Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#38180 - 03/01/05 09:55 PM Chris Reeve One Piece Knives
Hutch4545 Offline
dedicated member

I will be in the market soon for a fixed blade knife to be used for everything one would use a fixed blade knife for – camping, hiking, backpacking etc etc. It will probably not be used for EDC though.

I like the idea of the Chris Reeve one-piece knives and have kind of settled in with the idea of the 5.5” (139 mm) range, thinking that the 7.5” (191 mm) might be a little too big and the 4” (101 mm) might be a little too small. This knife will be used to compliment either a CRK Sebenza or a Benchmade RSK Mk1. The selections are:

• Shadow IV
• Shadow IV (half guard)
• Mk VI
• Mountaineer II

Now I realize the differences in the above mentioned knives are:

• Spear point vs. Clip Point
• Full guard vs. Half guard

Which brings me to my question(s): Do any of you have experience with these knives and what do you like about one over the other that would influence your purchase.

Thanks in advance,
Hutch4545

#38181 - 03/01/05 10:55 PM Re: Chris Reeve One Piece Knives
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I only have the Shadow III in his one-piece range. The double guard has never really bothered me at all and the 4" is just about right for me. I like the spear point quite a bit for general utility use. If I was going to go for one of the longer one-piece knives I would probably buy the Shadow IV....probably with the one-guard. He has a Sable that I was actually pretty interested in a while back.

My Shadow III is just a fine knife, and I almost think that you cannot go wrong with any of those choices.

#38182 - 03/01/05 10:55 PM Re: Chris Reeve One Piece Knives
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
First, let me say, good choice. They are excellent knives. The only thing I ever noticed is that if you have to grab it quick there is really no way to index which way the blade is facing since it is a round handle. Also, it will get cold (being you are holding bare metal) and if left out in the sun it will get hot. Other then those little things it is excellent. Now, as to the knife choice. First, I would go with one that has a half guard for two reasons, being it tells you which way the blade is facing without looking and the second is it allows you to choke up on the blade with your thumb. As to spear v clip, I prefer the spear because it keeps more metal towards the tip, so less of a chance of breakage. So, with all that in mind I say get the Shadow IV in the half guard version.

#38183 - 03/01/05 11:02 PM Re: Chris Reeve One Piece Knives
Hutch4545 Offline
dedicated member

Thanks for mentioning the Sable (5.5” - 139 mm). I just realized that I forgot to include it. Although I’m not crazy about the blade shape, I would welcome input on this selection also.

Thanks,
Hutch4545

#38184 - 03/02/05 04:44 PM Re: Chris Reeve One Piece Knives
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
I also have a Shadow III and have carried it many many times. It was my even EDC for a long time. I can sum up my opinion of this knife very easily....

It lacks a little in it's ability to carve wood due to its thickness. The flip side of this is that it is thick enough to do more prying and chopping than other thinner knives its size. This is a trade-off I happily make and I have carved many fireboards and spindles with it with no problems (though it is admittedly easier with a thinner knife like my large classic Sebenza).

Everything else about this little knife gets two thumbs up from me. I love the spear point blade as it is extremely durable. I am notorious for breaking the tips off of knives and this little guy has held up to all my abuse. I am so happy with it that I have often considered getting (and probably eventually will get) the 5.5" Shadow as well, mainly so that I can get a few more things in the handle. I find much comfort and convenience in the fact that all I need is my knife and I have a blade, a tiny LED light, a sharpening stone, fire sparker, 2 types of tinder and a compass. With the 5.5" shadow I could add water purification implements also which would be a great addition.

I never step foot on to the trail without my Shadow III and sometimes still even carry it for EDC when my attire permits. Here is what I am currently storing in the handle.

3 Tinderquik Tabs
1 Red Fishing Bobber LED
1 1" Diamond Rod Hone
1 1" MFS w/ Ferrocerium Rod
1 10mm SAS Button Compass

If/when I get a 5.5" Shadow I would/will add a condom, a little duct tape and a couple of Katadyn MP1 water purification tabs.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.