricks, concrete, metal files, etc., but I have easily ignited them on every matchbook or matchbox striker I have ever tried them on (which is more than a few).

#3886 - 02/01/02 02:22 PM Re: Strike-Anywhere matches shelf life
Anonymous
Unregistered

Had some Diamond strike anywhere matches in a screw top aluminum container for fifteen years. They did light but not as if new. If I were going to put up strike anywhere matches, a good idea would be to vacume seal them. If you don't have a vacume sealer, go to your local sausage maker. They would probably do it for about .20 cents per box. Your Coghlan waterproof matches at $3.95 per 10 boxes would also be a good choice for long term. They are not strike anywhere, but they make a flame. Another plus of vacume sealing would be no oxygen for fuel if ignited accidently.<br><br>Regards<br>Hunter

#3887 - 02/04/02 07:42 AM Re: Strike-Anywhere matches shelf life
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Strike anywhere matches can be treated with either laquer ( nail polish) or simply dipping in a quality wax. This will improve safety and shelf life. Few expendable items maintain full strength after the 15 years described in earlier posts, including their users ;O(

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 509 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.