Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#3878 - 02/01/02 12:22 AM The great water container search.
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Hello all,<br><br>I had an idea today (choose your own smart alec reply). I'm sure someone has had it before, but it occured to me today that I have never been anywhere in the recent past without seeing a discarded aluminum soda/beer/generic beverage can. Last year I went camping, canoeing, fishing, hunting and just walking so many times I have lost count. On each occasion, even when trying to find a spot where few ever go, I have found cans. Years ago, while at the Nouthern Training Area in Okinawa (memories, misty water colored.....), deep in the jungle, I found cans. Rock hopping in Southern Utah, in places where you'd think haven't seen a person since the Anasazi, I found cans. Deep in the Olympic rain forest, looking for mushrooms and Sasquatch, I found cans (but no Sasquatch and very few mushrooms.) They are the scourge of the earth.<br><br>But...they're dandy water containers. Almost like they were made to hold liquid. And you can boil water in them.<br><br>I feel stupid for not having thought of this sooner, and I'm sure this has occured to everyone else already, but just in case, I thought I'd mention it.<br><br>Andy

#3879 - 02/01/02 02:11 AM Re: The great water container search.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree that the cans would be useful water containers and that they unfortunately be found in even the most remote areas. But I wouldn't want this to be my primary water container. In away they are a lot like restrooms and ATM machines. They seem to be every where except when you need one the most.<br><br>Brian

#3880 - 02/01/02 02:21 AM Re: The great water container search.
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Brian,<br><br>I wasn't suggesting that they be depended upon. I only wanted to point out that that they are everywhere, or so it seems, and that they should be considered before breaking out the condom or oven bag or whatever. One man's trash is another man's treasure and all that. I was so acclimatized to seeing them that I never noticed them. It was so obvious that I missed it for years. I wanted to make sure that no one else overlooks the obvious. Reminds me of a Poe short story, "The Purloined Letter." <br><br>Andy

Edited by Ade (02/01/02 02:37 AM)

#3881 - 02/04/02 08:18 AM Re: The great water container search.
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I remarked on this in an older post. Actually, a study of Mississsippi sediment rates utilized core samples that held recovered soda cans of various vintages.

#3882 - 02/05/02 12:07 AM Re: The great water container search.
Anonymous
Unregistered

1st post here ever..... hope no one minds...... Yes these cans are every where. I often find them full, canoeing... go figure? So if caught in tight spot check them out. bad beer is better than no beer;-) Mac

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 528 Guests and 94 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.